Vendor Source Audio C4 Synth Project

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rsmith601, Feb 16, 2018.

1. LionVerse

LionVerse Silver Supporting Member

I think at least Roger and Bob from SA are pretty big fans so I would guess that's a sound they want to nail.

2. sumpe

sumpe Member

Make it the size of the Ventris/Nemesis and have the MIDI in/out in there, with more knobs to tweak things in the fly rather than via the Neuro App - thats my 2 cents.

CrashC317 likes this.
  3. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

as cool as that would be, haven't they already stated it was going to be a smaller 4 knob with the 3 way switch?

IAm MI and diego.fresh like this.
  4. sumpe

sumpe Member

... i think that is the tendency, but because it is still being developed, i would be curious if the folks looking for the 4 knob version would not just the same have a bigger, though not that much bigger, box with more tweakability - personally I go to the Neuro Hub just to create a new sound or find a new one, but tweaking on the fly and saving presets via Midi on the fly are a big deal, for some a deal breaker!

5. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

for me personally, I want knobs & instant tweaks -- I don't want menus/screens/editors. But, that's just me...

CrashC317 and sumpe like this.
  6. sumpe

sumpe Member

totallY! - that is what the Stingray allowed for. thinking about a modernised version of that pedal with Midi would be totally great - I sent my stingray back because I could not justify getting a Hub just to have presets. more hands on tweakability (and Midi) suits my everyday needs many times over going to an App or a computer to get an inspiring sound on... just think about how much more one would use the pedal that way, ie. in live performance/improv/etc.

7. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

We own a Mutron for this purpose. Also keep in mind there will be lots of published Jerry presets.

8. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

Super quacky and jerry in one box....

(wallet just opened up)

9. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

If you and 10,000 other people would pay $500 per unit, I could afford to create such a product. Those are the numbers. The only way I know how to create this monster is on the back of 2 simple pedals.

Edit: 7500 at $500 might do it.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    LSMFT6 and 4b454e like this.
  10. Tri Pedal Reviews

Tri Pedal Reviews Member

Love my Microtron 3, so if it gets anywhere close to that I'm all about it.

11. jquanmusic

jquanmusic Member

For all of the tweakabilty that Source Audio provides that would require a box with like 50 knobs and 20 switches. I'm good with the app. Don't get me wrong, it would be cool, but my board would weigh more than me.

12. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

agreed... loved that Lunar Phaser, but I get lost in parameters. That being said, if I could pull a couple presets from the app & only control a couple parameters -- I'll be good with that.

13. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

The filter pedal should have a "Spud Boy" mode. :p

14. sumpe

sumpe Member

I got no way of telling who would jump on this, but since no one is close to doing something u guys can do with that size box, choosing knobs intelligently and having a wheel for some 12 options would be killer (I think). 500USD is a lot of money, so maybe its asking for too much.

... I think the Ventris/Nemesis size box is ideal. They also got a tons of features in the App/Neuro Hub thing but on the box there are tons to mess with as is. You have, in my opinion, way more flexibility to manipulate a sound once you 'burn it' there than with the smaller pedals (maybe it is just me... OR maybe if the knobs of a 4 button pedal could be assignable to modify the parameters you would want, *per preset*, that could be a good compromise...Have a Knob A, Knob B, Knob 1 and Knob 2 and Presets 1, 2 and 3 in the switch....

15. pcs9527

pcs9527 Member

Just curious...since the Nemesis sells for $300 and Ventris for $400, why would this one end up costing more than those in that same format? It seems that the internal components would just be rehoused in a larger box with more knobs, since the smaller pedals are both capable of doing everything. I'm sure I am oversimplifying it though.

16. jquanmusic

jquanmusic Member

Ok, 12,000 at $400?

17. MartyReasoner

MartyReasoner Member

The research and development cost of the big box as well as the hardware cost is more than a small box. The market for delay and reverb is larger than for an octave/synth. Therefore, they need to sell the octave synth for a greater price to make up for the lack of demand or they will lose money on the product.

Nakoa and gibs5000 like this.
  18. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

This is exactly what I was going to write! Yes, the R&D costs are everything in doing a big complicated digital pedal.

19. MartyReasoner

MartyReasoner Member

I responded quickly because you had explained it before. On the next pedal design thread I am going to create an FAQ so that newcomers can grab that info without weeding through everything.

Nakoa likes this.
  20. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

Excellent idea!