Soundgarden yo !

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by nachos supreme, Jan 25, 2012.

1. nachos supreme

nachos supreme Member

So they don't seem be have lost a thing since I saw them last....which was 1994,...wow they've still got it!

2. cram

cram Member

3. sws1

sws1 Member

"Soundgarden" and "yo" don't belong in the same sentence.

4. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

Yup...saw them several months ago and it was fantastic. Very much looking forward to their new album.

5. trickness

trickness Analog with a side of DSP

How was Cornell's voice? It's been pretty blown out in the reunion performances I've heard/seen

6. dlab

dlab Member

Wrong, Cornell lost his dignity and my respect after doing that Scream album.

I'm glad Soundgarden's back though.

7. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Member

I'm sure he's heartbroken.

8. Dasein

Dasein Member

"Wrong"? -- dude you can lose respect for the guy for whatever you want -- that's cool, like if he started wearing clown shoes and baking cupcakes and writing dirty limericks, but that loss of respect wouldn't address the question of whether they still have it --- your conclusion doesn't even connect to your premise.

You hate scream --- ok check.
    you lost respect for chris because of scream --- ok check
    big leap to conclude someone is "wrong" for saying they still got it unless the "it" is only the question of your respect -- which it wasn't.

So how about you restate your whole post:
    First - take out the "wrong"
    Second say -- "after Scream it is inconceivable to my ears to acknowledge that Chris could ever deliver a vocal of a quality and integrity that would match the performances of old, and therefore I cannot conclude that they have returned to form".

or you could say "Wrong -- I heard 'em and Chris blew chuncks".... then at least your opinion would be supported by a premise (all be it an opinion - but at least one that could be challenged).

R.

9. dlab

dlab Member

:mob

"Wrong" was my reply to "they don't seem to have lost a thing," not the other part.

I don't doubt they've "still got it." I'm sure Chris' pipes sound as awesome as ever, and I'm sure the band still kills it, which makes me (and my 16-year-old self) very very happy.

God can we not even joke around here anymore?

10. skillet

skillet Member

Cornell sounded great to me when I saw them a few months ago. I was a bit worried about how some of their songs might go over, but he didn't hold back and managed to nail everything. I was impressed. And the band was -tight-, it was like they had never been apart. I'm looking forward to some new material and the chance to see them live again.

11. thrashmetl

thrashmetl Member

Holy crap! Calm down. I'd have to agree with the OP, but I'd take it a step further and say everything he did after his first solo album is completely unlistenable, but it really has no relevance. I saw Soundgarden over the summer and they were awesome, Cornell was on and I was skeptical as I heard some awful live stuff from before they disbanded in the 90's. I can't wait for the album either.

12. Jesus freak

Jesus freak Supporting Member

13. bilbal

bilbal Member

When I saw them last summer I thought they were excellent. However they were waaaaay too loud.

14. Dasein

Dasein Member

You offered nothing with regard to what they lost other than your respect. Hey I too thought Chris' solo stuff kinda blew goats.... have yet to "hear" Soundgarden reunited so I'd be interested in actually knowing "what they've lost".

15. dlab

dlab Member

It was...

Nevermind.

16. Dasein

Dasein Member

see - Nevermind was a Nirvana album - you probably just got the two bands confused.

17. dlab

dlab Member

You can dish it out but you can't take it huh?

18. skillet

skillet Member

You shut your d@mn dirty mouth! This is rock'n roll!

(Kidding -- I actually agree; the show I went to started off at a decent level but by the latter third, it was definitely too loud and made some of the songs less enjoyable.)

19. nachos supreme

nachos supreme Member

It was ordinary to start but the whole mix took 3 or 4 songs to sort itself out after that it held up pretty well.Not as powerful as in the past but pretty impressive all the same.As was his collection of 335's and Gretsch's.

Room a thousand years wide was a highlight of a good show

20. HugalosPizza

HugalosPizza Member

See I thought their Lollapalooza performance from last year was completely lacking. Thayil and Cameron can still make it do what it do, but Cornell just did not sound good. His singing is definitely less powerful these days and he seems to be blissfully unaware.