Source Audio C4 Modular Synth Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rsmith601, Feb 16, 2018.

1. jquanmusic

jquanmusic Member

Ok, quick question (or 3).

The "External Loop (Pre-Processing)" option is what I would use to detect pitch and envelope, run another pedal, and then affect the signal correct?

For some reason I'm not getting the routing for this one. It doesn't seem to work the way i thought it would. Any calcification would be great.

I'm attempting to put the C4 in the loop of a delay pedal. Will this option allow me to place the C4 in the delay's loop or the front of my chain on a per preset basis? This would obviously be ideal.

Thanks!

Christian Surieux likes this.
  2. balsbury

balsbury Member

I am wondering if there is a way to send a cc midi message to scroll up and down presets on C4 and other SA pedals that can store multiple presets. Sorry if this was already covered, I'm just now working with my soleman and sending cc messages as we await hub scene support.

It would be really helpful to be able to scroll through the internal C4 or Ventris presets using Soleman, is there a way to do this I'm missing? Ultimately I'd like to scroll through saved sounds on the pedal and copy and paste into the separate 128 slots on the hub.

Similarly, is there a way to access the stored sounds on device via the mobile app? This would also be an easy way to quickly access the saved presets stored on device without needing a computer.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  3. bassbrad

bassbrad Member

It does not ship with a usb cable. To connect to a PC you will need a usb A to a usb mini B, this is a cable commonly used for video and still cameras and other musical effects. They are pretty easy to find on eBay and Amazon and other sources.

Brockstar likes this.
  4. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher Member

You can use TouchOSC to access presets via mobile. On iOS you just need a camera connection kit. You can use the preset page in this template I created:

balsbury likes this.
  5. Intrglctcrevfnk

Intrglctcrevfnk Supporting Member

Rodger asked the hive mind 20 pages back or so and Jessie was going to add it on the next firmware update. I think it rolled out in 1.11, we are on 1.12 now. It’s in there.

I hinted on it 1 page back and went and actually checked this time. It’s under ‘device midi mapping’ which is in the file/edit/menu bar thingie. It’s not automatically mapped like 104 or 105 was. It’s at the very bottom of the quite long drop down. Incredible how many parameters are available via CC, I t’s all of them I think!

I set 106 to increment and 107 to decrement since it’s in the same logical area as 103/104/105. Can’t answer on the Ventris/Nemesis having CC scroll as I don’t have them. And same with the mobile app, I’ve only used it once. Always noodle with it at home where I have my Mac.

I’ve already set up 4 or 5 panels with C4 presets and short names but it’ll be nice to have a {C4 Todo Del Mundo} panel. Set left 2 as the 4 block jumps then the right 2 and inc/dec. I’ll use latching so I can cram 4 CC actions into 2 buttons with main functions on the front. So I’ll do Synth(1) and Envelope(2) as top level buttons with Arpeggiator(1-2) and Sound Effects(2-2) as secondary release actions; then increment(3) and decrement(4) on the right.

Man this stuff is exciting. I’ll set up the inc/dec on the Soleman today!

balsbury likes this.
  6. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

Nope. You want to use the preset template that Nathan created for this. I did not want to give you all routing options that you all can create yourselves with voices. The pre loop is one you cannot create. I will find it for you if you can't find it.

7. chace90

chace90 Member

Like this:

Edit: fixed link

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    Brockstar likes this.
  8. Brockstar

Brockstar Member

link doesn't work

9. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

Brockstar likes this.
  10. Orion848

Orion848 Member

Some questions about the Spectrum, having less parameters would the presets be able to fit on the hub?, and if not can you use the CC method for presets (also does the Mercury have this as well).
    Finally as new ideas come about and I assume the Spectrum has more space for additional code could the Spectrum in the future have different features than the C4?
    Thanks

11. jibreel

jibreel Member

From a recent email exchange

Yes, the Monophonic Pitch options (OC-2 like octave sound) will be available in the Spectrum as well as all of the filter sounds… also the distortions and some LFO capabilities.

