Soundboard pickup for Archtop Tacoma

Residentia

I have removed the standard issue/original Humbucker/pickguard assembly, since would rather amplify the acoustic tone of the guitar. I was thinkng of a McIntyre acoustic feather.
Has anyone put or otherwise have experience with (one of their various models) in an archtop? Any thoughts? When I called, Ms McIntyre said it hd been done; very nice folks on the phone.
Also, I'm not reallly excited by the K&K or PUTW pickups that live between the bridge foot and the top, inless you can convince me why I should be.
Mike S

Residentia

I gave up. If I get to gig this guitar, I will use the original pickup; it will not be a jazz gig (not my area of expertise); and I'm not so interested in fighting feedback, as I have several solid bodies which are my typical choice for playing out. But your question has made me think about the Feather again.
Also, I prefer the sound of my flattops for fingerstyle pieces, another reason this project is on the back burner.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
got pics? this is a real rare bird
I prefer the sound of my flattops for fingerstyle pieces
well yeah, purely acoustic archtops are generally made to be driven hard with a flatpick to bang out jazz chords in a big band rhythm section. they have stiff tops with a lot of string tension on them to be driven with some force.

the ones with electric pickups as used by more modern jazz guys are essentially electric guitars that happen to have a tone that works for that music

Trending Topics

Top Bottom