SoundToys Echo Boy and Crystallizer...OMG!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Chadley, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Chadley

Chadley Member

OK.....I need your guys help. I do a lot of recording. Today just for kicks, I downloaded the demos for the Echo Boy and Crystallizer plug ins from SoundToys after reading about them in Sound on Sound magazine. The verdict?......I am speechless!

Echo Boy is the most amazing delay/reverb plug in I have ever heard in my entire life. Every sound is in this plug in. From the most vintage sounding lo fi delay to pristine chorused echos that ping pong left and right to ever thing in between. There is simply no stomp box delay that even comes remotely close to touching this plug in.

Crystallizer (inspired by the Crystal Echoes preset in the Eventide H3000) is simply breath taking as well. I have always heard this effect on recordings and always been taken back by how people acheived it. I must have these sounds.

The two plug ins combined are amazing. I could sit there all day long and tinker on the guitar and never grow tired of the lush, atmospheric landscapes that you can create by simply playing chords, harmonics, even gently rubbing on the strings or body of the guitar. I must incoporate these tones into my live rig.

My question is this.....how does one incorporate these sounds into their live set up? Would you:

1) purchase a lap top and run a completely virtual rig with something like Guitar Rig and plug ins
    2) use a lap top as a virtual effects rack and blend in the effected signal back into your live rig with something like an X-Blender
    3) Actually buy an H3000 and go with a rack set up (would that do it for me?)
    4) Go with something like an Axe-FX (under the assumption that it can cop the sounds that I am hearing in these plug ins

You thoughts would be appreciated. Also, if you are a person who owns their own computer based recording setup, please download the demos for these plug ins and see what I am talking about.

Check them out here

2. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

agreed -

I have the whole package. I use Echoboy CONSTANTLY - both in mixing and for sessions as my main guitar delay.. REALLY REAALY great sounding, locks to tempo perfectly , and has every option tweak you could hope for !!

Crystalizer is cool too - yet harder to find opportunities to use it on other people's music. ( yet.. somehow I still do )

Tremulator is also great and pretty much all I use in the studio now

great plugs in - can't imagine being without them.. ( it made me sell my 301 Space Echo )

3. smogfalls

smogfalls Member

ahh man, are these Pro Tools only? Can you get these in vst format? I use Logic and have been looking for something similar to this recently.
    Thanks in advance,
    Xan :)

4. Chadley

Chadley Member

Nope. They are available in both Audio Units and VST format. Check them out!

5. smogfalls

smogfalls Member

cool, I'll get on it as soon as I get home! Cheers

6. mapleneck72

mapleneck72 Member

The Soundtoys stuff looks great.
    I'm interested in how the new pedals that support VST's like the SM Pro Audio V-Pedal or OpenStomp will sound.

7. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

options 3 and 4 are no-go.
    I use this plug on almost every song. AU version.

8. Chadley

Chadley Member

Could you elaborate as to why? Do they not cover the same sonic territory as the plug ins or is the quality/tweakability different?

9. Chadley

Chadley Member

Are you simply using them in the studio or live? If live, how are you doing it?

10. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

I was interested in the same thing for a live rig too. They sound amazing.

11. tonewave

tonewave Member

i think there is a rack unit that runs vst plug ins that you can install on it.
    pretty cool idea, so you can take your plug ins with you.
    don't know what its called though.

12. Chadley

Chadley Member

Muse Receptor. That might be an option. Kinda pricey though.

Here is what I am currently thinking about doing.

I play live with a Mac Book Pro running Digital Performer. We run all of our click tracks/backing tracks off this machine. Digital Performer (while not the best recording software) is a great live tool if you are using live tracks.

At the end of my chain I use a Barber Launch Pad. One side will go to my amp and the other side will hit a volume pedal and then the input on my MOTU ultralite. That will be sent into DP with a low buffer setting which will pass through the plug ins (Guitar Rig, Soundtoys Crystallizer, Soundtoys Echo Boy). I will set the plug ins completely wet (not dry signal) and then simply have the FOH engineer mix the effected signal with my amped signal. The volume pedal will allow me to add or subtract the effect at any time regardless of how the rest of my chain is set up.

By doing this in DP I could potentially even have the plug in settings change song by song if I wanted to. The possibilities are pretty amazing!

We use in ear monitors as well, so I can simply blend the two outputs to monitor.

Has anyone tried this approach live?

13. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Oops, sorry for delayed response. The echoboy is not inside the h3000 as far as I know, and the the Ax-fx thingy may sound great (I have no idea) but it's not the same. I was thinking that if you love the wonderful sound of this great soundtoys achievement, then that's what you need. I'd love to have a laptop in an fx loop now that I think of it...

14. Chadley

Chadley Member

15. aeonlux

aeonlux Member

If you want those kinds of sounds with that kind of quality in a live environment, with real-time control, get an Eventide DSP7000, DSP7500, Orville, H7600, or H8000FW. Sorted!

cheers,
    Ian

16. anderson64

anderson64 Member

Hi Guys,

What about something like the V-Machine or V-Pedals?

I am in Australia and I have been hearing certain rumors about these.

:JAM:JAM

17. BMF Effects

BMF Effects Supporting Member

I keep looking at stuff like this and even though I know nothing about recording/home recording I'm afraid I could get hooked on something like this. I saw the demos for EZ Drummer and I was immediately intrigued.

18. Burgs

Burgs Member

Here's the link. Yes, I do work for the company that's developing it so I'll say nothing more - unless you ask. :)

19. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

PM sent on the V-Pedal. Will I be able to install the Sound Toys programs and use the V-Pedal in a live situation with a regular guitar and amp?

20. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

no way