Sound-check sand-baggers

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by HurricaneJesus, Feb 13, 2012.

1. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

Do you soundcheck with your guitar volume on 4 then go full blast for the real set? Stop that.

2. russ6100

russ6100 Member

It's the B3 players - I'm telling you - they're the worst offenders and they revel in it!

3. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Gold Supporting Member

never done that but then, I've found that I can do a sound check and then after the opening act all bets are off anyway.

4. rod horncastle

rod horncastle Member

I wish i didn't have to do that at most gigs. But sadly I do.

The reason: many many times i've had friends come up to me after a gig (with so-called professional soundmen) where they inform me they barely heard a note i played. Of course this is always after the soundman screamed at me that I was so loud the building was shaking and no other instruments could be heard. I base everything on how the drummer sets the volume for the stage.

All this is strange since I always want to hear clearly what every instrument is doing on stage at all times. I don't think i've ever had my Hiwatt any louder than 2.5.

When I mix sound for the band myself. I set it and don't change anything. I want the band to sound great. Its really all about the vocals after all.:munch

5. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

^I agree with this post 100%, and I've had this exact same scenario happen countless times.^

I've also had live video recordings (not from a different mix, right off the camera) in which the guitar is literally completely inaudible, to the point my guitar-player buddy ran up to me to ask if my rig broke down and if I needed to borrow an amp. Nope, the sound guy just likes kick and bass as loud as his PA can possibly reproduce it. Extremely frustrating, but so far I've ONLY had those experiences on the club level, not the big pro-sound/festival circuit. Those guys are typically pretty good at their job!

I play in a 4-pc rock-ish country band where I'm the ONLY melodic instrument. Bury the guitar and you might as well not even hire a band. I always ask the sound"guy" to please mix guitar as loud as it would be on a Keith Urban CD...

Preliminary sound check/aux mix adjustment with each individual instrument ONLY is virtually useless until the drummer is playing and the other guys kick in. Gotta have that to set the baseline stage volume or it will be impossible to get a decent monitor mix.

BTW: I own PA and studio and mixed for others for many years, so I'm not anti-sound guy in any way! Just anti-soundguy if the product they are mixing completely negates the almost 30 years I've been playing and the time and effort and money I invested to get to the show. If guitar is buried/inaudible, I might as well stay home with my family.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  6. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

No but sometimes I need to turn it up when the full band starts. It's one thing to check it on its own, but until I hear it with the drummer playing, it's kind of hard to tell for sure how loud it needs to be.

7. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

The worst is drummers who go tap-tap-tap for soundcheck and slam the sh*t outta thier drums when it's time to play.

On the other hand, when I am on an acoustic gig, I sound check at moderate dynamic level (meaning how hard I hit the instrument), and never give it all. My experience is 99% of all soundmen have never seen mandolin or dobro and I need to leave myself something to work with.

8. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I dont do this...cant do it actually.
    I am not allowed to check my lead solo level.
    Only my clean rhythm level.
    WTF is up with that?
    Then I have to mix my lead on the fly, and get the evil eye from our
    fearless leader if I'm "too loud" AFTER the solo.
    What we need to do is a solo section from a tune at full band volume, and let me solo over that to get a level.
    Why we dont do that is a mystery to yours truly. :huh

S.
    j

9. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Yeah, the drummer tends to play louder during the actual set than at soundcheck, which necessitates everyone else adjusting, which may cause him to hit a little harder still. Eventually it reaches an equilibrium, but rarely at a club "soundcheck" to an empty room.

This year, I've been amazed to have the soundguy ask me to turn up twice. That's never happened before.

10. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

It happens in the studio too, which is where it drives me crazy. "OK play for me so we can get good levels... just play normal, you know, how you always do."

Hit "record"

Everything's spiking in the red. Dammit!!! Quick adjust the levels, hit stop, "OK take 2."

11. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Because you have a crap bandleader.

12. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

There are those things called faders they have now.

13. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

i don't necessarily do that, but i certainly leave myself a little room to come up if i feel like i need to.

14. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes Supporting Member

What's a soundcheck? :)
    My gigs are show up, set up and play!

15. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

No, for the same reason I don't cheat on my taxes or rob 7-11's. I'm too honest and concerned for my fellow man. I think people who sandbag soundchecks, cheat on their taxes, and rob convenience stores are probably better off in the long run, and I view them wistfully.

16. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

I did this recently, intentionally, on a local TV show. I just had a feeling I was going to get buried had I not. Sure enough I was the only audible guitar player.

17. Baminated

Baminated Member

1st set

18. Luke V

Luke V Member

19. Uncle Pat

Uncle Pat Member

I do tell the soundman to leave me a little headroom because I WILL BE TURNING UP FOR LEADS.
    I expect the same when I'm running sound too....but I'm always leary of these too-many-stompbox-guys that spend more time tap-dancing than playing.

20. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I almost always have to turn my amp up a little after we start playing because of my drummer getting louder.

I don't think I've ever sandbagged, but I've noticed my other guitar player playing "lightly" during soundcheck before, so I will mock him for it. He also can't seem to get his clean/distorted/solo levels right, which is very frustrating, because he often sounds like a dying cat......

Also, I'm the only guy who doesn't use in-ear monitors, so I can at least hear our stage levels while we're playing. I don't always trust what's coming out of the PA (for various reasons), so I make sure I am loud enough on stage to be heard.