Source Audio C4 Modular Synth Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rsmith601, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher Member

Added to my Spotify lists. Thanks for the recommendations.

Brockstar likes this.
  2. Brockstar

Brockstar Member

I recommend checking everything by them out. I'm a total fan of everything, although some the stuff after the 70's is hit and miss but still good!

Also I got my Electro-Harmonix Ring Thing in mail yesterday and it's so freaking fun and mixing it with the C4 is even funner!

I have a TC Electronic Sub 'n' Up coming in today and I think that is going to play with c4 nice as well.

jondom22 likes this.
  3. jondom22

jondom22 Supporting Member

Dude glad u got the Ring Thing. That’s been my fav pedal forever. Put it in Upper Band mode with square wave oscillator and run a fuzz in front for some grimey but cutting stuff. My fav new thing is using the Fairfield Unpleasant Surprise > ring thing and putting those both in the fx loop of an envelope or expression filter. You can use the C4 to do that so you trigger the envelope with your clean signal but apply the filter post fuzz/ring thing.

Seriously tho, C4 + Ring Mod/Frequency Mod pedals + analog delay = spaceship grime funk

Tri Pedal Reviews and Brockstar like this.
  4. Brockstar

Brockstar Member

It's pretty nice, still learning it more! :D

LSMFT6 and jondom22 like this.
  5. diego.fresh

diego.fresh Member

Hey guys, I am finally getting back around to playing with my purple C4. But I need some advice and insight on how others are using it in their chain. Are most of you using a single input ? Is anyone using routing options? It gets very complex.

What I am looking to do is put c4 at front of guitar chain into DPC-8EZ loop switch. I would then like to use the insert between loops 4-5 and route through the c4's 2nd input and output. That is how it is cabled right now. When pedal is bypassed everything routes OK. That is good. But when I engage the C4 it seems to bypass the FX between output 1 and input 2. I tried routing the signal using the processors and voices, but had mixed results. Also, some of the community presets use all 4 voices and both processors so they would not work (unless I am missing something).

I have also tried the FX Pre Routing and it seem to work OK as long as I select the routing option. But, when I put c4 in bypass I lose the FX in the loop. Pretty sure that is meant to be an always on type of loop that gets engaged by C4. Not exactly what I am going for. I could theoretically create a blank preset to make sure that those FX are turned on, but now I am starting to wonder if it is worth it. I could just put the C4 in between loops 4-5, or something like that instead.

My main purpose is to get EHX 9 series (Mel, Synth and B9), in front of the C4 effects but also keep a clean input signal. The EHX pedals are going on a second board with a mini loop switch. So, I am NOT asking you guys to solve my issue - my set up is pretty complex and I have not even gotten into it all yet...

I just wanted to know how others are using the second input/output ? Any one else routing other pedals through the C4? Any other complex routing configurations? Thanks!

6. Brockstar

Brockstar Member

"My main purpose is to get EHX 9 series (Mel, Synth and B9), in front of the C4 effects"

C4 works best with effects after it... I have synth 9 and mel 9 and key 9 and other pedals and they all screw up the tracking before C4... but if you put after C4 it works best... only if you're combining and mixing them with C4 that is.

7. Brian Williams

Brian Williams Member

It does,had the sub n up before I got the C4. I wish it held more than one toneprint, but easy to switch with the editor or app. I run the the C4,Future impact, and the rest of my effects(starting with the sub n up) in 3 parallel loops with EHX tri-parallel mixer. Makes it easier to manage input signal and when experimenting with routing..like running output 1 into input 2 etc, etc.

Brockstar likes this.
  8. jondom22

jondom22 Supporting Member

- The benefit of using the C4 with it's fx loop routing is only if you want to trigger the envelope of the C4 filters with your clean signal but have the filter applied post dirt/mod etc. If you're just looking to "modulate" the C4 patches with the EHX 9 series or other fx, I wouldn't bother with the fx loop routing of the C4.

- The con of running the C4 in fx loop mode is that you only get 1 master processor, which means all of your voices have to go to the same filter and sequencer, whereas in regular mode you can have voices go to 1 of 2 filters or sequencers (ie voice 1 = saw oct below goes to env filter, voice 2 = square oct above goes to LFO filter).

