Source Audio C4 Modular Synth Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rsmith601, Feb 16, 2018.

1. SirTarquin

SirTarquin Member

Has anyone attempted to recreate the filters from the Line 6 FM4 (/M5/M9/M13) yet? There are a few filter sounds in there I’m interested in using, but from everything I’ve read, it (they) doesn’t (don’t) work very well for bass. The Spectrum is an overall better filter pedal and it’s already been demonstrated that it does work well for bass.

Daniel Krawchuk likes this.
  2. Ratterbass

Ratterbass Member

The "problem" with the L6 filters is that none of them work with heavily processed sounds imho. Been using a Helix for a few years and M series before that.

For your standard auto wah etc they work just fine but imho they don't work well with fuzzes or octaves before them. They don't have dry signal envelope detectors and it shows.

That being said, they do work just as well on bass as on guitar and you can absolutely achieve these sounds with C4/Spectrum. Never had an urge to do so, though as C4 is just miles ahead... Of the multi effects I've tried only the current Axe Fx holds a candle to the C4 in terms of synth and filter. We're talking about a unit 10 times the price, though (without a controller).

It's amazing what SA put out with the C4 in terms of flexibility, quality and price.

Fingers crossed, the success of C4 will lead to a big one series synth one day:oops:

Daniel Krawchuk likes this.
  3. SirTarquin

SirTarquin Member

Oh, I’m certain it is more than capable of those sounds, I just am very lost when it comes to programming the nuances of filters and envelopes, so am not sure how to program it myself. Not to mention even with all the provided charts and graphs, the envelope presets still completely confuse me.

And sure, the C4 is probably miles a head in terms of synth sounds, but some of those filter sounds on the FM4 are pretty usable. I’d imagine Tron Up/Down is the same as the Spectrum’s Tron setting, but I could see things like the Throbber, Spin Cycle, and Slow Filter settings definitely finding a place in the Spectrum/C4

4. Brian Williams

Brian Williams Member

Wow just catching up here,pages add up fast. Finally seem to be getting more consistency from the C4. Ignoring the calibration instructions and a compressor at the front of the chain seems to work for me. i wouldn't recommend that for everybody..too many variables to consider. Everyday life cutting into my playing time, so i haven't put up new patches that I had done a couple of weeks ago..probably next couple of days. Of course, now I have to split my time with the release of the FI v3! (wall of sound FI/C4 together!)

Quatschmacher and diego.fresh like this.
  5. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher Member

I’m looking forward to hearing what you do with the FI now after loving your C4 patches; I look forward to the new ones you mentioned.

6. diego.fresh

diego.fresh Member

OK so I am REALLY happy with the way the C4 and the EHX 9 pedals react together when I use Pre Effect Ext. Loop Mode. And this does not require me to use any of the voices or processors. I can take community presets and use them pretty easily, just have to change the routing mode. Which leads me to a question.

In the editor I selected the box for:
    External Loop Safe Mode: Check this box when using the Pre-Processing External Loop routing option. It will prevent your effect from feeding back when engaged

AND

Default Input: External Loop

Question: What does this do? I was hoping that this would override settings from community presets, but it seems I still need to manually set each one for the External Loop. Not a BIG deal as I am typically tweaking other settings too.

Another question: Is there a MIDI CC to change input routing options ? It would be really cool if I could turn that loop on and off with a footswitch on my MIDI controller

Thanks

7. Intrglctcrevfnk

Intrglctcrevfnk Supporting Member

I had (still have actually, about to post it on Reverb) an M9 and recently moved up to a HX Stomp for the amp modeling and the same stuff I was using on the M9. Originally had a DL4 and I used the M9 for delay, reverb, looper along with the octaver and a few of those filters. Throbber was kind of fun.

If you move up to the C4 I’d check the community presets for easy to use and starting points for filters. The Spectrum preset cloud is very scarce compared to the C4. I had the SA team concert 4 or 5 of my envelope filter based presets hoping to help the Spectrum get to critical mass.

