Source Audio C4 Modular Synth Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rsmith601, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher Member

Very good ideas.

bassbrad likes this.
  2. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

Good points. We are investigating.

Quatschmacher likes this.
  3. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

Got it. Added to the wish list!

4. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

We just did lots of work to upgrade the "Preset Feed" Web page. This is sometimes a fast and easy way to search on keywords, users, and other such things. There are not over 250 C4 presets, and this tool can be helpful. It also allows those who do not own the pedal to see what is going on in Neuro Land. Have fun!
    https://neuro.sourceaudio.net/

5. Ratterbass

Ratterbass Member

So I've been playing around with this pretty much for three days(and nights, lol) straight. In most parts it really lives up to the hype. The tracking is INSANE. Very good job, you guys! And while I got some seriously good sounds there some things, most of which don't really adress the device itself but the workflow in the editor that I noticed.

I realize it takes a lot of effort to keep all the software up to date etc so I'll just share my "wishlist" with you:

1. The range of the filters. As already adressed above, it would be really nice if the range was extended. But not only upwards but also down. I noticed that without setting the pitch tracking lower in the filter block I couldn't get rid of the harmonics of the signal. This means that it is not possible to do a clean sweep from jungle like subbass to screaming filter resonance. Having experience with pedals like the Xerograph deluxe or Moog MF101 I miss this.

2. It would be nice if we could right-click blocks in the editor to copy/paste them to other presets or assign controllers.

3. On the mobile editor it is possible to edit the controllers even when they are turned off. This is really handy, because sometimes there are parameters mapped to an expression pedal that you don't want to be changed. In the Neuro App you can just edit the individual controllers without enableing them. On the desktop editor you can't, meaning that all parameters will be set to the current value of your expression input once you turn on the expression block. Being able to edit these without having the block turned on would be nice.

4. A "cheat-sheet" for filter and envelope curves visualizations would be really really nice to have.

5. Is it possible to seperate the two drive sections from each other or is it too much on the DSP to process two individual drive engines?

6. Similar to 5 but regarding the LFOs. It would be cool to be able to have two independent LFOs or at least two different wave forms.

7. It would be REALLY cool to be able to assign envelopes and LFOs to ANY parameter. LFO to FM depth for example would be huge. Or envelope to distortion mix etc. The right-click menue would be helpful in this. Right-click on parameter->assign LFO1 for example

8. Is there a reason FM only works for sine waves? It would be cool to route any wave to the FM. Slow LFOs or square waves etc.

9. Having alt functions for control 1 and 2 would also be huge.

Now I've written more than I wanted to... Sorry:eek:

Also note that this is just stuff that caught my attention, coming from other devices with editors or just other gear in general.

While this might seem a bit too negative, I wanted to say thank you for putting out such an incredible piece of equipment. This is the first "all in one" synth pedal that impressed me this much!:D Definetely a keeper, even if you stopped development for updates(please don't:oops:)

6. Intrglctcrevfnk

Intrglctcrevfnk Supporting Member

Not Orange, J.Jones, bassbrad and 2 others like this.
  7. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher Member

The fact that LFO and envelope are tied together as a global parameter has occasionally been frustrating (I would love to have had one channel as an envelope routed to filter while having an LFO-controlled Phaser on the other channel.

Good point about making adjustments when sections are switched off.

Also a good point about the lower range of the filter. When you use an oscillator without an envelope, closing the filter fully (even when fully tracking the pitch) doesn’t close far enough to cut off the lowest frequencies. Would be great if it went down to 20Hz.

A mod matrix would be cool but I guess beyond the scope of the DSP (apparently it’s pretty full). (As an aside, the forthcoming V3 firmware of the Future Impact will add that very feature, among others.)

8. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

Thanks for the nice comments!!
    See my notes embedded below:
    1. The range of the filters. As already adressed above, it would be really nice if the range was extended. But not only upwards but also down. I noticed that without setting the pitch tracking lower in the filter block I couldn't get rid of the harmonics of the signal. This means that it is not possible to do a clean sweep from jungle like subbass to screaming filter resonance. Having experience with pedals like the Xerograph deluxe or Moog MF101 I miss this.
    >>This is on the wish list! Hoping we can do this.

2. It would be nice if we could right-click blocks in the editor to copy/paste them to other presets or assign controllers.
    >>Stuff like that is hard with the cross platform tools that are out there. We want to get Mac and Windows tools published at the same time, and that does put some limits on what we can do.

