Sound Enhancer for Vox?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Goofball, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Goofball

Goofball Member

Hey, I've always wanted just a little more bass out of my AC30 and the Smith Sound Enhancer might be just the ticket.

Has anyone ever tried these things with a Vox?

They're kind of big and bulky, and not too mention a little expensive. Would rather hear from others' experiences before I shell out $200+ for one of these things.

Thanks, fellas!

2. rastaman

rastaman Member

I have the Xtra Large, they are awesome.... plus everything you said!

3. Goofball

Goofball Member

Thanks, rastaman! i am "that" close to getting one but want to make sure it delivers the goods.

i am a little surprised that they aren't more popular given some of the accolades I've been reading. The bulkiness must be a deterrent. And it probably would be for me if i end up not getting it b/c my car looks like that Jenga game once it's packed up for a gig. Can't imagine how i would actually get it to a club.

4. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

They seem cool...I just never have the cash left over for one :(

5. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

I've never heard of them. That might be cool with my AC15cc. There is a dealer not too far from me. I may just have to take a trip over there before long.

D

6. humbert

humbert Member

sound enhancer for a vox?

play a marshall. then play your vox. now you like it better.

7. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

I've not tried the Sound Enhancer with that particular amp, but have gotten great results with other amps. Some amps benefit more than others, but there is always a noticable improvement in bass response, loudness and projection. It's a great product and the only negative I have is the bulkiness. I suppose a fold-up version would be too problematic.

8. rastaman

rastaman Member

It made my 18w sound HUGE! Plus, it makes my JCM800 4010 sound like a 100watt half stack!

9. cpsdawg

cpsdawg Member

they do exactly what they say. noticably fatter low end, tilts amp toward your ears. they are a little bulky, but one plus is you will break your leg on it before you knock your amp off it.

10. GVDub

GVDub Member

The website hasn't been updated since 2003. Are they even still in business?

11. Teahead

Teahead Member

Isn't is a bad idea to tilt an AC30 like that? Doesn't is have a negative influence on the dissipation of heat? I'd like to be wrong about this because they look like a great idea.

Also, see the Mercury Magnetics OT thread for another way to increase the bass response and general performance of your AC30. Much easier solution to carry around too.

12. Goofball

Goofball Member

Yeah, i was reading that thread. Funny thing is, i remember another thread a month or so ago (?) where someone did all the upgrades to a UK Vox AC30 - and got minimal results. don't know if that was with the MM OT though.

I have to admit though, i'm pretty intrigued by Mercury Magnetics OT. I'll look into that a little more too.

Haven't heard the thing about not tipping an AC30 because of the heat dissipation, but it would make sense. Not a very efficient design, as you all know.

Still, my Vox has been gigged pretty routinely for about 6-7 years (and yeah, did go down on me twice in that time but it was b/c of bad tubes) - so knock on wood, it's been mostly reliable.

And, i've leaned it back against a road case for almost 90% of the gigs just so I could hear it better. ('course, if I get right in front of it, it slices my head off!). Hopefully, this isn't damaging the amp in any way but I've really become used to it pointing up at an angle. It just doesn't feel "right" any other way now.

The Sound Enhancer does look like a good idea. The bulk and expense are the two disadvantages. That, and the fact that not every stage is that big! :D

Anyone else have any experiences?