Source Audio C4 Modular Synth Pedal

Oldbramwell

Hi guys - just received my C4 Synth. Very late to the party & sorry if this has been addressed before. Since all Spectrum presets are compatible with the C4, I was particularly hoping to use the C4 to access all six of the factory-installed Spectrum presets. But, under factory presets, I can find only two (Tron & Thrust) of the factory-installed Spectrum presets. Where can I find the other 4 (Dumpling, Punch, Vocal synth, Octave lead)? Thanks.

Gibs210

Hi guys - just received my C4 Synth. Very late to the party & sorry if this has been addressed before. Since all Spectrum presets are compatible with the C4, I was particularly hoping to use the C4 to access all six of the factory-installed Spectrum presets. But, under factory presets, I can find only two (Tron & Thrust) of the factory-installed Spectrum presets. Where can I find the other 4 (Dumpling, Punch, Vocal synth, Octave lead)? Thanks.
Use the search function in the cloud section, type in one of the spectrum presets names, and they should pop up, they were all posted by username nathannavarro.

Oldbramwell

Use the search function in the cloud section, type in one of the spectrum presets names, and they should pop up, they were all posted by username nathannavarro.
Thanks, @Gibs210. Searching under Nathan's name did the trick.

But it does seem odd that the factory presets for both the C4 & Spectrum aren't all simply available under the Factory tabs in the cloud. And three of the presets installed in the Spectrum (Split Octaves/Gated Phaser/Bandpass) are different to those listed in the Spectrum manual (Punch, Vocal synth, Octave Lead). Threw me for a while...!

Catching up...the Star Wars reference,hilarious. Planning on a new release of patches,mixed bag bass, horns ,strings,arps etc. I thought I might try some sound clips (new to that,with limited means) ,but right now I am only able to play in a very limited range on the bass due to surgery(still in a sling,doc said ok to use hand NOT arm), I'm afraid it would consist of mindless noodling,maybe a bit embarassing(attempt at pre-apology!) but would get the sound out. I was going to wait til I can play again ,but thought it might be nice for Labor Day. Can links to clips be attached after posting? Also been noticing something more and more; esp. patches shifting pitch "up" the C4 seems to track much better in passive mode than active. Is that a consistent finding for most users?

10us

Just got my C4 and loving it! One question though;
Maybe I missed it but am I correct when I say that it is not possible to mute one (Or more) of the steps in the sequencer?

Quatschmacher

Just got my C4 and loving it! One question though;
Maybe I missed it but am I correct when I say that it is not possible to mute one (Or more) of the steps in the sequencer?
Not currently possible. I fudge it by pitching it to either maximum or minimum for steps I would like to be rests. It’s sometimes necessary to also pitch the sounding sequencer steps up or down an octave or two and adjust them back into the range you desire using the oscillators’ octave offsets; this ensures a separation of a few octaves between your sounding notes and those that you have pitched to the extreme in order to fake rest steps.

Well, took longer to get patches up (family stuff) and man it sucks not having both hands right now. First time trying to add soundcloud links..found it a bit confusing, some not loading right or doubled(?). Some didn't come out i as intended(not the greatest recording gear),but gets the basic idea. Still got lots of presets in the works. This group is just a sample of how varied the sounds can be from the C4.

Quatschmacher

Well, took longer to get patches up (family stuff) and man it sucks not having both hands right now. First time trying to add soundcloud links..found it a bit confusing, some not loading right or doubled(?). Some didn't come out i as intended(not the greatest recording gear),but gets the basic idea. Still got lots of presets in the works. This group is just a sample of how varied the sounds can be from the C4.
Sorry to hear of your arm trouble, Brian, I hope you recover fully and swiftly.

Sterling work again with the patches; I’ll be downloading a good number of those later; thanks for sharing them. I hope the good folks at Source Audio reward your work with a “featured artist” slot before the end of the year as it’d be well-deserved; you have made some great sounds.

mdickun83

Hi everyone. I'm new here. I'm looking to get the C4 pedal for the bass but I'll be using it mostly with garage band (it's the only DAW I have). I just want to make sure it will be compatible with garage band before I buy it. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks.

Quatschmacher

Hi everyone. I'm new here. I'm looking to get the C4 pedal for the bass but I'll be using it mostly with garage band (it's the only DAW I have). I just want to make sure it will be compatible with garage band before I buy it. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks.
It’s not a vst or MIDI synth (notes are only triggered via audio input), though parameters can be modulated via MIDI CCs.

What are you expecting it to be able to do?

Jefbyos

To be honest, I hadn’t set or programmed the presets in P mode at all. By default the P mode scrolled the C4’s presets right out of the box, though offset by one (I.e. P 00 = C4 preset 1, P 01 = C4 preset 2, etc.)
My guess is that maybe the DMC.micro’s default Presets always were sending an “activate” instruction that maybe the C4 didn’t respond to until the 1.14 update?
Hi There,

I am discovering that issue myself... Is there a workaround that has been found and that i was not able to find on those pages ?

