Soundclick Users.....I need some help

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by lgehrig4, Feb 14, 2006.

1. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

I signed up with Soundclick the other day and had the option to register as a listener or band. Even though I don't have a band I signed up as one because my intention is to eventually upload mp3's.

My question is how do you use this site? I don't want to comprimise the integrity of this site with my bad clips, but I know I've heard regular clips (non-professional /incomplete song) clips here.

I read the QA and again it only refers to signed or unsigned bands? I don't mind paying, but how do I get started?

thanks
    jeff

2. mikem

mikem Senior Member

It's easy- just upload your clips and use the linking tool to generate links to the clips. Then use the copy and paste function of your browser to get the links pasted to your posts on TGP. I post my clips on there- I have never received any kind of message saying that it is wrong or that my clips are too ******. I really could care less about the "integrity" of the site. Have you ever checked the charts out? My advice is to not worry too much about this and just get your clips uploaded so that you can post links to them here.

:D

Mike

3. lgehrig4

Thanks Mike. I was kind only joking with the integrity comment. It was just different than I had expected and I thought that I might have registered incorrectly. I assume that I didn't based on your response. thanks/Jeff

4. mikem

mikem Senior Member

Sorry bout that, Jeff. I was a little slow on the uptake I guess. I'll look forward to your clips!

Mike

5. clayville

clayville Member

I confess: I like Soundclick. It's free, it's easy (except on dial-up connections), they've let me dump more than a 125 of my "jams over backing tracks" in there over the last couple of years with saying boo, and they seem to have settled down from what used to be consistant reliability problems (site down, etc). It doesn't like pop-up blockers, but it's great for sharing your stuff with non-musician friends, etc.

Here's a tip:
    I don't use the linking tool. I find that the best way to post a link to a track is to go to your "Music" page and then click on the song name. Up pops a separate window just for that track, allowing a visitor to choose Lo-res stream, Hi-res or Download (if they're registered there). It can be irritating to some to be forced to use the Soundclick player... but those are the breaks. I just copy the URL from that pop-up window, thusly:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=239050&songID=3473571
    Folks can still navigate to the rest of your Soundclick site if they want to.

Another tip:
    You can use the "Story behind this song" box (as you're uploading) to say a few brief words that will appear in that pop-up. For some reason, the "Song description" info doesn't show up, so I just copy and paste the same text into both boxes.

6. lgehrig4

thanks for the tips guys! I just wanted to make sure that I should be using it.