sound of amp directly in front of it

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dankayaker, Oct 31, 2005.

1. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

I've noticed that I don't care for the sound directly in front of any amp (speaker) I've owned. When I stand out of the line of fire I like the room sound of the amps much better. Anyone else notice this ? Do I just not like my speakers ? Is there a cure for this ?

2. Ed Alvarado

Ed Alvarado Member

I can relate, I like the sound of my amps better when I'm not right in front of them. I've have'nt tried these but I have thought about them for this very reason.

http://www.webervst.com/blocker.html

3. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

That has ALWAYS been a major thing for me...I have to stand to the side of any amp or the tone is painfully thin, bright, and FEELS like it lacks sustain. That said, the Weber Beam Blockers do work and work well. It's just still a habit for me(standing to the side).
    Greg

4. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

Me too! I find some differences in the severity of this problem with my various amps and speakers, but it is always there to a degree.

The Beam Blockers do work quite well; I have them installed in a Rivera K212 cabinet. For my other amps and cabinets, I made a very simple plexiglass baffle - just big enough to disperse the highs so that they blend with the other frequencies better and sooner.

Terry

5. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

Glad I'm not the only one. It's funny that I like my amp's sound when mic'd at the front of house though. I guess mic placement and the fact that my regular SM57 is so used it probably attenuates alot of the offensive frequencies.

6. 908SSP

908SSP Member

7. cleansed leper

cleansed leper Member

It's because high frequencies are directional/line-of sight & arrive at the ear sooner. Beam-blockers are kool!

8. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

Yep...
    This is why we like to mic a cab at different angles on the speaker...
    Finding the sweet spot.

keith

9. cap'n'crunch

cap'n'crunch Member

If you are gigging please think of the poor audience members who are in direct line of that treble beam. Adjust accordingly. I've been that audience member.

10. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

So... where would one mic a cab with "beam-blockers"??

11. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Maybe I should have purchased these before I got rid of my Bogner with the V30's.

Since I've been using a Zinky cab, I don't really have the need any longer for that dispersion...seems to work great.

I agree with the sentiment tho...I could neuter anyone in front of that Bogner.

EP

12. bob-i

bob-i Member

Same place I always mike a cab... about halfway between the center and edge, on a slight angle toward the center. I never mike in fron of the dome, it just accentuates that treble beam.

You can do a poorman's blocker too, just tape a small paper plate over the dome. I did that back in the 70's when I was using JBL's. I even wrote on it "Treble blocker. -3Dbm". You wouldn't believe th enumber of questions I got on that one. :rolleyes:

13. SOcular

SOcular Member

Grew up in South Georgia, live in Atlanta now, but
    Maybe too simplistic of a reply here...but I've found angling them upwards with an amp stand helps. It works fine with combos but probably not an option with head+cabinet.

14. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Clear Sonic panels work like a charm, and the audience and soundmen love them. I use them at every gig, even large outdoor events. That's why I can use 4x12 cabs and get away with it. :dude

15. bob-i

bob-i Member

Actually no that's not. Sometimes the simple answer is the best answer.

In the 70's I played large venues with a 5 piece band. For guitar I put my Twin Reverb in front of me on the tilt back legs miked. My vocal monitor would be on the other side tilted at the same angle. I never had to crank up and I never had an issue hearing myself. The band and soundman never complained because it was self limiting, try pointing a Twin at your face and you'll understand that.

For sax I had a small plexiglass reflector that hung on my mike stand in front of me. The sound relects back at you, there's no better monitor for a sax man.

KISS... Keep it simply stoopid

16. mbratch

mbratch Member

Ok, call me the outlayer...

I have a 1x12 combo and like having the speaker pointed right at my head (from a reasonable distance of course). If it's too thin/bright, I adjust tone so that it's not. To me, the sound further off-center starts to get dull/muffled/bassy.

When playing in a larger venue, the amp is mic'ed directly, so I figure the mic is getting roughly the same sound I am in this setup.

In a smaller club scenario, I either put the amp up higher facing directly out (and behind me) or I tilt it back, which also seems to work nicely even though it's not directly pointed out.

I've always had a bit of a struggle with this amp positioning stuff...

17. telewacker

telewacker Supporting Member

+1 on the Clear Sonic plexiglass baffles. I am surprised more people haven't caught on to these as they pretty much solve the "guitarist vs. the rest of the world volume war" issue, with everyone happy.

Beam Blockers help, but are no substitute for a plexiglass baffle.

18. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

I'd like to try the plexi baffles but many times there just isn't room for anything in front of my amp....I play some tiny blues clubs.....I'm lucky to have room for a mic!

The clearsonic system looks great, though. I just don't know how I'd cram it all in behind and in front of my amps.

I have beamblockers on every speaker I use. They really do the job!

19. telewacker

telewacker Supporting Member

Normally folks just use the front baffle, not the gobo thingy in back of the amp in the pic on the website.

I prefer 18"-24" of space between my cab and the center of the baffle with it set in a U shape, but I played with a guy Sat. night who set it in a flat W shape right up against his 2x12 speakers. It's flexible enough to fit the situation. Just use your ears as the guide.

20. rockon1

rockon1 Member

This is part of the problem Im experiencing with my G12H-30's. At high volume they get "ice picky" but most noticable in line with the speaker. Ive got a set Of Weber Beam Blockers on the way.