I’d bet the throbber and spin cycle are doable on the C4 with a properly configured LFO, I’ll try to come up with some C4 analogues of those if I get some time this weekend.

diego.fresh likes this.
  8. Brockstar

Brockstar Member

Woohoo got me a used source audio hot hand 3 unit for $69 on reverb :D Can't wait to try it with the C4 and my ZOIA and MOOD and other things! I had one before a few years back but wasn't into my "experimental" phase as much as I am now doing more ambient and experimental and guitar synth music, so I am glad to have it come and be part of the family with me. Great for people who can't use their feet for pedals much like me! I love all sorts of expression units that make it easier on me!

9. Brian Williams

Brian Williams Member

Thanks. I wish I had more time to spend on them both.Big project for work coming up though will eat up my time for a bit. I enjoy programming though. Always was funny to me many keys players I worked with didn't program much. I worked with one where I had the same board ,programmed his for our sets, another I took his board during the week to set up etc... Great players but programming was like speaking Klingon to them.
    Blah,blah..rambling again,sorry. To the point, just uploaded a bunch of new patches. Filters , basses, some unusual stuff, a bunch of heavy patches I was doing to demonstrate the C4 for a friend thinking about one. Hope I can still find time for the C4, but really want to get into FI v3 if I get some program time. Enjoy.

jondom22 and Christian Surieux like this.
  10. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher Member

I’ll check them out, sadly I am feeling a bit ill right now so need to just go to bed. Hopefully I’ll get time to check your new ones tomorrow.

The beauty of the FI editor is that you can still Program sounds without an instrument. I might take mine to work and program in my lunch break.

Christian Surieux likes this.
  11. Christian Surieux

Christian Surieux Member

But Klingons seem more prone to action than bla bla ;) it could be the good choice in this case ;).

12. Åsmund Selland

Åsmund Selland Member

I cba to to through 230 pages, so I'm sorry if this has been asked before. But according to Source Audio, this thing can do the exact same things as the Spectrum. And I'm very interested in the Spectrum. Thing is. I might get the C4 for more versatility. However.. is it easy to get the sounds of the Spectrum in the C4 without having to deal with a shitload of research in the app?

13. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher Member

Yes. Easy.

Åsmund Selland likes this.
  14. joelster

joelster Silver Supporting Member

SA downloads page is currently offline. I am hoping that it's because a new editor release is imminent.

15. joelster

joelster Silver Supporting Member

16. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

I told all of you that getting the Hub to support the C4 100% was going to be extremely difficult for us and take significant engineering resources. Some of you did not believe me. Now that the project is almost finished, I can say that the last 5% of the project took 90% of the effort.
    Hardware/Firmware/Interaction with Windows and XOS is absolutely awful work! And, I suspect that this is why so few other companies do it. But, when its all finished and working......it's awesome!

17. diego.fresh

diego.fresh Member

Happy Halloween
    Used the eleven preset to make this

EHX Mel9 strings then switch to EHX Synth9 vibe synth (both are in pre fix loop on C4)
    Then into some power booster with treble boosted , then into prince of tone and xotic compressor
    Then:
    Source Audio Nemesis Degrade
    Source audio ventris modverb / edome

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    slimefuzz, Gibs210 and LionVerse like this.
  18. slimefuzz

slimefuzz Member

here's one a bit spooky sounding. maybe sounds of another realm?
    Fretless guitar>C4 synth (filter, synth and octave fuzz) with Boneshaker in loop>GT1

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  19. Christian Surieux

Christian Surieux Member

Great, next step would be to integrate Alexa and/or Google assistant or some Source Audio IA based on quantum computing ;)

LionVerse and rsmith601 like this.
  20. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

I think we just found our project leader!! ;)

jquanmusic, LionVerse and diego.fresh like this.