Source Audio C4 Modular Synth Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rsmith601, Feb 16, 2018.

1. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

Make sure you have the external switch option disabled in the editor, it will mess with the pedal when it’s actually connected to the hub.

2. deepsouthshore

deepsouthshore Member

Thanks Robert, much appreciated! I'm running the SA Dual Expression pedal with the 1/8" out going direct to the C4 and the 1/4" out going to the Hub. Given that the Hub can't save/send scenes yet I thought that this would be the best arrangement. I also bought a DMC 3xl Gen3 to control the Hub and C4 separately. Would you suggestion be to just run from the Expression pedal to the Hub and Hub to the C4? I had the external switch option on given that it was fed directly from the Exp pedal. Thanks for all of your help; it's been a fun process learning this thing and making it jive with the rest of my SA rig!

3. DisasterArea

DisasterArea Owner, Disaster Area Designs and Alexander Pedals

Why not run the expression pedal into the DMC? The C4 will respond to MIDI the same way as it will to the direct connection and you can use the same exp. pedal to control your other MIDI gear (if you have any.)

FbIsNotE and jquanmusic like this.
  4. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

External switch is for the tap switch only, use the other option for hub and expression pedal. Most likely that’s the reason for the erratic behavior of the LED.

If your using the dmc I’d keep the c4 connected as is, the one alternate would be to connect the expression pedal to the dmc black jack and send it midi remote expression to the c4.

Edit: like disaster area said.

5. deepsouthshore

deepsouthshore Member

Thanks guys! I now have the Dual Expression going into the DMC3. The lights on all pedals (Hub, C4, Aftershock, Gemini, Nemesis, and Ventris) are lighting up with signal from the Expression, but assigning controls to the Expression via the Neuro App and/or desktop doesn't do anything. I've tried assigning to all kinds of things but no dice. Any help is very much appreciated.

The C4 is DevA and the Hub is DevB. I've finally figured out how to get scenes to activate and bypass on DevB/Hub, but anytime I activate any scene on DevA/C4 my Ventris and Nemesis come on. Should I change MIDI channels for the C4 vs. the Nemesis/Ventris? They are the only two that come on via the Hub when making changes to the C4; Gemini and Aftershock don't do it.

Tones are to die for, just need to get the MIDI control dialed in. I as pretty good with the Midi Mongoose>Hub>One Series pedals, but the C4 and DMC have added a whole new element. Thanks for all the help y'all!

6. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

I cant help you with the Expression going into the DMC3. Have you tried the expression in on the Hub?

7. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

Assume one would need to be set up CCs in this configuration? Expression into the Hub allows the C4 to map parameters to expression with no CCs. Am I missing something? Thanks :)

Christian Surieux likes this.
  8. deepsouthshore

deepsouthshore Member

Thanks. I've been trying via the Hub, but all pedals have been unresponsive to expression input. I've used all three outputs from the Dual Expression with no luck. Yes, it's TRS. They do all respond to expression data from the DMC, however. Hopefully won't have to MIDI map everything. I appreciate all the help!

9. DisasterArea

DisasterArea Owner, Disaster Area Designs and Alexander Pedals

I was just replying to say "we send MIDI CC to the Hub," but we totally do not.

:facepalm

I'll get with Jesse and make sure that when we do add that feature in, it's implemented in a smart way. We also don't send any tap tempo CC messages, but we do send MIDI clock if that is enabled.

10. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher Member

Have you configured the Hub to send out the right CC via expression? Have you set up the pedals to receive expression via the Hub (as opposed to tap tempo-type information)?

11. PurpleBlackDuck

PurpleBlackDuck Member

Apologies if this has been answered, but can the second output of the C4 be routed to effectively work as a Parallel Out? It works this way when the pedal is bypassed, but obviously not when engaged.

12. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

The routing options are very flexible. Look at the output blocks on the editor.

13. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

There’s also an Android version

bassbrad likes this.
  14. morrissey007

morrissey007 Supporting Member

I looked at the costs of various midi footswitches and the cheapest I could get was £99, so I knocked one up with arduino, wrote the code in a couple of hours and now boxing up in a standard pedal size box. Whole lot with enclosure cost about 25 quid. It all works well on other midi kit so just eagerly awaiting Waiting for delivery of my c4! Happy to share my code with anyone that wants to build one.

15. Intrglctcrevfnk

Intrglctcrevfnk Supporting Member

I was halfway there before I caved and bought the Soleman. Had it on a breadboard with the Arduino nano and the midi library. But it was my first go-round with Arduino (mostly raspberry pi experience and my programming skills are basic) and I decided to just get the Soleman. Breadboard is still sitting on my desk ready to me finished!

I was thinking about building an expansion box for the Soleman, using its midi in to take PC and CC messages to trigger certain things like scenes, macros, panels, etc.

If you’ve got your code on stackoverflow I’d love to take a peek! It’s on the list for a rainy weekend project. The hardware wasn’t the hard part for me it was the software.

16. morrissey007

For me the software was easy, I struggled with getting midi over usb until I switched from arduino to teensy. No idea what stack overflow is but will check it out! Meanwhile happy to send you the code via pm in a couple of weeks time once I've fully tested on c4.

17. doran.dragic

doran.dragic Member

I would love to see those. Number 1 and 3 would be huge for me.

18. jondom22

jondom22 Supporting Member

Finally getting around to this crazy midi board build, and testing out the midi signal chain. Everything working great with the C4 and all my devices, except for Midi Clock. Anyone having success with using MIDI Clock with their C4? I've got mine hooked it up to a DA DMC.Micro which is acting as the host device, but the C4 is being controlled by my MC6 Mkii and Midi Baby. It responds perfectly to engage/bypass, pc scrolling, and tap tempo commands from the MC6 and Midi Baby, but won't respond to Midi Clock. I hooked it back up to the editor to double check that I had checked off Midi Clock on the presets with an LFO or Arp. Firmware is updated to the latest.

Some pics of the work in progress below:

Brockstar and The Holy Drinker like this.
  19. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher Member

I already asked for portamento ages ago and was told it wasn’t possible.

The main things I think would hugely improve the pedal are independently controllable ADS envelope stages, or at the very least, an independent sustain stage for using the envelope with the filter. I think the problem stems from having both the filter and the amplifier sharing the envelopes.

The other thing which would be a massive improvement would be independent LFO and Envelope depths (either global or per filter) instead of (or addition to) the modulation mix. At present it is impossible to have one processor reacting solely to envelope while having the other processor reacting solidly to LFO and that is a shame.

20. morrissey007

so here's my Arduino midi patch change, just needs boxing up, total cost around £15 but I reckon I can get it down to around £10 if I'd shopped around for the Arduino micro. I'll share the code if anyone wants it?