sound proof room?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by guitarhead90, Jan 7, 2006.

1. guitarhead90

guitarhead90 Member

i was just wanting to know how you would make a room sound
    proof for recording?

2. covert

covert Member

That isn't a simple question. First what exactly do you mean by soundproof? Are you trying to keep external sounds out? The noise you make in? Or are you referring to treating the room so that it sounds good?

Then comes the questions about where the room is located, how it is constructed, and the type or recording use to which you wish to put it. Are we talking an aparment, a basement, a garage? Control room or tracking room? Are you doing acoustic or loud electric? Just vocals with synth backing?

I could go on, but for the moment do a search and find John Sayers forum.

3. guitarhead90

guitarhead90 Member

i was wanting to keep external sounds out

4. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

FWIW, I'm about to complete a basement studio, but equipped primarily to be able to play at moderate volumes without waking my kids. My builder is providing a 'wrap' type soundproof sheathing, such that is used frequently by home theatre designers. He's used it before with great results. I'll try and get a product name and post. The other trick he used, was to frame to just below the joists, using rubber-like knuckles to complete the join. This prevents vibration from travelling through the timbers. Aside from that, The room will be carpeted and well padded, with acoustical ceiling tiles.

5. Orren

Orren Member

That depends on your goals.

Truly "sound-proof" means that not a sound from the outside gets in, and not a sound from the inside gets out. To do this, you will need to basically build a "room within a room." You'll need to line every inch and corner of your room with very heavy and expensive soundproofing materials (including ceilings and doors), and then construct another entire room on top of those soundproofing materials. Then you'll need to soundproof that room. Obviously, you cannot do this in anything other than a house you own, and unless you plan on selling your house to anyone but a musician, you'll be significantly reducing the value of your property.

I am not sure what this would cost--it would depend a lot on the materials you use. You'd be best off consulting with a professional, but I'd expect to spend in the $30,000 range.

On the other hand, if you simply want to hang heavy curtains over a window, and put up heavy soundproof foam on the walls, ceilings, and double pane all your windows, you can reduce people walking by and outside street traffic to a whisper, and probably only spend $2000-$3000 or so (depending on the size of your windows--my studio room has some pretty serious windows!)

Hope that helps,
    Orren

6. covert

covert Member

Okay, the "wrap" is probably some version of the heavy vinyl materials, which are used to add mass to sheetrock walls. and can sometimes be laid over dropped ceilings.

Now that we have established that the goal is to isolate the room, tell us about the room. What floor is it on? How is the building constructed (brick, wood, etc.)? Is the room finished or raw? Is the building attached to another? How big is the room? How much of the space can you afford to loose in the soundproofing process?

7. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

You also need to install special soundproofing duct work, seal all surfaces where they are joined, such as wall/ceiling, wall/wall, wall/floor, insulate and seal off all electrical plug boxes, all water pipes, float the floor on rubber mounts, and a bunch of other stuff that will make you want to shoot yourself or make your banker want to shoot you.

Or maybe you can both find someone else to shoot.

Like whoever's making the noise you want to get away from. ;)

8. UnderTheGroove

UnderTheGroove Supporting Member

9. RSRD

RSRD Member

man i know this is old but what a great link! thanks.