Sound hole pickup for small body acoustic

ftgjr

I was wondering what sound hole pick up would be good for my Alvarez Delta OO?

Tony Done

Is it a 4" soundhole? If it isn't, it could limit your choices. I'm using a Baggs M1 active in my old L-00 (4"soundhole), but I also installed a simple switchable treble bleed tone control to take off the bright edge if necessary.

ftgjr

Is it a 4" soundhole? If it isn't, it could limit your choices. I'm using a Baggs M1 active in my old L-00 (4"soundhole), but I also installed a simple switchable treble bleed tone control to take off the bright edge if necessary.

It's a 4 inch sound hole.

Tony Done

I can't offer any specific advice on choices, since I've had mine a long time, and also make my own soundhole pickups, but I would strongly advise getting one with adjustable pole pieces. These reason is that acoustic strings are not very magnetically active compared to electric strings, so string-to-string balance, especially between the two plain strings and the four wound ones, can be an issue.

zombywoof

I still use Dearmond soundhole pickups which back in the day were about all you could get until Bill Lawrence entered the game. The Dearmonds are just what the doctor ordered if you want to get that Lightning Hopkins/Elmore James vibe.

The best soundhole pickup I have gotten a hold of was the Dimarzio DSP 139. Problem is they were discontinued and so are tough to find. In terms of soundhole pickups in current production I like Sunrise.

Why go with a sound hole pickup, when you can get a K&K PWM for $100? It’s easy to install. I put one in my 00 12-fret, and love it.

ftgjr

Why go with a sound hole pickup, when you can get a K&K PWM for $100? It’s easy to install. I put one in my 00 12-fret, and love it.

I'm not sure how long I am keeping this guitar, as i might be getting another small body acoustic.

donm1104

I've been using a Sunrise for 30+ years. I've used them along with Trance Amulet soundboard pickups, and under saddle pickups, but now use it on its own in my D-28. However, you do need an external preamp (I prefer tube preamps for this, but a para-DI will work). To me, they are the gold standard of soundhole pickups.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom