Sound of guitar strap and watch coming through pickups/amp.

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by MikeyJ, Feb 20, 2020.

1. MikeyJ

MikeyJ Member

Hi. First post here. Yay! Don’t know if this if the right place to ask this but anyway, on my 93 MIJ Jaguar, the sound of my strap moving against the body audibly comes through my pickups and amp. I can’t see, by the laws of physics, how this is possible. Only the Jag does it through my rig and I’ve tried different straps. Any thoughts?

Also, and this goes for all my guitars, when I place my wrist close to the pickups, it VERY audibly comes through. I wear my watch on my right arm (I’m left handed but play right handed) so proximity may be the problem but I’ve been playing for 30 years and it’s never been an issue. Tried different power supplies (and different watches!) and it still happens, even without gain. Tried isolating every pedal too and it still does it. Anyone ever encounter this?

Thanks

2. russ6100

russ6100 Member

If your strap rubbing against the guitar's body is audible through your amp, your pickups are microphonic.

You can try "potting" them in wax or you can replace them.

Billy Van Beck and Calebz like this.
  3. dougb415

dougb415 Silver Supporting Member

One of my old Teles did that. Annoying AF!

4. Kingpin2

Kingpin2 Member

Never had an issue with a strap, but definitely with my watch. I have an old analog Seiko self winding watch and I have to wear it on my left wrist to solve this problem. Like you, I'm also left handed but play right, so I "should" wear my watch on my right wrist, but all my guitars pick up the ticking.

5. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

Metal Straplocks on my basses are the worst. Yup, unpotted pickups. I switched to Lockit Straps.

Watch um… is it a wireless device? I know if I put my phone near pickups while it is transferring data I get all kinds of static noise. If so, keep the wireless devices far from the pickups.

6. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

Almost certainly it’s microphonic pickups. Try tapping on the body or pickups themselves to try and figure out which pickup is the worst offender.

I’m having the same issue with the bridge pickup on my tele...probably will need to get the pickup re-potted.