Source Audio C4 Modular Synth Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rsmith601, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Tri Pedal Reviews

Tri Pedal Reviews Member

Woot! If I could like that post more than once I would.

fitzo likes this.
  2. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

That's rather disappointing, but okay. There are a number of impressive community presets, but given that people are still fumbling with levels, learning the controls, and many presets were published based on an old build with some functional glitches, that just seems weird. I know it will grow and there is a talented user base, but it is a dicey launch decision IMHO.

3. LionVerse

LionVerse Supporting Member

Too easy! I got some time to spend with the C4 yesterday intending to make some presets but there were so many new ones shared that I lost over an hour trying them all....

LSMFT6 likes this.
  4. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

I’m pretty sure Roger was referring to the 6 presets that will be available on the C4 itself, not just the ones available in the cloud. There are certainly already more than 3 Cloud presets that Nathan has created.

anxiousmofo likes this.
  5. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

Beta #9 here; I'm aware. Nathan's presets are top notch but very much weighted toward bass. Just surprised there is nothing from Bob, since it his baby and he knows better than anyone what the architecture will allow.

diego.fresh likes this.
  6. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

I just talked to Bob. His response:
    "Alright. As soon as we finish all the final polishing, I will do that. But you should warn them that my presets might sound like Charlie Christian in the 1940s!!"

cyonkers, Ratterbass, leond and 6 others like this.
  7. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

Love it! Thanks to you both. I'm down for as much Charlie Christian as he wants to dish out.

8. LionVerse

LionVerse Supporting Member

I don't recall much synth on my Benny Goodman albums :huh

9. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

Dude! You got ripped off.

leond and LionVerse like this.
  10. Eldritch Tentacles

Eldritch Tentacles Member

Is there an ETA for the mobile app working for the C4? I mean, assuming sometime before the 16th but specifically.

11. Brian Williams

Brian Williams Member

Lots of great input on this forum. I had looked at that Boss SY1 and used the preset simulator on the website.Not much there useful for bass,probably ok for guitar. Personally not interested without being able to program the thing,that's half the fun! As far as poly vs mono...my cyberbass is capable of multiple modes of both..still 98% of the time runs in mono. Presets are ok,the thing should make some sound when you get it but most of time whether keyboard,module,pedal,etc. I dump the majority of the factory stuff anyway. Hats off to Source Audio for making these pedals for those that like to program and tweak!

12. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

I am playing with a beta version of Android. Looking good. Better than expected.

By the way, the editor is now public and might be fun for folks to poke at. (view the offline editor with no pedal attached)
    https://www.sourceaudio.net/editorsandfirmware.html

13. Flip362

Flip362 Member

I watched the sy-1 video... didn’t hear a lot of usable stuff for my applications. Mono hurts me at this point. I’m excited to have stuff go straight out to delay and reverb, then other stuff back into the looper. Going to test that this weekend after the wedding!

Christian Surieux likes this.
  14. misa

misa Silver Supporting Member

Sweet! Now I can finally dive into the menus. I'm excited to finally pick one of these up. My first priority will be to emulate some of my favorite envelope filters, but then will be to try and emulate some of my favorite patches on a Deep Impact and my Moog monosynths.

SirTarquin likes this.
  15. jondom22

jondom22 Supporting Member

Since the SY-1 was brought up...based on the SY-1 demos (or at least the "sound tryout" doohikcy on their website), the sounds on the SY-1 seem similar to a lot of the factory presets in the SY-300, which I didn't care for (and another reason why a lot of people passed on the SY-300). Tho I believe the rate/depth knobs can control some other parameters that might make it sound better. I do think the SY-1 will be popular cos it's simple and assuming it tracks well like the SY-300, but it def has that particular sound which kinda is a bit cheesy.

The SY-300's square wave oscillator is really the only one I use, the others kinda sound ehhhh. But stacking 3 different square wave pitches and using filters (expression, envelope, or LFO) and maybe some pitch bending is where you can get more creative and get some real nice and dirty sounds. The arps, plus 6 LFOs (to control filter, pitch or volume), slicer, iso, pitch vibrato (via chorus) are what I mainly use in it.

I think with the C4 my main interest will be first using the filters and distortions (bit crushing, fuzzier stuff) because that will be polyphonic and synth-like, and then go-around messing with oscillators. I think the key to marketing the C4 will be really promoting about 50 very well-designed factory presets as a simple download from the editor to make it as easy as possible for people simply download, plug and play (kinda like collecting pogs, or pokemon or wtvr the hell ppl did in the 90s). And feature filter/distortion presets with and without pitch sequencer and tremelo stuff so they can easily play without having to alter their technique. At that point, they get a ton more sounds that are more unique and interesting, easily swappable, and for $40 more. Link them to the DA dmc.micro to get up to 127 presets if they want them once they get hooked on swapping presets.

16. The Holy Drinker

The Holy Drinker Member

I was just checking this out. Looks nice!
    One little feedback related to the editor (not specific to C4 screen): can you add "load the factory settings for this engine" option when changing modes/engines/presets? The app always asks for this when changing modes and it is very helpful. It would be nice to have it in the desktop editor as well.

17. Brian Williams

Brian Williams Member

OMG! Nice to get a look ,BUT cruel to those that don't have it yet! Just kidding..can't wait to get going on this box. I expected the editor to be more complex...seems really straightforward, looking good so far.

18. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

I played with it a little today, I’m digging the layout, small while still powerful, I think I like it better than the current style for the other pedals, and I liked that over the original app layout a lot! It did crash on me once when I tried to open the sequencer windows. Also, not sure if this is a leftover from true spring, but I noticed that the external switch options included a tremolo bypass, was that option added to c4, or is it just something Jesse missed while building the editor? Only thing I’d change on it is to add some color to the menus similar to the current editing windows for the app, but I’m liking it, seems to be the most intuitive thus far, which is saying a lot considering how complicated this pedal is.

anxiousmofo likes this.
  19. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

The factory settings per engine is not really the same concept as in the Nemesis/Ventris. The C4 is really a different beast. Note that presets rule in the land of the C4. They are (in general) well crafted.

20. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

You can do all this.....and much more.....

misa and anxiousmofo like this.