• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Source Audio C4 Modular Synth Pedal

dreamality

It is worth reading. However, in summary both pedals are capable of all the same sounds so no need to buy both (unless you really don’t want to use the editor).
Thanks for your reply. I do plan on reading the whole thread, but I'm not able to at the moment. Really looking forward to this as well!

rsmith601

Vendor
I’m particularly talking with respect to the synth voices, which are generated by the pedal itself (using the bass’s pitch to determine pitch and the bass’s amplitude (above a certain set threshold) to trigger the voice(s) and envelopes. I wasn’t asking for ADSR control of the instrument signal, rather of the filter envelope, which again, I presume is gated on and off by the instrument’s amplitude signal being above and below a certain set threshold.

For the amplitude of the synth voices, wouldn’t it be possible (in a simple example) to have the voices play at a constant (here maximum) sustain level for as long as the bass input amplitude is above the threshold and for the voices to gate off as soon as the bass signal drops below the threshold? And would it not be possible to have full ADS control over the FILTER’s envelope during that time?
This is easier said than done. The real challenge is having a pitch detector that is looking for a new for a new note, and what you are suggesting is that it should go into a hold mode determined by some kind of amplitude threshold. This requires that we set up the pitch detector to ignore even more things at more times than it already does. The problem is that we have already overloaded the pitch detector with lots of things to get it to ignore false alarms, and yet be lightning fast. It is really busy at all times, because good tracking is job #1. Adding what you are looking for would require a different approach to this section and certainly at the risk of less effective tracking.

rsmith601

Vendor
Just my $0.02 suggestions for arpegiator sequences:

• Ascending, descending, and random whole tone scale
  • Ascending, descending, and random chromatic scale
  • Ascending, descending, and random notes (like the sample and hold on an analog synth)

Can the arpegiator sequence be assigned to change programs? For example, playing one note with "patch A," the next note with "patch B," and the next note with "patch C," and on and on.

Again, just my $0.02.
We have:
  • random chromatic scale
  • augmented flat 7 arpeggio (whole tone sound)

Just to understand the last point. Do you mean that different notes will trigger different sequences? If so, then no. We do not do this. You could certainly use MIDI to recall any ew sequence at any time.

wbasstrolo

I guess it's important to remember that this is primarily a synth pedal, and decisions are made to make sure it's primary job is done as best as possible.
If source audio wanted to make the world's best arpeggiator, they would.
The more I think about it, the more I realize the arpeggiator settings would be a wild thing to expand on in a dedicated octaver/pitch shifter.

MartyReasoner

We have:
  • random chromatic scale
  • augmented flat 7 arpeggio (whole tone sound)

Just to understand the last point. Do you mean that different notes will trigger different sequences? If so, then no. We do not do this. You could certainly use MIDI to recall any ew sequence at any time.
I think he is suggesting something like the elektron style pattern lock features on the digitakt and other products. In those products you can change all or many synth parameters per sequence step. So in theory the first step could have a completely different synth patch than the next step.

Probably out of the scope of the simple arp you guys have in mind.

Fred Smith

I think he is suggesting something like the elektron style pattern lock features on the digitakt and other products. In those products you can change all or many synth parameters per sequence step. So in theory the first step could have a completely different synth patch than the next step.

Probably out of the scope of the simple arp you guys have in mind.
Yes. This is accurate.

If it is out of scope, no problem. I can achieve the same effect by switching programs with a MIDI pedal with quick toe-tapping.

rsmith601

Vendor
Yes. This is accurate.

If it is out of scope, no problem. I can achieve the same effect by switching programs with a MIDI pedal with quick toe-tapping.
I think at this stage it is out of scope. Scope can be HHUUGGEE with a product like this if we are not careful!

SirTarquin

@rsmith601, will the Neuro editor have a way of testing sounds on the C4 without having an instrument plugged in for those of us whose desktop in stuck in a location not at all convenient to have an instrument in front of?

Also, about those waveform samples..... :D

LionVerse

Anhedonic Misanthrope
Silver Supporting Member
@rsmith601, will the Neuro editor have a way of testing sounds on the C4 without having an instrument plugged in for those of us whose desktop in stuck in a location not at all convenient to have an instrument in front of?

Also, about those waveform samples..... :D
No the software only controls the pedals. All the noise making magic happens in the pedal.

Quatschmacher

No the software only controls the pedals. All the noise making magic happens in the pedal.
The two aren’t necessarily mutually exclusive: for example, the Future Impact editor has a clickable keyboard so it is possible to use without an instrument plugged in. However, this may only be possible due to the fact notes can be triggered via MIDI, something which I don’t think the C4 does (though perhaps it could).

Flip362

Coming off of that thought, it COULD be cool to have a group of “demo licks” or audio samples that could be played through the software so that you could hear what your specs/settings would sound like, but that would be a huge undertaking and would basically require the app to have all the programs/code of each pedal built in rather than just use as a controller/connectivity apparatus. Not worth it. It’s good that we can upload samples of what our settings sound like through our rig to give people a starting point. The leap you speak of would be too much.

I only say that because they have everything the same in the app for all the pedals. I don’t believe the audio detection in the c4 will be one that will translate into MIdI, even though that would be cool. This is still a guitar pedal, and not really a keyboard synth. Similarities? Absolutely! I doubt there will be a “demo” button like what can be found on the Roland keyboards to make everyone think you are the next Chopin or Bach!

rsmith601

Vendor
The two aren’t necessarily mutually exclusive: for example, the Future Impact editor has a clickable keyboard so it is possible to use without an instrument plugged in. However, this may only be possible due to the fact notes can be triggered via MIDI, something which I don’t think the C4 does (though perhaps it could).
This is all true. However, Nathan has not found this feature very useful, so we have not invested time in creating it. An instrument is much more useful in creating a sound that will be used with a preset, rather than a virtual instrument which will not likely be used with that preset.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom