Sounds like a torn speaker cone, but it's not??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Passenger84, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

I've got a weird sound coming from my amp. It sounds like a torn speaker cone, but I've ruled that out because it makes it with different cabs. It's a fizzy sound behind the notes I'm playing and during the notes ringing out. It gets worse with heavy delay and/or overdrive, and with delayed notes on top of each other close together in the scale.

I've had this once before, and it was bad solder connections in my pedalboard cables. But now it seems to be doing it when plugged straight into the amp as well.

Could it be bad tubes? (It's a Holland amp....EL84 power tubes, but more of a Fendery circuit). Bad solder connections in the amp? Amp not getting enough power?

I'm just wondering if anyone has had experience with this. Thanks in advance!!

2. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

I had the EXACT same problem with my Princeton Reverb, EXACTLY the same. Fizzy sound, more prominent with delay. I just yesterday got the amp back. I was told it was a bad solder joint on the power tube sockets and the power tubes weren't sitting in fully in the socket. The total service and repair cost $45.00. Check out the power tube sockets! Might be an easy fix. I was worried it was something major as when I took the amp in they all scrathced their heads, they could hear it wasn't right and like you the first thing we did was try a different cab as they thought the speaker was bad. Speaker was good. I hope this helps and let me know if your amp has the same problem.

3. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

FloridaSam, thank you so much for the reply. I was really hoping to avoid another trip to the tech, but that may be just what I have to do.....because it does sound just like a bad solder connection, and after reading your post, that just confirms that in my mind.

Guess I should learn how to service my own amps. Seems like I'm always at my tech's place.

Thanks again!!

4. SRVTWO

SRVTWO Member

Bad tubes can also make a blown speaker type sound when they finally go. A good tech should be able to go through and fix fairly easy.
    Mike

5. AlexF

AlexF Member

if not the above, cone rub?
    Al

6. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

Forgive, my ignorance, but what is cone rub? The speakers rubbing together or something rubbing on them, or is it more complicated? Thanks for the help!! :)

7. AlexF

AlexF Member

Cone rub is where the voice coil rubs against the sides of the very narrow gap it moves back and forth in. It can happen because the magnet has moved (if the speaker has been dropped etc) or because the coil has started to delaminate. A torn cone would very likely cause it too. It gives a scratchy sound as described.
    Al

8. mbetter

mbetter Member

Speaker issues have been ruled out - he says it's the same with different cabs.

9. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

Okay....I tested different cabs again, and it's still the same no matter what cab it is. Pedalboard, straight in, still there. Different guitars, still there. Different guitar-->amp cable, still there. Tried a different amp, and it sounds beautiful. So, the common factor is the amp.

Changed out all the tubes today, and still there. Even changed the power cord and outlet. (I know, I know...but anything to avoid another tech trip.)

So, it's probably time for another trip to the tech, and then perhaps a road case for the amp. The problem is, my trusted amp tech is in Hollywood, which is like 3 hours away in traffic, and gas prices are gonna be almost the same as the cost to fix it. Anyone know a good amp tech in Temecula? :)

And thanks for all the help, everyone.