Best regards,

Nathan

12. balsbury

balsbury Member

I have had great success using CC midi messages to navigate C4 internal presets using the soleman and panel mode. I can scroll through my presets and do a bypass CC and PC as a macro to quickly bypass all pedals. I can totally get by with this in live settings and at practice if I don't have a computer handy. Also, the community presets are getting really good!

I know this is a bit off topic but it is tangential to this midi capability. It appears that you can do similar things with the Ventris and Nemesis to access their internal presets. However, there is a limitation to the increment function as you can only scroll through the 4 (or 8 in extend mode) onboard presets. Even if you recall preset 10, the increment up goes back to preset 1.

I don't know how difficult this is but it would be awesome if the Ventris and Nemesis could be updated to work like the C4 in the future. Sorry if it's already been covered. Also, I realize that I could buy a DMC to select internal presets on the Ventris and Nemesis but it would be great to do it all with the Soleman

Also, I have the old school gray hub but would have no problem purchasing a new hub II that had more ports and was fully scene compatible with C4. Just saying:D

13. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

I actually just sent an email yesterday to Jesse and co. I had been thinking of this for a long time, and it more recently hit me that it would be great to have an option in panel mode for PC scrolling, so that the soleman could work like how the dmc controllers work where each midi channel has a scrolling option. Basically my idea is split to 2 options, pc scroll up and pc scroll down. Possibly a third for search mode, where a you can view all the PC numbers without loading the preset. While this might not work directly with the current pedals using CC messages to recall presets when connected to hub in the nemtris’ case, and the c4 just not being compatible with PC messaging. It could possibly be worked in on the soleman easier than going back and making firmware revisions to all the other pedals. Still hoping that down the road though, we can at least have midi CCs available for recalling the 6 presets on the older small boxes, as well as option to choose between full presets and full WYSIWYG like on C4.

Christian Surieux and balsbury like this.
  14. bassheart365

bassheart365 Member

Well, my C4 has unseated my Future Impact on my board. Didn't see that coming. That might change when FI publishes the 3.0 update. The main reason it that C4 tracks much better than the FI.

15. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher Member

Have you updated your FI to the latest firmware? The latest release includes a tracking algorithm update.

16. Steven

Steven Member

Can someone explain to a five year old (like me) how to control program change on the C4 from a MusicomEfx switcher? I understand that I somehow need to get the MIDI signal from the switcher into the C4 but how? The C4 dont have that nice big 5 pin MIDI input jack we all know and love.

Edit:

Oh I just found the Disaster Area Midi Baby!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  17. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

The Source Audio Hub is another option, but you are limited to using MIDI CC to change preset on the C4.

Steven likes this.
  18. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher Member

I remember a while back there was a discussion about the filters’ maximum cutoff frequency being 6kHz. I seem to recall that @rsmith601 asked the poster why one would need a higher cutoff, given that guitar signals don’t tend to be above that range. Now that we’ve got access to oscillators whose frequencies do stray into the 6-20kHz territory, might it not be time to reassess the situation? I’ve noticed that subtle tone-shaping of the oscillators is not possible (where one might wish to just shave off some of the very high frequencies but leave lots intact). There is a very audible difference between no filter and the fully open filter, even on 2-pole.

I realise that rescaling the 254 steps to accommodate a higher cutoff might cause some headaches though.

The Holy Drinker and slimefuzz like this.
  19. slimefuzz

slimefuzz Member

It could just be one or 2 new filter types, so it could be an option...

20. Patrik Nilsson

Patrik Nilsson Member

Had some fun playing around with the sequencers. A wish-list:
    1. Silent/empty steps.
    2. Setting volume of steps. Which would cover 1 if volume could be 0.
    3. Ability to name your custom sequences.
    4. Saving custom sequences so they become globally available to other presets like the factory ones. As I understand it they are currently only local to a preset.

bassbrad, nnavarro, Peetlett and 5 others like this.