Soundcards vs. USB

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by ChrisP, Aug 13, 2019 at 11:17 AM.

1. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

Can y'all school me on SC vs. USB for a desktop Win PC?
    Are there differences in latency? Inputs? Why would I choose one over the other?
    PC will have boatloads of RAM, Win 10, SSD and will have a mid-grade processor.
    I would say MAX $ would be $250 or so unless there is good reason to spend more.
    These might be released to the general public, but probably not. This is hobby grade with a lean towards quality vs. 'what's the least I can spend?'

I just saw the sticky.... This Will be single or maybe double tracking. Over,dubs, not recording multiple sources at once.
    DAW ... IDK....
    I am setting this up for a friend. I can get Qs answers.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 12:38 PM
  2. SDH

SDH Member

Hey Chris, not sure about sound cards but I use USB for recording on my desktop Win PC. I use a Line 6 UX2 audio interface for vocals and guitar. I also use a midi keyboard via USB directly into the PC.

The key to not having latency issues is the preferences on your DAW. I use Reaper and going to options/preferences/devices I choose ASIO as the driver. It has been awhile but when downloading Reaper and the software for the UX2 they both provide the ASIO software needed to avoid latency issues.

I also record direct USB from my Fender Mustang amp. In this case I use direct sound as the driver device and do not have any latency issues.

It can be frustrating at first to get things set up correctly so you know what you are doing, but have patience and it will happen. It took me days to figure out how to get a sound out of my MIDI keyboard. :D

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 12:57 PM
    ChrisP likes this.
  3. tarweed

tarweed Member

USB is somewhat more portable than sound-card.

4. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

I haven’t used soundcard since 2005-6.
    You don’t need to use them as an input, or even an output, anymore with your DAW.
    Get a USB interface.
    USB 2.0 or 3.0 all the way.

aleclee likes this.
  5. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

A Zoom R16 makes an awesome USB interface. Bonus, bring it along for field recordings.

6. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

M-Audio used to make sound cards for recording, but you were limited to digital or line in. But they do make USB mics these days. I guess it really depends on how serious you want to get about recording - what DAW do you want, and do you want real mic XLR inputs and/or midi, etc. Sound cards don't have those.

7. MiguelDamas

MiguelDamas Member

Stick with USB. Yes it has higher latency but that's not a problem if the device has proper drivers.

Anything PCIe that's worth buying is way beyond your budget and needs.That stuff is for production studios running hundreds of tracks at high sample rates, broadcast, festivals or orchestra recordings, etc. Plus most if not all have digital inputs only, so there's another shitload of money you'd have to spend.

8. tazzboy

tazzboy Supporting Member

The only problem with USB is some them only allow 2 track audio like stereo to go over there wires

9. Madsen

Madsen Member

10. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

What sound cards are still available these days?

11. Madsen

Madsen Member

RME, Lynx, Sonic Core, Creative, Avid/Protools...

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019 at 12:46 PM
    aleclee likes this.