3. On the mobile editor it is possible to edit the controllers even when they are turned off. This is really handy, because sometimes there are parameters mapped to an expression pedal that you don't want to be changed. In the Neuro App you can just edit the individual controllers without enableing them. On the desktop editor you can't, meaning that all parameters will be set to the current value of your expression input once you turn on the expression block. Being able to edit these without having the block turned on would be nice.
    >>Nice suggestion

4. A "cheat-sheet" for filter and envelope curves visualizations would be really really nice to have.
    >>I really want Bob to create this write-up too. We need this for the Spectrum manual.

5. Is it possible to separate the two drive sections from each other or is it too much on the DSP to process two individual drive engines?
    >>No, cant do this. It is kind of crazy....at the beginning of the project it seemed overkill to have separate distortions! You can blame me for this.

6. Similar to 5 but regarding the LFOs. It would be cool to be able to have two independent LFOs or at least two different wave forms.
    >>LFOs take up lots of DSP MIPS to do them right. We can only fit one.

7. It would be REALLY cool to be able to assign envelopes and LFOs to ANY parameter. LFO to FM depth for example would be huge. Or envelope to distortion mix etc. The right-click menue would be helpful in this. Right-click on parameter->assign LFO1 for example
    >> Agree. C4 2.0, I am afraid.
    8. Is there a reason FM only works for sine waves? It would be cool to route any wave to the FM. Slow LFOs or square waves etc.
    >>Good question for Bob, don't know.

9. Having alt functions for control 1 and 2 would also be huge.
    >> Jesse has like one last block of microcontroller code, and I am pushing for it to do this!!! Keep your fingers crossed. :)

9. Flip362

Flip362 Member

Was there a possibility to have lfo 2 be slower than lfo 1 instead of just same or faster yet still be tempo sync’d?

10. ElliotG

ElliotG Member

The preset feed is great. Features request: It would be nice to be able to search for presets that have previews. That is attached media content (sound cloud, youtube...).

11. Eldritch Tentacles

Eldritch Tentacles Member

With the talk of increasing the higher frequency filter cutoffs, I’m wondering if it would be possible to extend the upper frequencies of the pitch tracking a bit too. I know the C4 is targeted primarily towards guitar and bass but our band has a 5 string electric violinist and we were trying it through the C4 the other night. She LOVED the C4 and will probably get one soon. The tracking was stellar even on the bowed, fretless violin (even the micro step stuff) but, of course her range goes past the 24th fret E of the guitar. We were both surprised that it didn’t completely fall apart (tracking) until after the G (step-and-a-half) above the E. I realize it’s a limited market but I figured it could be worth mentioning.

Christian Surieux and jquanmusic like this.
  12. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

Agreed!

13. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

When Robert Randolph played lap steel through the C4 at NAMM, I knew we had something interesting! To be honest, not too excited about breaking something that is working really well at the moment.....

bassbrad likes this.
  14. slimefuzz

slimefuzz Member

The future model can be C24, 4 voices per string...

dreaming :}

Christian Surieux and bassbrad like this.
  15. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher Member

@rsmith601 on the app it is possible to make edits to the text information in one’s published patches and save those changes. It doesn’t however seem to be possible to make edits to the parameters in those patches and have those changes be saved. Will this be possible in a future update? I have a few patches where the knob assignments do nothing as I programmed them before I realised that parameters mapped to expression prevent their functioning when assigned to knobs and I’d like to update those patches with new knob assignments without having to delete them and their associated download and like data completely.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  16. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher Member

@rsmith601 could I please make the following suggestion?

Could beat subdivision be added as a parameter controllable via expression and control knob? This would mean that one could speed up the LFO expressively but it could remain tempo-synced. It’s an effect I’ve often heard used. Thanks.

PS, any chance of adding quarter note triplets as a beat subdivision?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    Gibs210 likes this.
  17. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

This is going into the next update. Great suggestion. Thanks!

ElliotG likes this.
  18. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

this is tricky. In general, we don't like having published presets changed. If it is REALLY important, we can do it. Send us a note.

19. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

Added to the feature request list!

Quatschmacher likes this.
  20. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

I wouldn’t mind that on the nemesis and ventris as well, you can do this with the small box pedals when they are receiving midiclock and just map an expression pedal to the speed knob and get the same results, but it’s be nice for the nemtris just have access to the extended subdivisions without having to load the editor.