Source Audio C4 Modular Synth Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rsmith601, Feb 16, 2018.

1. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

It is more complicated than it looks. I will respond in a bit. Warwick is visiting me today!

anxiousmofo likes this.
  2. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

Our distributor.

3. Brian Williams

Brian Williams Member

Lucky ! No way to pre-order in the states(where the the company is!)

4. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

This is what makes it so complicated:
    1. We use a cross platform tool to create simultaneous windows and Mac compilations. It saves time in the end, but it has lots of limitations.
    2. The Hub was originally conceived to add MIDI to the SB2 pedals. The framework has been creatively extended so far beyond what was intended originally.
    3. The Neuro desktop has to interact with 3 complex external elements, all with their own software/firmware challenges. The Neuro database lives in the cloud, and we both write and read in a manner that cannot corrupt the integrity of your data. The Hub, of course. And then the pedal, which we must talk to through the Hub. Any time we make changes on one thing, it ripples through the entire system and requires changes in everything else. Sometimes this includes the apps too! Plus each pedal in our collection needs new firmware!!

Adding the Neuro database to the desktopofs a huge investment for us, but most of you wondered why it took so long!

Hope this helps to explain.

4b454e, LSMFT6 and anxiousmofo like this.
  5. DR5Guy

DR5Guy Member

Have you thought about open sourcing at least some parts of the desktop? This way you will be able to save a lot of $$$ by getting free code contributions/bug fixes/testing from volunteers. There are many people with Qt experience (provided this is the cross-platform tool you use) in the OS community.

Christian Surieux likes this.
  6. Christian Surieux

Christian Surieux Member

I understand all these constraints, but again what I propose is simply an UI adaptation, nothing to change to your existing XFace libraries and calls to address hubs and pedals.
    Simply a correction in the UML metadata schema: make scene an overall concept, detached from hubs, hub will depend on scene not the inverse.
    No many changes but huge impact on the ease of use when multi hubs, and independence from hardware.

7. Christian Surieux

Christian Surieux Member

This could only be a long term move, and it would be difficult to benefit from the first feedback before one or more years, certainly a win move but difficult to support related to all the documentation to deliver and necessary clean up it implies.
    I first thought to this solution but regarding the size of SA, difficult for them to assume without some support or join-venture with an University or some similar org.

8. MartyReasoner

MartyReasoner Member

I dunno, I am just over the moon with the hub software these days. It's working great for me.

4b454e and Gibs210 like this.
  9. MartyReasoner

MartyReasoner Member

I'll also add that I've owned one series pedals for 3 years and if three years ago you told me that the platform would improve to the extent it has I would have been amazed.

4b454e and anxiousmofo like this.
  10. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

11. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

Jesse wrote the original Sigma Studio program, that is used by every high end effect pedal company and most pro audio companies. It is an epic piece of software work. He has assembled a great team of WXWidgets, iOS, Android, Windows, PIC, Python, and OSX developers. The amount of money and time we have invested in software per pedal sold is the greatest in the history of the effects pedal industry. We do not lack brilliance or even common sense. We lack hours in the day. I have been leading complex hardware and software development teams for 30 years at Source Audio and Analog Devices. We will continue to make things better and better based on the input I collect here. :)

4b454e, binkydognose, mykkus and 5 others like this.
  12. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

Oh, and we will discuss at lunch next week. :)

4b454e, LionVerse and anxiousmofo like this.
  13. ElliotG

ElliotG Member

@rsmith601 I suggest you seek out and consult with someone that has maintained a successful open source project prior to jumping in.
    A successful OSS project requires a significant amount of work to build a community, and support a community. I love the idea, but for a small company the resources spent to create a successful open source program need to be comprehended.

14. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

Agreed. There are no magic solutions in real world technology. At least, not in my experience!

15. Brian Williams

Brian Williams Member

Ooooh,so shiny! Now thats more like it. Much nicer than the purple. Of course whats underneath matters most.;). Hope my dealer will be ready.Still no pre-order on-site. :(

16. Not Orange

Not Orange Supporting Member

Oh wow, sooo beautiful! :drool

17. Christian Surieux

Christian Surieux Member

I agree, and depending the way it is done it could be a loos of control on part of the project.
    I am not convinced that this new open source project could involve a very large community, and here a large base of contributors is the only factor for independence of moves.
    I never worked on open source projects initiated by small companies, they must exist ???
    And I see the difficulties of a large company as Microsoft to align its moves to the proclaimed target of being partly open source...
    Neuro Desktop is far from being a community project and changing this would be some herculean task, out of scope for SA.
    We could only propose ideas to SA and may be they will discuss them at lunch ;)

HipUncle likes this.
  18. AROOO

AROOO Member

Will I be able to control the C4 with the sensor out connection of the Reflex pedal (control parameters/MIDI clock)?

19. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

No MIDI. Expression control of parameters only.

20. Brian Williams

Brian Williams Member

Oh Yeah! Pre-order all set for Tuesday! Interesting discussions about multiple hubs. It makes me curious what kind of projects/gigs people are doing that the need more than 128 presets. Of course I have more than that across all pedals but typically may use only 10-12 at a typical gig,so I load what I need to cover the set list. There's the app as backup if need something I dont have loaded. So far the soleman and one hub seems like plenty. Not critical of multiple hubs,just wondering....