Source Audio C4 Modular Synth Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rsmith601, Feb 16, 2018.

1. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

I think Jesse said there was envelope use in the voices.

2. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher Member

I have reconstructed 1 of the ones I sent on the offline Spectrum editor. I have also reconstructed another that @jibreel thought he’d converted but it seems something went awry. I can’t see anything in the other two that shouldn’t work so I’ll reconstruct those too.

I’ll PM you with screenshots and the values written in for ease of programming.

jibreel likes this.
  3. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

Awesome! Thanks.

jibreel and Quatschmacher like this.
  4. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher Member

I’ve only sent two for now. I’ll do the other two later in the week as I’ve got a few things I need to do today.

5. bassbrad

bassbrad Member

Thank you I guess or, or was this some sort of Monday engineer's rant or am I supposed to apologize for asking? Go away kiddo, because I said so dammit! ;-) I do honestly understand and appreciate what an engineering challenge and accomplishment it is to have created such an AH-F-ing-Mazing a pedal as the C4 and thank the heavens every day for Bill Chidlaw and the SA crew for this tool I waited 40 years for. I don't really feel any better informed about what the Envelope types do or don't do and I want to Grok this incredible beast.

6. Funksandwich

Funksandwich Member

Is there a way to set the presets so they are unaffected by the physical knobs? I use a DMC to shuffle through and it would be great to not have to adjust the controls

7. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

I believe this is called "preset mode" and it can be configured in the app and editor hardware settings. You might want to see the manual about this. I forget!!

8. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

The formatting is a mess and makes that one section really hard to read. I am working on this.

9. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher Member

I’ve finally got a soundcloud account and have recorded and uploaded clips for many of my patches.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  10. bassbrad

bassbrad Member

I was hoping to have some shapes or explanation as to the 12 different Envelope options we have roughly like this https://theproaudiofiles.com/synthesis-101-envelope-parameters-uses/
    because what is there without a baseline or context isn't helpful. I don't know about others but for these things visuals are most helpful.

11. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher Member

@rsmith601 there seems to be a bug in the iOS app. Every time I try to preview a patch via a soundcloud clip with headphones plugged in, the next patch that loads has the sound coming out of the speak instead and I have to unplug and put in the headphones again to switch back.

Also, the search function in the “library” tab doesn’t seem to be working. Are your servers overloaded?

12. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

The search function on my Android works perfectly. Anyone else having trouble searching with your library on iOS?

Audio preview works fine for me on Android and Windows.

Making sure that preset preview works across all platforms and devices perfectly on YouTube and SoundCloud is beyond the scope of our offering. These are sound development tools for an audience or a few thousand skilled users and not a million person audience consumer audio listening tool.

If there is some kind of serious issue impacting multiple platforms, we need to know.

13. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

@bassbrad New formatting makes this much more useful!!!

14. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher Member

It seems that TGP has the same embedding problem that TB has so here’s a link to the basschat page where I’ve successfully uploaded the whole playlist of patches, I’ll add to it as I write more and record clips:
    https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/335905-source-audio-c4-synth-pedal/?do=findComment&comment=3823790

For anyone downloading my patches, I’d strongly recommend getting an expression pedal as most have some kind of morphing assigned to expression (external, via the hub). If you have a Source Audio expression pedal then you’ll need edit the patches to select that in the external control section.

I’m thinking about getting a Hot Hand too so there may be more craziness to come. Watch this space.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    rsmith601 and Christian Surieux like this.
  15. Auger64

Auger64 Member

While having the C4 plugged into the hub, I am seeing intermittent rapid blinking of the ALT function LED. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for this and it doesn't seem to affect the sound of the pedal. The main LED also went to a red AND green solid mode at one point. This DID require me to unplug and plug the unit back in. Anyone else have this issue?

I am using the supplied power supply.

deepsouthshore likes this.
  16. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

That sounds like the calibration mode. It is covered in the manual. This is to ensure your input level is at the ideal setting for the envelope and such.

17. Auger64

Auger64 Member

I don't think that's it, Roger. It's only happening if I have a Hub cable in...and I'm not touching the controls on the pedal. Besides, I thought that was the MAIN LED not the ALT function LED.

18. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

You are right. I just checked. The manual:
    o INPUT CALIBRATION FUNCTION: We have provided a unique Input Calibration Function to assure that you are getting the best possible interaction between your instrument and the C4. The Calibration process is as follows: 1. Turn the INPUT knob all the way down. 2. Continuously pluck your instrument at your average plucking velocity. 3. Slowly turn up the INPUT knob up until the center LED starts flashing red. This flashing indicates that you have reached the optimum INPUT level. Leave the knob where it is – the process is complete

I will investigate.

19. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

What’s the MIDI source? IS there an expression pedal connected somewhere?

Might be some stray CCs sneaking through.

20. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

Make sure you have the external switch option disabled in the editor, it will mess with the pedal when it’s actually connected to the hub.

dickjonesify likes this.