Source Audio C4 Modular Synth Pedal

DisasterArea

Owner, Disaster Area Designs and Alexander Pedals
Finally getting around to this crazy midi board build, and testing out the midi signal chain. Everything working great with the C4 and all my devices, except for Midi Clock. Anyone having success with using MIDI Clock with their C4? I've got mine hooked it up to a DA DMC.Micro which is acting as the host device, but the C4 is being controlled by my MC6 Mkii and Midi Baby. It responds perfectly to engage/bypass, pc scrolling, and tap tempo commands from the MC6 and Midi Baby, but won't respond to Midi Clock. I hooked it back up to the editor to double check that I had checked off Midi Clock on the presets with an LFO or Arp. Firmware is updated to the latest.

Some pics of the work in progress below:
View media item 170669View media item 170670
I haven't tested MIDI clock much after the initial "yup, that works" moment. I'll give it a go next week when I get to the shop and see what is up. We do pass any / all incoming MIDI to the USB device, so it should be no problem, but it also depends on the C4 or your other MIDI device.

Looking at your board I can't help think that a couple of micro.ghosts would be a nice solution. Hoping to have the production boards in the shop on Tuesday :aok

Gibs210

I haven't tested MIDI clock much after the initial "yup, that works" moment. I'll give it a go next week when I get to the shop and see what is up. We do pass any / all incoming MIDI to the USB device, so it should be no problem, but it also depends on the C4 or your other MIDI device.

Looking at your board I can't help think that a couple of micro.ghosts would be a nice solution. Hoping to have the production boards in the shop on Tuesday :aok
I need me one of those bad.

jondom22

Supporting Member

Thanks for the reply dude! My holiday weekend is basically wiring up this crazy rig, having a new roommate move in, cleaning, and hopefully getting to the beach before work becomes crazy post-labor day.

The good news is that signal is passing through the whole board and sounding great (lots of fun running the C4 into my MD-500, Mobius, Mood, Radical, etc.)! Stoked to be able to use the C4 within the rig now. Midi signal is flowing through the whole chain including clock to my other devices aside from the C4. Gonna be mad fun once I finish wiring!

DisasterArea

Owner, Disaster Area Designs and Alexander Pedals
Thanks for the reply dude! My holiday weekend is basically wiring up this crazy rig, having a new roommate move in, cleaning, and hopefully getting to the beach before work becomes crazy post-labor day.

The good news is that signal is passing through the whole board and sounding great (lots of fun running the C4 into my MD-500, Mobius, Mood, Radical, etc.)! Stoked to be able to use the C4 within the rig now. Midi signal is flowing through the whole chain including clock to my other devices aside from the C4. Gonna be mad fun once I finish wiring!
Sounds like you're having a busy weekend! I did some testing with my C4 on the latest firmware and sure enough the micro.ghost is not passing MIDI clock. I traced the problem down to the way we're handling the channel filtering - MIDI.getChannel() returns the MIDI channel of the message but system and sys real messages don't have a channel so they return zero. I made a couple of quick changes and now it's working on the micro.ghost. I'll back-port that to everything else and get some updates done on Tuesday, if you can wait that long.

jondom22

Supporting Member
Sounds like you're having a busy weekend! I did some testing with my C4 on the latest firmware and sure enough the micro.ghost is not passing MIDI clock. I traced the problem down to the way we're handling the channel filtering - MIDI.getChannel() returns the MIDI channel of the message but system and sys real messages don't have a channel so they return zero. I made a couple of quick changes and now it's working on the micro.ghost. I'll back-port that to everything else and get some updates done on Tuesday, if you can wait that long.
Great to hear! Thx for spending the time to figure it out. Looking forward to implementing and getting a micro.ghost as well.

Just a couple of things..I know the published presets are for all to use and enjoy. However, making a simple change to one and reposting as your own without credit is kind of disrespectful to the original creator.(polysix+ by the hook). More importantly, I was curious how most people are using expression. Through soleman, or into the hub or direct to C4? Thinking of adding expression somewhere in the chain. Despite the published preset issue will probably put up a few new ones anyway since some people seem to utilize them.

