Source Audio C4 Modular Synth Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rsmith601, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Christian Surieux

Christian Surieux Member

Yes the quality of Youtube 's demos are making sales kings today... somehow stupid.
    Back to Boss pedal, no software behind, that's a bad point for me but ...

2. diego.fresh

diego.fresh Member

it seems Boss has taken aim at SA with some of their latest releases, intentional or not.... but do they have community presets?!?! I know that is not the only thing either.... no updates!

this is from an SY-300 owner in another thread:

frisco and Christian Surieux like this.
  3. Adamixoye

Adamixoye Member

There were actually ways to share and edit presets for the SY-300 but the software was garbage. Also, I'm not sure this info is entirely accurate, I think there may have been an update or two (but I could be wrong).

As for Boss in general...they have a big market of people who aren't gearheads like us. They make stuff, people buy it. Can't really fault them for not being as "boots-on-the-ground" as SA.

Christian Surieux likes this.
  4. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

The 500 series editor is pretty good. Either way unless I missed it the SY-1 doesn't have any way to connect to a computer so it seems to be aimed at the plug n play crowd which makes sense. It doesn't take long to find people in this thread who don't really want to fuss with building synth patches. It seems like a pretty powerful option for guitarists when you start utilizing the loop. Polyphony will also be appealing to guitarists IMO. The joy of a mono synth is lost on a lot of people.

5. Leocapri

Leocapri Member

Noodling around with the C4 I recognized something: If I engage the filter-section, I can't open up the cut off frequency enough so that ALL or MORE higher frequencies come through. For instance, if I want to do a filter sweep from down-low rumble to nastier frequencies, the range seems not wide enough - if that makes any sense to you. If I disengage the filter section, the voices are way more harsh, of course. Am I missing something?

And there seems to be volume differences to the envelopes: "Fast Attack" has less volume than "Fastest Attack", even at the extreme settings. Maybe I'm just posting noob-questions, so beat me, if this isn't a "bug" but simply normal behavior of the envelope. :p

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  6. Daniel Krawchuk

Daniel Krawchuk Member

The Boss sounds cool, but I'm just not super interested in what it's doing. Definitely a big jump over the SYB pedals though. Polyphony is cool, but doesn't really matter to me, as I'm a bass player. This sure has been the year of the synth pedal though, eh? We got the EHX Mono Synths, the Keeley Synth 1, the new SA pedals, and now this. Crazy!

7. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

The SY-300 has its own sort of sound that is very different than the C4 (the manner in which the polyphonic behavior is achieved is what causes this). If the SY-1 is from the SY-300, then it will also sound really different than the C4.

Help!I'maRock! likes this.
  8. wbasstrolo

wbasstrolo Member

I was also messing with the filter frequency stuff last night and running into the same confusion.
    Maybe instead of only opening up the frequency knob, there is some sort of blend work around?

9. Adamixoye

Adamixoye Member

Comparing the SY-300 and FI, I would agree. And as you state, it is my understanding that the SY-300 does polyphony different than my other point of reference, the Drop. Still, I am wondering if a "best of both worlds" product is at least theoretically possible.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  10. ElliotG

ElliotG Member

Every synth is a different instrument. The mechanisms used for sound creation are different so end up being complimentary - they cover different ground.
    The SY-1 seems like a response to the success of the EHX-9 series of pedals.
    The SY-1 , like the 9-series, lacks the flexibility of the C4. It does not have the ability for custom sonic exploration... The C4 represents a much broader sonic pallet.

I have the Boss SY-300, the Meris Enzo, and I'm patiently waiting for the C4. Looks like an amazing set of features and very powerful sound creation tool. The integration of a community created sounds integrated into the editor is great value add. From the little I have heard to date of the C4 each of these tools (SY-300, Enzo, C4) have a unique set of strengths.

misa and diego.fresh like this.
  11. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

Will we be seeing more "in-house"/factory presets for the C4 in the cloud upon official release?

12. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

Honestly, I wasn't that interested in the C4, (Enzo overwhelmed me), but the new SY-1 demos have me hoping for a synth pedal thats a little simpler (more preset/modes?) like the SY1 but with midi control. I'll have to do my C4 homework now...

13. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

A paper was written recently about a system with 1500 digital filters which could offer really fast polyphonic pitch shifting. They did all the research non-realtime and proved that it will work. Doing this in a pedal will come, but not until DSP chips are 50X faster at audio filters. (for the geeks out there, SigmaDSP is optimized to run audio filters in one cycle, so it may well get there first)

How does the SY do it? Well, think of the Source Audio Multiwave. It is possible to create perfectly tracking no-latency polyphonic synth tones with that pedal. It is limited in what it does, but so is the SY.

I think @ElliotG has it right. There are lots of different approaches at the moment that have their own characteristics. Until we can run 1500 filters in a pedal, then "polyphonic" is going to get some kind of asterisk.

LionVerse, LSMFT6 and wbasstrolo like this.
  14. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

We are trying to make the following process REALLY REALLY easy:
    1. Browse
    2. Burn
    3. Play
    4. Repeat as necessary
    With the new Desktop and Mobile, you can browse popular sounds and in one step burn that sound to the toggle switch. We realize there is a world of players that want to easily find and burn a sound that they like. If you have a pedal that has 11 sounds that you can then modify 11 ways, I think it harder, not easier.

Hugsonic and LSMFT6 like this.
  15. Flip362

Flip362 Member

Who needs factory presets when we have community presets?! :anon

16. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

That'd be me. I definitely prefer both. It certainly seems the community would benefit from seeing what people like Bob can program. Also makes the pedal much more attractive to people who want pro presets out the gate.

All the other One Series pedals have them, so it would be a most curious omission.

The Holy Drinker likes this.
  17. Tri Pedal Reviews

Tri Pedal Reviews Member

I'd be down for a "Bob Pack" :) Also, any video content with him talking about his diabolical love child would be sweet as well.

18. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

This.

vbrans and LionVerse like this.
  19. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

Bob is actually a bit more interested in the moment at creating the tools to create the sounds. Nathan has been more on the front line of creating the sounds.
    FOR THE RECORD:
    The first units of C4 will have presets as follows:
    3 crated by Nathan
    1 created by Jesse
    2 created by the community: Funky Dragon and Flashlight Bass (which sounds great on guitar)

I am going to say that the power in the community to create sounds is massive already and only going to get more intense. This, unlike any SA pedal, really shines in the world of community presets.

20. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

In the works and coming out soon!!!
    :)