Source Audio C4 Modular Synth Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rsmith601, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Christian Surieux

Christian Surieux Member

Just create a new one and mark the old as hidden, or delete.
    EDIT Sorry, I just see that @gibs5000 has already answered as this, it could be automated but need some authentication...

2. Ratterbass

Ratterbass Member

If you're using midi to toggle the expression block you could just as well use midi to change to a patch that doesn't utilize external expression.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    Gibs210 likes this.
  3. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher Member

True, but that would use two preset spaces, whereas my idea allows more mileage out of a single preset. And my second idea would accomplish this without MIDI - it would just use the Source Audio external tap tempo switch.

4. Christian Surieux

Christian Surieux Member

I finally received it with a nice German fast documentation, here are my first impressions.
    The beast is impressive and so small, then I spent 2 hours just like a child (old) trying the cloud presets from the Desktop App.
    What a huge work from the SA team and ... the first community testers who offered their findings.

Then I started turning and clicking on some parameters, just to evaluate the possibilities. No way to master it in one hour, one month seems to be a better evaluation.
    Thanks to the 12 preset pages but it would be appreciated to have more sort keys just as on the web site version. I don't play bass and it was such a long time to sort between bass and non bass presets. (some bass presets seem ok for guitar with some tweaking)
    There are also a great number of test presets, without great interest, and being able to sort on the number of likes could help. May be it exists but I did not find.
    May be there should be some garbage collector removing elder ones with no likes.
    Number of the other SA pedals presets in the community cloud contain items with poor interest (modulations).

Back on the C4, I am not sure it could replace my Quintessence harmony, still open question.
    The tracking is very good.
    The command board in the desktop console is massive with all its details: a word of buttons you push and/or turn, items you select, just as some daw 15 years ago.
    I discovered what has been already said here concerning linked parameters without possibility to dissociate them. It lead me to think that a Nemesis/Ventris format could have its place in this area, it is dommage to have restricted all this creativity, but the choice of a smaller size/pricing has been preferred reducing the risk. It makes some sense.

The presets are certainly a good way to learn, there should be a summary but also an extended explanation displayed when clicking on a small button, a place where the connections and settings would be detailed.
    Some of them are so funny, but may be just funny ? This is one of the drawbacks of a synthesizer: so easy to create a small funny piece.
    If you are not here to take a preset from the cloud and directly use it, the creation of something adapted to your usual sound will take a long time.
    On the next days I will try to create something in my own style.
    C4 is certainly a very good investment, for sure I will have no time to explore a FI, Boss or other synth competitor ;)

jibreel likes this.
  5. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

You need to use the "sort" button on the Desktop Editor. Bottom right side. You can sort by likes. You can also filter by pedal. All that stuff is in there.

Christian Surieux likes this.
  6. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher Member

@rsmith601 I know I keep bugging you so I apologise. Was wondering if a global octave transpose might be useful (assignable to external control and (maybe) knobs). This would allow quick octave switching as on keyboards. Particularly useful as some sounds can function great both as bass and lead sounds depending on which octave they are in. Ability to shift on the fly might be useful. Just a random thought.

7. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher Member

@rsmith601 maybe a global LFO to all oscillator pitches for adding vibrato via external control would be good. Currently there’s no way to introduce vibrato to a 4-oscillator patch. Maximum possible is three by using all three slots of the external controller section routed to individual oscillators.

8. The Holy Drinker

The Holy Drinker Member

Im not sure how you get vibrato with the external controllers but if you use Detune and click on modulate, you can have vibrato on any voice.

9. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

There’s one wee little problem here, how are you going to connect an expression pedal if the tap switch is already connected ;) this would probably be better as a CC assignable midi option though.
    He’s probably just happy it’s not me bugging him for a change. :D

10. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher Member

Couldn’t one use the tap switch via the hub’s TRRS input and expression via the 1/4” jack? Or are they mutually exclusive?

11. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher Member

You turn on “modulate” for the 1-3 oscillators you want to add vibrato to. Then assign expression to the detune knob (once for each oscillator), set the lower limit at 50% and the upper limit somewhere between 51 and 100%. Now when you move the expression pedal, it controls the detune amount for each oscillator. Voila! Pedal-controlled vibrato for up to three oscillators.

My point is that this is not possible to do with 4 oscillators which means it can’t be applied to 4-note pads or to 4-oscillator mono sounds. It also uses up all the mod slots.

Better would be to have a global vibrato for all oscillators (or the ability to specify which oscillators are controlled by a global vibrato (perhaps via checkboxes for which ones were to be included)). Then expression could be assigned to global vibrato depth, which would leave two mod slots free for other stuff.

Vibrato is such a common device that a global option would be very desirable.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    slimefuzz likes this.
  12. gutterne

gutterne Member

YES!

Not Orange and Christian Surieux like this.
  13. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

Nope, once connected to the hub for midi, the tap switch options only work for remote midi control. In the case of the dirt pedals and true spring at least, you can set what they control in the editor, but then need to assign a CC so your midi controller can handle those duties. Hub and tap switch are not compatible, other than using the tap switch as an on/off expression switch.

14. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

15. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher Member

@rsmith601 would it be possible for the PC editor to have a Hz readout for the LFO when not synced to MIDI clock? i.e. when just turning the knob (this would be in addition to the 0-254 dial markings). I was trying to replicate LFO 1’s exact speed on LFO 2 (whilst LFO 2 was set to be twice as fast as LFO 1) so I could get a faster maximum speed and I had to match it by ear. A readout would’ve sped up this process no end.

16. Christian Surieux

Christian Surieux Member

Found. What a nice feature ;) I spent weeks on the other pedals scrolling and scrolling.

rsmith601 likes this.
  17. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

Its on the request list.

Quatschmacher likes this.
  18. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher Member

Thank you.

19. jquanmusic

jquanmusic Member

That silk screened purple C4 it's hawt!

20. skeeler

skeeler Member

Nice setup. What's the little white pedal with two buttons?

binkydognose likes this.