Source Audio C4 Modular Synth Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rsmith601, Feb 16, 2018.

1. LionVerse

LionVerse Supporting Member

What I'd like to see is a LED for each port of the Hub, press the LED to turn it off and when you hit the save button that port will not be included in the scene.

I don't think the SA guys are looking at it this way. When I was testing the Desktop with Hub beta I had to ask Jesse for the ability to make scenes that didn't include all the pedal and he didn't understand why I would want that. I have lots of scenes that don't include all the pedals - some have just one of the small pedals as a way to save presets that I can pull up from panel mode others may change multiple pedals but exclude Nemesis so that you don't break the delay line while making mid-song changes. There's lots of reasons not to want all the pedals in a scene and it would be handy to be able to make those types of scenes on the fly without a computer.

Christian Surieux likes this.
  2. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

Thank you. I'd buy a whole tutorial/tips video from Bob in a heartbeat.

3. Christian Surieux

Christian Surieux Member

I see. To do this, but I have a Soleman, I use macro for each scene and various midi channels, the scene is recalled by a global PC then PC (for my amp) and CC are added to change 'special pedals' to something else than what is stored in the scene. But I see your approach is quite the same.
    For me I am far to exhaust the 128 scene values and I have so many pedals that scenes are the only way to not get crazy in CC.
    And doing this stops any possibility to share scenes, which may not be the intention of everybody, not blaming.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  4. Christian Surieux

Christian Surieux Member

For sure Boss won't do a video as this one, thanks to Bob.

rsmith601 likes this.
  5. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

This video really shows how he wanted to give you all the sound creation tools that he has, but in a small pedal. The Neuro ecosystem just happened to be at the right place at the right time to make it all come together.

6. Adamixoye

Adamixoye Member

I agree that this is what I would like to see in V2 Hub, but I figured my way of going about it is a MUCH smaller ask that hopefully is feasible within the Hub's current memory/DSP limits. Then you can test whether it makes sense to build it into the hardware of a future product.

Hub scenes are great if you think of the entirety of your SA pedals as one multi-FX unit. Calling up scenes means calling up specific sounds, and then you can click pedals on and off if you wish. I don't deny that has a perfectly reasonable logic to it. And my example above is an exaggeration; it's unlikely that anyone will take 5 sounds each from 3 pedals and try to store all 125 possible combinations. But even on a much smaller scale, if I have 4 dirt sounds from the Aftershock and 5 delay sounds from the Nemesis that I like, and I might conceivably use any combination of them, isn't it a hassle to program them as 20 scenes? It makes much more sense to me if I can just recall the dirt and the delay independently.

As for sharing presets and scenes, I don't think what you say is true. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if I import an Aftershock + Lunar scene and I only have an Aftershock connected to my Hub, I think recalling that scene still pulls up the Aftershock sounds in my pedal.

LionVerse and Christian Surieux like this.
  7. Christian Surieux

Christian Surieux Member

We should be able to select the pedals to include in a scene from the global pool of pedals connected to the hubs and independently from the hub/position they are connected to.

8. LionVerse

I definitely don't want it globally as I may want the Nemesis in one scene but exclude in the next and included back in the third scene

Gibs210 likes this.
  9. Christian Surieux

Christian Surieux Member

Not sure, I experimented strange situations just after moving one pedal from one of my 2 hubs to the other (one of my hub is for my amp effect loop, the other classic front mode and I moved a flanger out of the FX loop to be before the LA Lady), the scene was trying to send something to a non existing pedal and the new configuration for this pedal set on its new hub was not accepted, I had to reset all my scenes on the 2 hubs. But debuging was not my urgency at that time .
    But it should work as you explain, filling only the present pedals.

10. Adamixoye

Adamixoye Member

Seems like that would be hard to do without the hardware solution that you were suggesting. For a software solution in the current ecosystem, I think a global option is better, but you could, perhaps, have it on a preset-by-preset basis. Of course, then it gets complicated and away from the simple case I was referring to---where I want the 128-preset capable pedals (Nemesis, Ventris, C4) to be disconnected from scenes.

Christian Surieux likes this.
  11. Christian Surieux

Christian Surieux Member

That not exactly the meaning of my globally, it is related to situation with several hubs, scenes should know the hubs connected to the pedals from the sensing of connections.
    Let's say we have 3 hubs and 12 pedals, the globally would be 12 pedals, and I agree in this pool of 12 pedals, we should not be obliged to include all of them in each scene.

12. Adamixoye

Adamixoye Member

To be fair, I think your multiple-Hub use case is fairly rare.

Gibs210 and LionVerse like this.
  13. Christian Surieux

Christian Surieux Member

Well if SA continues to produce new One series, it will not be so strange.
    But I agree I built my board from the gemini, lunar and mercury, I was searching a special sound implying some % of their effects, then I added the LA Lady, then nemesis and when I added Ventris I had to add another hub, and I will receive the C4. Some slots are still free but I am thinking of using another distorsion model just for doing routing as SA stopped this little MIDI routers they had been proposing some time, because I also have a Digitech, a TC leectronic and an EHX to include or not in some scenes.
    yes people usually take only one pedal for phaser/Flanger/Chorus ;)
    I forget to say that I also got a Vertigo recently, but no TrueSpring, but the Spectrum could replace my TC Electronic Quintescence Harmony...
    Spending more time on some pedals as Ventris and nemesis could eliminate some other SA pedals but it takes such a long time to match.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  14. LionVerse

Oh I see. I don't think there is any way for that to work since your two hubs are completely independent and can't talk to each other. Unless there is some way that SA could get hooking Hub1 Port5 into Hub2 Port1 to allow the two Hubs to work in a master/slave situation where it could work like one Hub with more ports. But I would suspect that even if this were technically possible it wouldn't be worth the investment for SA as there are only a handful of users out there with two or more Hubs.

15. Christian Surieux

Christian Surieux Member

This has not to be dynamic and yes, this imply the use of the Desktop App to sense the connections and fix and redirect the pedals configs to the correct hub.

16. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

What about the idea of expression controlled bypass, or is that impossible to do with analog expression and requires midi?
    You can already do that, it requires the editor, but you can remove pedals from being recognized within a scene.

17. Adamixoye

Adamixoye Member

So (1) create scene (2) use editor to delete pedal (3) scene functions independent of the pedal? That accomplishes what I'm asking for but via a much more inconvenient process.

18. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

My understanding from @theluckyjackson is that it is best to keep all of your SA pedals present in each scene, and just keep those unused in an off state within the scene. That way, pedals aren't accidentally left on when switching between scenes.

19. Adamixoye

Adamixoye Member

And that's one of the problems that leads me to my request...when thinking about scenes, I have to think about what all pedals are doing at all times. While 128 seems like a lot of scenes, when everything is connected the combinations/permutations add up very quickly. If the pedals are independent and controlled independently, you have more flexibility.

20. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

This discussion belongs in a Hub thread.

Not Orange, diego.fresh and jibreel like this.