I use the DMC only for my C4, and i find disturbing that the pedal switch on when you browse programs. I modified all presets on Bypass but that did not solved the issue. When i Hold the left switch on the DMC, it invert the behaviour (the C4 is being switched off when browsing, which is not much better because sometimes you want to to browse and hear the different sound, sometimes you don't... I believe the more intuitive way would be that the DMC controls only the program number, and the C4 swicth, it's state.

Sorry if that's been already covered, and thanks for any help.

Hi There,

I am discovering that issue myself... Is there a workaround that has been found and that i was not able to find on those pages ?

I use the DMC only for my C4, and i find disturbing that the pedal switch on when you browse programs. I modified all presets on Bypass but that did not solved the issue. When i Hold the left switch on the DMC, it invert the behaviour (the C4 is being switched off when browsing, which is not much better because sometimes you want to to browse and hear the different sound, sometimes you don't... I believe the more intuitive way would be that the DMC controls only the program number, and the C4 swicth, it's state.

Sorry if that's been already covered, and thanks for any help.
Curious....Did we just have this discussion on the FB C4 users group the other day?

Bork

Your email was the subject of our lunch conversation yesterday!! Thank you.
Hi Roger, are there any updates on whether any of the suggestions (below) were feasible?

Hi there, I sent you an email via the web site the day before yesterday but a contact suggested I come on here and repost.

A bit of context: I play bass and guitar. I bought the C4 specifically for it's arp capability, having owned and been disappointed by the same functionality in a Cooper FX Moment Machine and Adrenalinn III. I also have the Future Impact and Deep Impact pedals as well as a few rack mounted synth modules such as the Yammie CS6R and a bass with pitch to midi capability. So I'm no stranger to synths.

I really like what you've achieved with the C4 and I'm grateful that someone else has offered an alternative arp capability. I also really value that arp-ing is possible with pedals as I generally avoid software based set ups due to inbuilt obsolescence and a laptop with ableton is too fragile and nickable for gigging with anyway.

In my message I offered the following suggestions for the pedal that I hope are welcome:

1) Envelope for individual steps
I have found that two consecutive steps of the same pitch tend to blur into one another. The Moment Machine had the same issue. The Adrenalinn III isn't a true arpeggiator but it does have individual envelope per step and it makes a huge improvement in note clarity and punch. It can also be useful for overdrive effects. Would it be possible to consider this function in the future?

2) Mute for individual steps
For users who programme EDM stuff or covers it's sometimes useful to mute steps in a sequence. At the moment a bodge is possible by making the pitch of a step as low as possible and then applying a high pass filter. But it seems inefficient use of resources to achieve something that could be addressed with a tick box or radio button in the editing software.

3) More control over ADSR
Some patches I've tried programming, especially Stock Aitken and Waterman bass lines from the 80's, use the Sustain parameter to manage filter response. In the editing software it seems like ASDR parameters are limited to presets. Would it be possible to consider at least a user editable sustain parameter in the future?

4) UI issue in editing software
I've found that after downloading a patch to the pedal, the editing software sends me back to the start page instead of taking me back to where I was previously. For one patch this isn't a big deal but for 10 patches or more, it can add quite a bit of time and inconvenience to the editing process.

5) Form factor and connectivity - tap tempo/patch change/MIDI ports in a MkII version
I'm guessing that SA may have prioritised form factor but I'm finding that access to parameters and basic connectivity is compromised to a far greater degree than other pedals. I know that it's possible to buy extra accessories to restore what is surely basic functionality (MIDI/patch changes) in other pedals. And I also know that some controls such as tap tempo could potentially be assigned to other pedals using clock sync. - access to patch change buttons, tap tempo. Would it be possible to consider a larger format pedal as a Mark II in the future? One that offers USB and MIDI port connectivity, patch change buttons and tap tempo?

6) New idea - sustain function for incoming notes.
At the moment I'm using the C4 with a modified EHX Freeze pedal. The Freeze pedal is wet only and puts out a sustained note to drive the arp in the C4 while I'm playing other synth lines through the FI manually over the top. Gamechanger Audio offer something similar in their Pedal Plus. Would it be possible to offer a note sustain function in a future version?

Like I said, I love what you guys have done with the C4 and if I didn't like the pedal so much, I wouldn't be so enthusiastic about suggesting the above ideas for future consideration. I hope they're not seen as criticism, they're not.

Bork

I shared all of your input with the development team. There is no code space left in the C4. Your requests are on the list for the next generation product.
Ah, that's a shame. It seems like I'm going to put my own exploration on hold for the time being then as well. But I'm glad that the suggestions were considered and worthy of inclusion at some point. Thanks for replying.

Trending Topics