Source Audio Atlas Compressor

skiprehab

I'm perfectly fine with my Xotic SP Compressor - I only use it for clean "Hysteria" type of sounds along with chorus. That being said, I have a small itch towards Atlas - not so much because of different compressor engines, but the other features;

- Is it possible to use it (like EQ2) on a two different mono settings - for example CH1 with comp and noise gate into chorus and CH1 of EQ2 for lushy clean chorus sounds and CH2 with different setting of comp and noise gate into drive pedals and CH2 of EQ2 mainly for added sustain and more controllable noise gate functions?
- Can CH1 and CH2 have different compressors, their values and noise gate levels?
Can anyone chime in? :dunno

npappas

Can anyone chime in? :dunno
Yes, you can run two different compressors for the two separate inputs, you'll just need to select "Dual Mode" from the internal routing option list. the gate seems to be global though. The input gain controls are separate.

FYI, TGP is an awesome resource and community and we try to be on here as frequently as possible, but for technical support questions we stress the importance of our contact email, as we monitor that much more closely every day.

ToneBum

Alright, it looks like the Atlas is what I need. However, anyone who’s used it maybe help me out—if I’m also in need of a pedal that can add some general EQ to my rig, will the EQ onboard the Atlas suffice or would there be a big benefit to buying an EQ2 also? In reality, I just want to use EQ to gently darken my single coil guitars and brighten my humbucker guitars. Hoping the Atlas can kill two birds.

yberwaffe

Alright, it looks like the Atlas is what I need. However, anyone who’s used it maybe help me out—if I’m also in need of a pedal that can add some general EQ to my rig, will the EQ onboard the Atlas suffice or would there be a big benefit to buying an EQ2 also? In reality, I just want to use EQ to gently darken my single coil guitars and brighten my humbucker guitars. Hoping the Atlas can kill two birds.
I don't have the unit, but it has 2 EQ's in it, one 8-band graphic and one parametric.
I fail to see how that's not enough.
Download the computer editor and play around with it to get a grasp of what it can do.

Tomtama

Silver Supporting Member
I have an EQ2 and Atlas. IMO you don't need the EQ2 unless you need hands on frequent access to change EQ settings. The EQ in the Atlas should work well for most people who want to use presets with different EQ settings. The only way to change the EQ settings on the Altas is with the app.

ToneBum

IMO you don't need the EQ2 unless you need hands on frequent access to change EQ settings.
Thanks! Super helpful.

One more question since I’m new to Source Audio—the manual says you can control the Atlas via midi through the Neuro Hub or USB. Is there a simple way to connect my midi to the usb somehow? Trying to avoid buying the Neuro Hub if I just own one SA pedal.

LionVerse

Anhedonic Misanthrope
Silver Supporting Member
Thanks! Super helpful.

One more question since I’m new to Source Audio—the manual says you can control the Atlas via midi through the Neuro Hub or USB. Is there a simple way to connect my midi to the usb somehow? Trying to avoid buying the Neuro Hub if I just own one SA pedal.
Disaster area micro ghost but it costs about the same as hub and does less. In my experience you can't have just one SA pedal so I'd go for the hub :)

SA did said they are working on a midi dongle for the small pedals right now

Tomtama

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks! Super helpful.

I'm not sure about midi over USB. I have Neuro Hubs on both of my pedalboards. The hubs are connected to my midi switchers. My SA pedals are all connected to USB hubs on my pedalboards for software updates and using the Neuro app on my Mac to configure them, but not for midi.

rsmith601

Vendor
Hi,

Looking on Source Audio's website, they're location is in Woburn MA. ©Source Audio LLC | 120 Cummings Park, Woburn, MA 01801, to be precise.

Their pedals are, Made in China.
We have a full team of design and test engineers in Mass. All are experienced guitar players. Like every other pedal company we source most of our components in Asia. While our housings say made in China, we frequently do final assembly and test in Mass. Lots of this recently, in fact. 100% of our products are tested by the team in Mass. We do some PCB assembly in Mass, but the quality is not great. Our hand soldered stuff is actually the worst quality, so we only use it for prototypes. Hand soldering SMT DSP chips sounds great, but it's not. Probably more than what you want to know, but there you go. :)

audiohub

Thanks! Super helpful.

You pretty much need the hub, (at least for now), but it's worth it if you use Midi as it opens up a bunch of *really* useful capabilities. Not just preset selection, but the ability to control the various compression parameters in real time, giving you the ability to use it as an integral expressive part of your playing, and not just an effect that is either on or off.
For instance, in one of my presets, I use a Midi expression pedal (cc 100) to simultaneously control the Blend, Threshold, and Treble amounts, allowing me to go smoothly from "no effect" to completely articulate "squish" depending on where I set the pedal. And, each preset you select can be a completely different scenario, depending on your needs.
It's a pretty incredible pedal.

rsmith601

Vendor
Please don't take this the wrong way. Source Audio guitar effects pedals are super awesome.

But, why is it that nowhere on your website or in any of your PDF file manuals is it not stated that your pedals and power supplies are, "中國製"?
It's almost like you want to avoid and deny this fact.

Why would this be?

USA, USA.. 'Merica!!!

Guarantee if the PCB, SMT DSP was produced in 'Merica, there'd be "PROUDLY MADE IN USA" labeled all over the wares.
I do wish we could source everything and make everything locally. Supply chain stuff is killing me at times. I want to be fast and flexible!

I am an engineer, so it is hard for me to play marketing games around where we make stuff.

ToneBum

The MIDI dongle is still a few months out. We are making progress. The prototype works perfectly.
Good to hear. I think I can just play with the presets for the time being as I wait for this. But question, will the dongle be USB to TRS or 5-pin MIDI? At the moment it would be wildly convenient if it were TRS as I already have a Disaster Area Midi Box 4 under my board with open space ;)

Gibs210

Good to hear. I think I can just play with the presets for the time being as I wait for this. But question, will the dongle be USB to TRS or 5-pin MIDI? At the moment it would be wildly convenient if it were TRS as I already have a Disaster Area Midi Box 4 under my board with open space ;)
I’m not positive, as I haven’t heard the final design, but it will connect to the TRRS port of the pedal and not usb, hence avoiding the need for a usb midi host.

jdunn

Silver Supporting Member
I have a discount offer for an Atlas on Reverb, but I'd like to see a picture of what the MIDI Dongle is going to look like, before I decide to buy this pedal or not. Why not just put TRS MIDI jacks on the pedal? I guess the platform doesn't allow for that.

I'm putting together a MIDI board with Matthews Effects The Futurist MIDI Controller, The Surgeon delay, and EHX 1440 looper. I dual locked my original Two Notes Torpedo CAB to the top of my KPA, so it's not on the board, but both are also wired to the MIDI controller. I'm just not sure how this is going to fit in to my setup. I might need a MIDI hub.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom