Source Audio C4 Modular Synth Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rsmith601, Feb 16, 2018.

1. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

From Jesse:
    Is it receiving MIDI CC messages otherwise? Like it’s behaving as expected?

He should check firmware. I did make a fix to the MIDI channel issue that we were having where it was only responding to MIDI channel 1.

2. Auger64

Auger64 Member

Yes it was receiving MIDI CC messages just fine after I figured out the whole CC thing. Macros worked as well. I'm 99% sure I have the latest firmware for the C4 and the Hub. I was using it on MIDI channel 2.

I'll try it again later, if I get a chance tonight. I appreciate the help.

3. Christian Surieux

Christian Surieux Member

I have observed this on other SA pedals, I will check to name them.

Auger64 likes this.
  4. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

Can you send me a PM and describe how you added the clips? This should not happen.

5. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher Member

Coming up.

6. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher Member

Just added another 4 patches which culminated in this one:

All four tracks appear at the bottom of my playlist.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Embra, LionVerse, rsmith601 and 2 others like this.
  7. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

Hmmmm........ :huh

From what I can tell the only difference is he turned on voice 2 :dunno

This is the first time I’ve seen someone steal one of my uploaded presets lol. Not sure how I should feel about this. :crazyguy

8. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

Ha.

It is your move, it seems. Add yet another voice and post a follow-up?

9. Ratterbass

Ratterbass Member

I have this as well but for me, it's the midi clock of the Helix going to the C4 causing the blinking.

I have another problem though:

several times a day either C4 or Hub completely freeze. Meaning that either midi won't be transmitted anymore and Hub has to be unplugged and plugged back in or C4 won't respond to anything, even the hardware controls(switch or pots) and has to be rebooted as well.

This is pretty frustrating, tbh. The unit is great but with this, it simply can't be used live.

Midi chain is as follow: Helix sends clock and CC to the hub(and only hub!) via midi DIN cable and the C4 sits in port 1 of the hub, no other pedals conntected to hub.

Auger64 likes this.
  10. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher Member

That’s given me a cool idea...how about I post a patch which I will call “Chinese Whisper 1”. The next person downloads the patch and is allowed to alter only 1 parameter and then uploads it with the name “Chinese Whisper 2”. The next person follows the same procedure, incrementing the number by 1. It would be interesting to compare the first and last patch and to follow the path between them. Anyone up for that?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    anxiousmofo and Intrglctcrevfnk like this.
  11. radiophonic

radiophonic Member

This may have been covered, but if so I missed it. Is there any Manta functionality that isn't duplicated on C4? It wouldn't be a deal breaker, but I'd like to know if I can potentially reclaim some board space when it finally lands. I'm mostly interested in straightforward replication of filter types and envelope shapes and hopefully not having to rebuild existing Manta patches from scratch.

12. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher Member

As far as I can tell, it’s all there except for the ability to morph between LFO shapes (I sold my Manta). You will have to rebuild the patches from scratch though as there’s no way to port the settings over.

13. radiophonic

radiophonic Member

OK - I didn't expect to be able to port, but I wasn't clear if I'd have to define a lot of low level parameters to reproduce the envelope shapes and (for example) the peak shape in a peak filter etc., or if they were presets. The Manta manual doesn't give much detail as you know - just things like Peak>Notch>Peak and I anticipated some spadework.

14. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher Member

I suspect that two of the envelope shapes in C4 correspond to the two found in the Manta.

15. Jmanfunk

Jmanfunk Member

Quatschmacher- I just wanted to thank you for all the amazing presets you've put together. Fantastic work and they all sound incredible. I'm absolutely loving the 'Kitchen Sink' patches. Anything that cops a Stevie Wonder vibe is a winner in my books.

And with the 'Bread and Butter' patches, I can finally have a crack at playing George Duke's Funny Funk. It's gonna be a funky weekend.

You've single handedly sold me on this pedal. SA should consider paying you a commission! ;)

And thanks to all the Source Audio team for putting out such an incredible pedal. I'd imagine a lot of blood, sweat and tears went into putting all this together. :)

Thanks again and I look forward to seeing what else you and the C4 community will come up with next.

J.

dickjonesify, jondom22, Embra and 2 others like this.
  16. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

The idea was to create the super-set of filter types. As I told others recently, the C4 was supposed to be a stereo Manta in a One Series housing. Bob Chidlaw dubbed it "Super Manta". The intent was to create the best envelope filter of all time. I think we have arguably achieved that with C4. And then, while I was distracted, he slips all this other stuff in there!! Naughty!!!

jibreel and Quatschmacher like this.
  17. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

Assuming MIDI clock is in the mix? Sending a PM

18. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher Member

Thank you for your kind words.

I love those MPS years George Duke albums.

I’d love to make this my living if I can make it work.

I’m (not-so-secretly) hoping for a revamp of the Mercury/Gemini/Lunar which has assignable knobs, onboard presets, a dual- (or triple-) channel architecture and assignable external controls like in the C4/Spectrum. That would be sweet! Please, @rsmith601 !

bassbrad and Jmanfunk like this.
  19. Auger64

Auger64 Member

Just for the record, I did not have midi clock turned on in the Soleman.

20. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

Thanks. We will get to the bottom of this!

Auger64 likes this.