Source Audio C4 Modular Synth Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rsmith601, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Christian Surieux

Christian Surieux Member

No I send CC messages to my H&K from Soleman to change Boost, Volume, Presence, Resonance or other params but I use a different midi channel.

EDIT : but I have not explored a great number of CC values and may be I have been lucky ;)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    anxiousmofo likes this.
  2. LionVerse

LionVerse Supporting Member

It's not that they block messages but the midi signal degrades some as it gets passed along a chain and can not make it through a very long chain before it becomes too degraded to understand. Some devices - like the Hub- are more sensitive to this than others and need to be at the front of the chain. This is why people with large midi setups often have a midi splitter/repeater.

Christian Surieux likes this.
  3. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

Got it. That's much appreciated. I don't anticipate adding more than 2-3 MIDI compatible more pedals in the future, if that, so that's good news.

4. Woodyratm

Woodyratm Member

Folks - have a daft question...
    I have an ES-8, will I just need the hub to use the 128 patches (controlled from ES-8)? My only units I'd use midi for would be future impact and manta, and c4 of course.

Also - what's the difference between the v1 and v2 hub (white vs black)?

leond likes this.
  5. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

The only hiccup that I had with hub not being first in the midi chain (it was only the second device), was that midi clock to the small box pedals would occasionally cause the pedals to crash and reboot. Just to the small box pedals, and only when midi clock was enabled. This happened with both the soleman and a gen 3 dmc 3xl. Once i figures out the issue was the hub’s placement in the chain, I haven’t had this issue again.

I do occasionally have issues where macro messages to the programmable EQ don’t always go through. But if I place it first in the list of operations for a macro it doesn’t seem to happen. The EQ is the last in that midi chain (there devices total), and it is also the highest midi channel, but it is being fed from the hub in position 1, so I’m inclined to think that’s the issue and not its channel designation. If I send individual midi messages PC or CC, the EQ works fine.

anxiousmofo likes this.
  6. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

If you have the Manta you will need the hub in order to use midi with it, so hub will be a requirement then. The hub will be your 128 presets then, you won’t have 128 presets per pedal necessarily, though using cc103 and 104 on the c4, would allow you to recall those presets separately from the hub presets.

There is no v2 hub (yet) it’s just a cosmetic difference, the silver hub is the “soundblox” hub and the black one is the “Neuro” hub, either works with all pedals.

leond likes this.
  7. Woodyratm

Woodyratm Member

Ta!

8. DisasterArea

DisasterArea Owner, Disaster Area Designs and Alexander Pedals

No MIDI clock but can tap using MIDI CC.

9. jquanmusic

jquanmusic Member

To be young again..

10. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

I've had some come and go.

Middle-aged and well-geared, pedal wise. :)

Also, I should have said non-SA MIDI pedals. If I do buy a second Hub, I'll have more hub space tempting me. 6 One Series so far.

My board could not get any bigger, though, lest it become a floor.

jquanmusic likes this.
  11. Bassss

Bassss Member

Oh ok the difference being that after tap tempo is sent it won't readjust since there are no continuous clock messages, just the initial tap. And is this sent via midi still?

Christian Surieux likes this.
  12. Christian Surieux

Christian Surieux Member

Working with more than one hub from the Neuro Desktop is really interesting, having this dashboard for all the scenes and pedals is nice.
    BUT the handling of several hubs has to be improved in many ways:
    1) Actually you open one view/ hub BUT you could have only one hub view opened at the same time. It would be nice to be able to open all the hub views without being able to close the last one.
    A better way should be to open a global View containing all the hubs, this would imply opening several preset view (one for each hub) with this global View.
    2) Actually when creating news scenes, the name of the new scene disappear when switching to another hub and coming back, even after multiple Save or Save As.
    3) There is no tool to propagate a same Scene name to all the connected hubs or rename all scenes on the same slot with same name.
    A Global hubs view as suggested in 1) would facilitate this.
    4) I encountered pedal configs which crash the scene view and the Neuro Desktop, security check against bad config should be enforced (I gave some days ago such a 'carsh config' in another thread here).
    5) Soleman does not see the various hubs but works as if a global hub was connected, this is not so bad and even good but there are problems with the function 'take scene name from hub' particularly when for some reasons (error in changing name on one hub as no copy func exists, or keeping intentionally different names but this last I don't see why).
    A function to change all the scene names for connected hubs to the value input in Soleman would also be nice.

The idea of managing all the connected hubs as a global virtual hub seems very useful to work on the whole SA pedal board part and I would be interested in a feedback from SA.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  13. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

What you are describing is a $100,000 investment to upgrade the Hub software experience for those who have 2 Hubs. Most of you think our pedals should be priced the same as other competitors, and the software free. It is free to you, but not to us. I don't want another Reflex experience where we invest huge resources and only sell a few.
    If, our dreams come true and we sell lots of pedals and Hubs, then we can easily do what you want. It's not that we can't see how to make using. 2 Hubs and Soleman more sleek.

