Soundproof amp room !!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by glman, Aug 15, 2008.

1. glman

glman Member

here's a photo of my new " soundproof " amp / recording room.
    I've added double glass over my existing windows and thick doors with rubber sealing.
    the wooden floor will be done on monday - it's gonna look real nice!.
    the room is an extension of my home studio where I record my own stuff on weekends.
    i can now finally crank my amps up and record whenever I please without disturbing anyone in the house or any neighbors.
    [​IMG]
    BTW - amps shown are
    Marshall JTM 30
    gibson GA-15RV
    alessandro English - Vox BNX 212 Celestion Blue cab
    Marshall Slash Cab - Mesa Quad Pre amp and Stereo Simul-Class 295 PWR amp
    Marshall Slash 2555 head + Marshall 4x12 cab with Celestion 25 watt greenbacks
    alessandro Bluetick
    two separate 1x12 cabs - celestion blues

Lots more amps in the garage ! - couple of fenders and several boogies
    MK IIc ,
    MK III Simul Class,
    MK IV simul Class,
    Fender Bassman RI

etc...
    couple of others I forget.

anyway now i have more reasons to wake up each morning - especially on saturdays !!!!

2. SGFan

SGFan Member

That looks great! What are the room's dimensions and would you min if I asked approximately how much of an outlay you need to put into such a project? I would love to do something similar at some point in the future.

3. Randy

Randy Member

What is the wall covering? Can you give some more info on the room construction?

4. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

Two words: Awe ... some! Yeah, I'm curious as t what's on the walls as well. I hope to have my room ready by mid-September.

5. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

Is that tweed walls or do I need a checkup? Looks great BTW

6. teddys

teddys Member

Can I rent space????

Great Job!!!!:drool

7. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

I'm insanely jealous. Way more details, please. For example, what's the wall covering and did you insulate the walls in any way? What about the ceiling? Does simply doubling the windows really isolate the sound? Why in the world would you want to turn up the English ????

8. dumbell78

dumbell78 Member

Sydney by way of Muddy Water Land (Chicago)
    +1 We need more details. Ive doubled the drywall with green glue in between in my music room. Wondering what you did???

9. Keld

Keld Member

Great looking room. Congrats!

10. jpfeiff

jpfeiff Member

Sweeeeeet! I'm so envious.......

11. Paul86

Paul86 Member

You bastard, you.
    I should have this room...

12. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

you are my hero.

Care to share the specs and materials used on the walls etc..

13. glman

glman Member

4m x 3.5m - outlay would be difficult to say cause I live in south africa and it would be meaningless for me to tell you what I spent

what i can tell you is that there is nothing better than being able to turn your amp to 10 in the middle of the night and wail away till the early hours etc.....

14. glman

glman Member

I got a builder to do it for me so I cant give details but what i can tell you is than is basically normal brick etc.. then there is a an aluminium frame lattice covering all the walls about 15cm thick - it's fillid in with aerolite insulation - packed real tight - then covered with Rhino board 9 chalk filled cardboard - about 1cm thick.
    finally it's cover with thick carpet blocks.
    it's not too dead in the actual room - just perfect - it's joined to my recording studio at my house - it's basically a large vocal booth that also serves as a perfect guitar room - heaven at home

the windows are double glass with a gap in between - all air gaps in the windows are filled in with clear silicon - this is really important as sound escapes through any little ait holes - just closing a window doesnt really work
    but remember silicon in the window cracks means the windows stay closed - I'll install a small aircon unit sometime in the future but for now it's working out great
    the doors are all double doors made from solid wood with rubber sealing and a small lip along the bottom to keep it soundproof - it works like a dream.
    i'll post more pics as soon as the wooden flooring is done next week

15. Distortion

Distortion Flame Maple Maniac Silver Supporting Member

Nice setup.

I see an old Boogie 295 with the matching Quad preamp setting in the background.
    I still have one of these beasts that I bought new in the late 80's.. :)

16. glman

glman Member

you're right - i got that mesa setup in the late 80's - to me it's still the the ultimate boogie tone - it captures all the boogie tones in one box - but i just never use it anymore -
    my taste in tone has changed completely.
    I'm using the Alessandro English 99% of the time and occasionally the Marshall 2555 .
    I'm considering a red iron T-rex for later this year

17. Paul86

Paul86 Member

Hey glman,
    I keep pestering you about this, but... I have to know!
    What about the Bluetick? What is it that the English has that it hasn't? I know, I know, but I'm considering a Bluetick myself, so I'd like to know from someone who's got one.

18. Flux

Flux Member

Sweet! And that's exactly what you have to do - double up the walls, windows and doors. The whole room-within-a-room concept really works. Over the years I've had a few semi-pro studios and this is what we did each time. It's amazing how well it works to keep the sound from bleeding through to where it's not wanted. Right now, even with a fairly well insulated basement music room, I don't bother the neighbours but there's no way I can play even a small combo past lights out. I should be so lucky to have your studio. :)

19. lakesider

lakesider Member

For some real great info on how to build a room within a room go straight for the Rod Gervais book "Home Studios-Build It Like The Pros"
    This book will save you a lot of time and money in mistakes. Has a lot of resources in it and diagrams that can help you supervise your construction (or construction person)

http://www.amazon.com/Home-Recording-Studio-Build-Like/dp/1598630342

20. adamzappa

adamzappa Member

All you need is a red Wolfaardt amp.