- I think you are correct that you would need to keep the C4 always engaged (and not bypassed) with a blank fx loop template in order for you to come in and out of both loops and hit your other pedals even if the C4 is just passing signal.

- I debated whether using the FX loop, because I love envelope filters with other fx in the loop. I decided against it for the following reasons:
    :: I can use the built in fuzzes within the C4 when I want fuzzy or pitch shifter filters.
    :: I can modulate my other fuzzes/dirt/pitch shifter pedal via LFO or expression filters by placing those in front of it (I just bypass them when using the C4).
    :: I have a Mobius and MD-500 for my modulation pedals both set up in pre-post mode, so I can route them ahead of the C4 for LFO or expression filters, or after the C4 to modulate the C4 patches.
    :: I have an analog enveloper/expression filter with an fx loop that goes right after my tuner, and then puts all my dirt, pitch shift, C4, modulation within the loop, so I can still get most of the benefits I would have with using the C4 in fx loop mode (obv my analog filter only has 2 filter types instead of 20 like the C4).

9. diego.fresh

diego.fresh Member

Yeah you know, I can't decide what I like better. they both like to be closer to the front for better tracking. although I think the c4 up front works better for most stuff. sequencers after the synth/mel is pretty tasty. I think I might have to try the pre fx loop option again as that might nudge its way back into the conversation.

Brockstar likes this.
  10. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Supporting Member

I'm sure the answer is in here somewhere, please forgive - I want to call up some of those 128 presets as well as send clock from an HX effects. I guess I need one of the Disaster Area Ghost devices? Any other way you might suggest I skin that cat? I also want to send clock, PC, CC to an RV-500 via 5pin. Advice, confirmation, pity all welcome.

11. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

we’ve heard from a few helix users (mainly stomp) that they are able to use their helix as a midi usb host to control the c4, we have not tested this, but you could try it out and see what happens. If not then yes, you will need a micro.ghost.

ChipOnly likes this.
  12. Ratterbass

Ratterbass Member

Unlikely.. Helix has no host capabilities whatsoever. I've owned one for two and a half years and this is imho one of the big shortcomings of the HX devices.

I'd be happy if someone could prove me wrong here. Maybe @Digital Igloo can chime in on this?

Anyways, I've used the hub successfully with the C4 for patches and sending CC100 for expression from Helix to it.

Building my own host right now, though.

ChipOnly likes this.
  13. Brockstar

Brockstar Member

Some fun Sunday looping with the @sourceaudio C4 synth, @chaseblissaudio MOOD, @empress_effects ZOIA and @official_line6 Helix. Trying to do a cello / violin thing. C4 synth going into ZOIA that is doing a clean picking loop but also has this nasally sound that adds to the C4 synth overall tone for the cello / violin part and MOOD is deep in the background with some delay. Line 6 helix providing reverb and delay as well in the background.

14. BintyTwanger77

BintyTwanger77 Member

@rsmith601 This pedal, from the demos, looks mind-blowingly versatile.

I may be way off the mark in asking, but can it be used as a straight filter, phaser and/or octave pedal without the synth (like the Meris Enzo in Dry mode)?

15. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher Member

Yes it can. As can the Spectrum.

16. BintyTwanger77

BintyTwanger77 Member

In a way, I was hoping that you wouldn't say that! Now want one...

FrogT and Brockstar like this.
  17. balsbury

balsbury Member

Hub scene support for the C4, anyone, hello?:) SA goes above and beyond so we patiently wait but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss any updates.
    I put my C4 on a different midi channel as my hub in preparation, someone else here mentioned that might be a good idea.

18. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher Member

We’re beta testing now! I’ve been busy with FI stuff until yesterday though so can get stuck in this week.

Christian Surieux and balsbury like this.
  19. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

Get back to the REALLY important stuff! :)

20. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher Member

I will be on this. FI got released yesterday so I was frantically writing up last-minute changes and new text and have spent much of today doing online support with people updating. I finally know how you must feel, Roger! It’s exhausting.

rsmith601 likes this.