14. Brian Williams

Brian Williams Member

I think all of us appreciate the value of SA products not only for the sound quality but the versatility of using with the software. It puts SA far above a lot of the competition. But you know musicians--always looking for a better,faster,easier way to get to "that" sound in our heads. Thats why I'm looking to add the C4( my 6th SA product). However, if you're going to invest a $100,000 I'd rather see some it go to C4 upgrades in the future. Things like more selectable waveform types,hard sync,filter tracking,etc. Looks pretty awesome as is today though. I have to say , I'm a little surprised there's no more fanfare hitting the internet since the GoLive day is three days away.(???)

cyonkers likes this.
  15. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

We want the videos to hit the same day that you can buy one.

LSMFT6, slimefuzz, Ratterbass and 2 others like this.
  16. Ratterbass

Ratterbass Member

Have there already been shipments to Europe? I had contact with two retailers in Germany and neither know anything about a shipment date for C4 :eek:

Not that I'm impatient or anything:oops::oops:

17. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

UK shipped yesterday. Germany soon. Finland soon. France shipped.

XISTH, Ratterbass and Woodyratm like this.
  18. Christian Surieux

Christian Surieux Member

Dear Roger, my intention was not to hurt your company or directly you.
    I have invested around 2500 euros in SA hardware, not counting the PC or Mobile that are shared between my other usages, and the next C4 buy (which could push to add a 3rd hub), that’s clearly not 100 k$.
    But where come from this 100 k$ value ?
    Because the concept I explained does not need so much change.
    My intention is absolutely not create any conflict but just a proposal to improve User Interface in Neuro Desktop with a new view for an easier scenes management, certainly nothing that would lead to any firmware change in hub, One Series pedals or Soleman (which already works as I am explaining).
    You perfectly know your products and this 100K evaluation must be based on something I am missing because I have been working on software since Zilog 80 and Motorola 6502 in 70s, working on various languages (asm, Cobol, Fortran, C, C++, Actor, Delphi, SQL, java, c#, javascript, html, css, etc. but this listing become boring with its perpetually changing world) and accompanying the huge progress made in software conception with better languages, frameworks and now the Network + Cloud ( paradigms that I learned from Amazon since they invented it and Microsoft since they decided to move all their skills this way, add Telecom experience in european networks for french, german and US companies).

Sorry but I do not understand how a new layer of user interface could generate a 100k project.
    My suggestion is a basic conceptual change in data organization making scene not depending on hub but hubs depending on scenes. Simply.
    I am sure that implementing it won’t generate more than one month x man work to adapt the actual code this way an everybody would benefit from it.
    You could keep the existing hub views.
    But add a global scene view.

I just pushed this idea to support your effort to stay leader on the market segment you choose regarding the huge skills of your small team (Bob, Jesse, Nathan and you, sorry if I forget someone and thanks to every one), certainly not the same as the last BOSS SY-1 or EHX.
    Your products are more powerful but they show their full power when we start the Neuro Desktop App, for sure you will sell C4 and One Series for people just wanting to use the buttons on their surface (no disrespect in my words, I understand the concept and the various choices to make music, it’s not actually mine may be an error, future will tell) but in this area the concurrence is high (Boss, EHX and even smaller companies as SA) and gaining new users is not easy AND EXPENSIVE.
    I have already said that I am ready to pay for a 'Neuro Desktop Pro', with extended management features more powerful than those on a classical and free Neuro Desktop.
    Please don’t misbehave, every time and everywhere I can, I support your products in my language area of influence.
    I really appreciate all the communication energy you put in this forum (and others I don’t follow), as said privately before I have been working on CRM concepts (being an adept of Paul Greensberg ‘s 'CRM at the speed of light', where he explained in 2007 that successful companies will design their new products exchanging concepts with their customers). And I know the effort you need to deploy. It makes a real positive difference with your concurrents.
    I could create some pictures to explain my concept for managing the Scenes (through not only 2 but certainly 3 hubs for me after C4) in a global View, just a new kind of View without the physical separation of physical devices, containing all the effects connected to all hubs, without boring with hub management as it will be done in the background as can do the computer magic. It will be self-explanatory.
    Last point, this concept will allow transparent migration from actual hub to a next generation later.

anxiousmofo likes this.
  19. Woodyratm

Woodyratm Member

Just pre ordered. Decided to treat myself to a hub too.

20. Christian Surieux

Christian Surieux Member

Which company in France ? Star-Music ???