Quatschmacher

Just a couple of things..I know the published presets are for all to use and enjoy. However, making a simple change to one and reposting as your own without credit is kind of disrespectful to the original creator.(polysix+ by the hook). More importantly, I was curious how most people are using expression. Through soleman, or into the hub or direct to C4? Thinking of adding expression somewhere in the chain. Despite the published preset issue will probably put up a few new ones anyway since some people seem to utilize them.
I’m using a Moog EP-3 via the Hub and have used expression control on pretty much all of my patches.

rsmith601

Vendor
I often say that community presets range from "OK" to amazing. Well, that one is a bit less than OK. It is kind of the good and bad of the experience. Luckily, there is very little of that....and lots of awesome!!

Gibs210

Experienced that for the first time a few weeks ago, someone took my wah pedal preset and all they did was turn on voice 2, didn’t even change the preset name or description, could’ve been a whoopsie as I don’t think that user had any other presets so I’m guessing they’re new to the scene.

Prawntheman

Does this do intelligent harmonizing and pitch shifting stuff that sounds like a second guitar? I'm talking stuff like Brian May, Iron Maiden. I've not seen many demos that showcase that. They usually show a synthy filtered sound that I'm not looking for.
Can this replace my TC Electronic Quintessence Harmonizer? An intelligent harmonizer with presets and MIDI just makes so much sense to me. If you guys have any links to demos that showcase that please share here. Thanks!

Can this replace my TC Electronic Quintessence Harmonizer? An intelligent harmonizer with presets and MIDI just makes so much sense to me. If you guys have any links to demos that showcase that please share here. Thanks!
That was also one of my questions and the answer would be YES ... but the C4 is far more powerful than my Quintessence and it would be better used for more high level sound building. And unfortunately the Spectrum which seems to be the ideal candidate for this replacement is very expensive in Europe ( related to C4 ???), the TC Electronic Mash button feature seems also complicated to recreate with expression pedal, so I keep my TC pedal until some price adjustment event...

Prawntheman

That was also one of my questions and the answer would be YES ... but the C4 is far more powerful than my Quintessence and it would be better used for more high level sound building. And unfortunately the Spectrum which seems to be the ideal candidate for this replacement is very expensive in Europe ( related to C4 ???), the TC Electronic Mash button feature seems also complicated to recreate with expression pedal, so I keep my TC pedal until some price adjustment event...
You have both the Quintessence and C4? If you have some free time I'd love to hear a side by side comparison! Demos of the C4's pitch shifting and intelligent harmonization capabilities are oddly scarce.

You have both the Quintessence and C4? If you have some free time I'd love to hear a side by side comparison! Demos of the C4's pitch shifting and intelligent harmonization capabilities are oddly scarce.
I am sure that SA will provide such demos for the Spectrum, just a matter of time. May be @rsmith601 could help you.
Some guy who made a very nice Quintessence demo also made a nice C4 demo, may be he could help with this kind of request.
Sorry but I am busy on several projects and not used to this kind of demo which could consume lot of time to be correct.

I don’t know about the Quintessence. C4 has a bit of latency with the polyphonic pitch shifter. I wouldn’t use it as my main pitch shifter but it is an amazingly useful module/option for sound design within C4.

I made a demo with C4 using my presets and most of them have a polyphonic pitch shifter but not as the sole effect. You can see how I’m utilizing the pitch shifter here:

Prawntheman

I don’t know about the Quintessence. C4 has a bit of latency with the polyphonic pitch shifter. I wouldn’t use it as my main pitch shifter but it is an amazingly useful module/option for sound design within C4.

I made a demo with C4 using my presets and most of them have a polyphonic pitch shifter but not as the sole effect. You can see how I’m utilizing the pitch shifter here:
Great demo!

I've actually seen that already. The application isn't exactly what I'm looking for, but it still showcases the more extreme settings on tap.

Great demo!

I've actually seen that already. The application isn't exactly what I'm looking for, but it still showcases the more extreme settings on tap.
Thanks! Source Audio Instagram page should have a couple of examples of polyphonic pitch shifter only sounds but I haven’t seen any harmony only sound examples.

bassbrad

Hello
Quick question.. C4 will work with a Boss fv-500h expression pedal ?
It should with the proper cable as long as it uses a TRS, you will need a 1/4" TRS to 1/8" TRS or use an adapter. I use a Zoom FP02M that works fine. You will need to make the setting in Neuro to select which parameter to control.

Trending Topics