Sound hole suppressors. Oh and NGD. Martin content.

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by FrankieSixxxgun, Apr 20, 2015.

1. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Just picked up a Martin D12X1AE last week, and while it kicks ass, it does feed back quite a bit with my 6 piece rock group. What's a top of the line sound hole suppressor I could stick in this thing that won't get in the way of the sound hole mounted preamp?

And of course, here's a couple of photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. royd

royd Member

lutehole

they aren't cheap but you can get them custom made to allow access to controls, for room for a soundhole pup, or for an odd shaped soundhole. Plus you have a variety of wood choices and cut out designs (that impacts feedback rejection)

Here's one I had made to work with my Sunrise soundhole pup in one of my Lowdens

[​IMG]

3. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

This, but you may have to cut a notch out for the controls and be careful with inserting and removing. Another option... I did a fishman matrix install on my Taylor 12 string, and had to mount the soundhole controls slightly back from the soundhole edge to let the feedback buster insert without hitting the controls. You could move yours....you then have to adjust controls at soundcheck and then forget 'em for gigtime because they're now hidden away. As you see, i have dealt with this for a while and it has always been a compromise....
    Barnzy

4. dennyman

dennyman Member

I just wanted to say that I recently played a D12X1AE at GC and was very impressed with it's acoustic sound (I didn't plug it in).

It had a fuller sound than many 12-strings I've played at 2 or 3x the price.

Congrats!

5. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Right! For an el cheapo Martin it sounds really good! Plugged in it's actually surprisingly good sounding too, but there's that feedback issue I was talking about.

I saw those Lute Hole covers, but I think I need something more heavy duty. That Feedback Buster will fit in the Martin? I haven't actually measured the sound hole diameter on either of my Dreadnoughts.

6. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

The feedback buster is the routine choice. Carefully snip out clearance for the soundhole mounted knobs. Or invest in an LR Baggs Para DI and individually notch out feedback frequencies are sound check.
    You will not really enjoy the sound of the guitar with the sound hole feedback buster in place.

7. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Okay, I'll get one of those and try it out. As long as the guitar sounds fine plugged in I'll be okay. Anything has to sound better than strings getting out of control and howling.

8. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Good thing is those standard feedback busters are cheap and do the job.
    Another quick option is to consider the geography of the stage. Changing the physical relationship between the guitar's vibrating too and the wedge monitor can do a lot of the work in reducing feedback.
    It's always best to take a minute to retro dial it out before storing the soundhole. Even live and amplified, I like how playing my guitar feels when it isnot plugged. I feel the top back and sides vibration differently and it just changes the intimate relationship I have with my workhorse acoustic when it has a feedback buster plugging it up.

9. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member