Sound guys say I'm too loud.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by guzman, Sep 22, 2009.

1. guzman

guzman Member

But believe me I'M NOT ! I play thru a Vox ac30, top boost chanel volume at half, and master at 4.

Sound guys usually make me turn it down to 2 or 2.5 so they can mic me.

So now I'm wondering how the hell they do with guys who play with 2 fully cranked marshall stacks...

Go figure...

2. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

There's one universal rule with sound guys - they always want you to turn down.

3. Cody Anchor

Cody Anchor Member

A sound guy that thinks your too loud.....nah couldn't be....... Maybe you should just run straight into a DI box:jo

4. Craig Gates

Craig Gates Member

A band I was in was sound checking one night and the sound guy came out from behind the booth, stood in front of the stage, and hollered

TURN DOWN THE DRUMS!

:rolleyes:

5. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Member

I've never heard anyone with an AC-30 that wasn't too loud (and I am not a soundman!).

6. rogwerks

rogwerks Member

7. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Me too...welcome to the club, brother.

S.
    j

8. guzman

guzman Member

c'mon guys, master volume on 2, 2.5 top... I play louder in my house.

And what about those guys with fully cranked 100w marshall stacks...

9. Balok

Balok Member

He's out front getting beamed at, you are off axis from the speakers.
    I started turning waaaay down and then putting my guitar in the floor monitor. Now the sound guy can get me in the mains and I get waaay more guitar into the house.
    If thats not an option, I'd put the amp on the ground and angle right up to your head.
    Whatever it takes to get it out of the soundmans face, because he will drop you out and everyone in the audience to the left and right will say they can't hear you.

10. sonhenry

sonhenry Member

start your sound check even louder, first off. then point you amp away from the sound guy and put a plexiglass baffle in front. You'll be fine.

And welcome to the club! Lots of members....

11. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Guitar players playing too loud, that's a new one! If your guitar is too loud compared to the vocals and the rest of the band when he has you completely out of the mix then you are too loud out front, whether you perceive it that way on stage or not. Try using a wireless and go out to the mixing board and play (at the same volume when he said you were too loud) and see for yourself. Also, tilt your amp back so the sound hits you near the ears rather than the back of your legs.

12. guzman

guzman Member

I guess the problem isn't the sound guy himself, but the mic'ing.

13. Wagster

Wagster Supporting Member

Plexi glass is your friend ;)

14. guzman

guzman Member

And by the way, if I'd play at that level on rehearsal, nobody would hear me. And we don't play that loud, because or drummer is SOFT. I guess the problem isn't the sound guy himself, but the mic'ing.

15. MudPies

MudPies Member

I have been having the same problem running my 30w 1x12 at anything above the 9:30am mark. Now I put the amp on the side of the stage facing inward so I can crank the **** out of it but not blow the soundguy away. I also use a MiniMass attenuator since it only has a single vol knob.

16. drgonzoguitar

drgonzoguitar Member

Every 10-dB increase in acoustic loudness requires ten times as much electrical power in watts. A 100 watt amp (assuming speakers are the same amount/efficiency as the 30 watt AC-30) is only about 3.33dB louder. About 1 click on a THD Hotplate.

Get a plexi-shield to place in from of your amp...or point it towards the side or back. The soundman is having phase issues with what is coming off stage and what is going through the FOH mix. You could also use an attenuator (power tube mojo at lower volumes).

You will (depending on the soundman) sound better out front if you give the soundman complete "audio" control. This doesn't mean you should give up your sweet spot on that amp! :)

17. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

We opened for a band last week whose guitarist used a 100w Marshall 1/2 stack TURNED SIDEWAYS towards offstage, away from the band. It was freaking unbelievably loud, way too loud for the band, the venue, type of music and totally unnecessary to get a good sound. But the point is that the throw from the speakers was completely away from the direction of the sound booth. You're probably killing the sound man, but you just don't know it, and don't seem to want to realize it, you just want to blame him. He's more that likely just trying to do his job the best he can to make YOUR BAND sound good. Why not help him if you can? Also, your tone might have something to do with it, too. Some of those icepick tones are unbearable out front. Lean the amp back toward your ears.

18. wootbetogod

wootbetogod Member

I second the lean-the-amp-back-toward-your-ears suggestion. When your amp is facing straight out, it's hitting you in the back of the legs and it's hitting your sound man in the front of his face -- hence the dripping flesh.

Just try tilting it back so you can hear yourself, and let him worry about the rest. Of course, if you are still too loud, you may need a shield in front of it. Heck, you could always put the amp backstage and mic it through the monitors.

19. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

What I wonder is what venues you're playing?

I have gigs where I'm expected to keep the volume down, but I also have gigs where I can put the volume of my 50 watt Plexi at bout noon and let it rip.

20. RickNew

RickNew Member

I feel your pain. But the settings you want to use on your AC 30 are loud.

I use mine only outdoors these days, and rarely at that. AC 15 much more useful.

Some good suggestions here. Point your amp away from the soundman. But for full room coverage you really want to stay in the foh mix.

AC15htv1....done