Vendor Source Audio C4 Synth Project

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rsmith601, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Eldritch Tentacles

Eldritch Tentacles Member

When SA first started talking about this, my initial reaction was that it needed to be in a Nemesis type format.... the longer it’s been discussed , though, and the more I’ve thought about it; I’ve come to realize I’d actually PREFER it in the One Series format.
    This pedal is deep enough with possibilities that, even with more direct controls on its face, it most likely wouldn’t be an easy thing to tweak on the fly. Sub menus, multiple functions for many of the knobs, etc.... all equates to this being a “do your homework BEFORE the gig” kind of situation.
    Given that...The end result, speaking for myself, is make this thing the smallest footprint it can be with easy access to presets (6 is reasonable), and connectivity to a moble device for the rare case I’d even try to change a deep parameter before a gig.
    Seems SA are doing just that and, again, the more I think of it the more stoked I’ve gotten to see it come out and get my grubby mitts on one.

IAm MI, rsmith601 and LSMFT6 like this.
  2. Eldritch Tentacles

Eldritch Tentacles Member

I’m curious if you guys own a Guyatone Wah Rocker variant (WR3, WRm5). The unique charm of that little box is how the circuit responds more so than necessarily how different it sounds. I just watched a few Stingray demo videos and have little doubt about getting that “funk box” sound from the filters in the C4 but wonder if it can nail its particular “feel” too. That, obviously, you can’t tell from videos.

3. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

We don't. At this point our hope is that we will give enough control options so that lots of sounds are possible. The Mutron is important, because it is one of the top 3 sounds on the envelope pedal.

4. joelster

joelster Silver Supporting Member

Dang. I am growing increasingly excited. After this I may end up with an all SA board. This thing can’t get here soon enough. Keep workin’, boys!

rsmith601 likes this.
  5. Hugsonic

Hugsonic Member

Me too. If this thing can match my Octave Deluxe and FI. I will be all SA.

rsmith601 likes this.
  6. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

Its interesting. We were going to create a FI type pedal before the FI was created. Lots of people wanted to find a Deep Impact replacement. I killed the project because I thought it would be big, expensive, complicated, and low volume. And I am still certain this is the case. However, given the Neuro ecosystem, we can now create this sort of thing in a pedal with will be small, simple and medium volume. I hope it does all that you want!

IAm MI, schizo910, Gregmon79 and 2 others like this.
  7. Not Orange

Not Orange Supporting Member

Sounds great to me (no pun intended). :aok

8. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

I'm super excited to see what the filter brings to the table.... I have an Emma DiscumBOulator on both my guitar and bass pedalboards. Also own a Line 6 Otto Filter (which is great, and highly underrated) and an MXR Bass Envelope Filter.

9. Hugsonic

Hugsonic Member

I'm sure it will. To be honest if it can replace my Manta in a one series box I'm already happy. The rest sounds fantastic can't wait to see a demo!

10. shoepedals

shoepedals Vendor

I would imagine the size of the audience is the main difference. You need to make a profit and reach a certain flat dollar amount to do that based on the development costs. Loads and loads of people use delays and reverbs, so you can sell at a lower price because the higher volume will make up for it.

However the audience for a filter/pitch shifter is smaller. Therefore, you'd have a lower expected number of sales but still need to make back the same amount to cover development.

Take a look at the pro audio recording gear market for a good example. There are a lot less people in the market for a high quality microphone preamp or studio compressor, for example. This is why a lot of people in that market are somewhat skeptical that something costing under $1k per channel can even possibly function.

IAm MI, pcs9527 and rsmith601 like this.
  11. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

Nathan has just spent about 20 hours with the initial editor and the pedal. This is our thinking at the moment:
    Top level - if you want a high quality Octave pedal or Envelope Filter, these 2 pedals will fit the ticket well.
    Preset Browsing - more than any other product we have done, presets will be key on this pedal. I am imagining that lots of classic sounds will be modeled and lots of new sounds created.
    Editor Level - Due to the nature of this group of effects, the editor is currently complicated. If you know about modular synths, you are going to be fine. We are taking steps to make it easier, but many of you will want to browse the work of others rather than dive in. For those of you who have dreamed of a powerful synth in a small portable housing...….this is it.
    We will be posting a quick video clip today or tomorrow.

IAm MI, FbIsNotE, pyna and 24 others like this.
  12. Flip362

Flip362 Member

It will only let me like it once :(

13. bigEbeer

bigEbeer Member

Clips!!!!!!!! Yes!

14. Tri Pedal Reviews

Tri Pedal Reviews Member

Very stoked!

Exactly why having easy preset sharing from the get go is paramount to success with things like this, as long as that is built in, grab a preset someone spent time working on and go. Those that don't want to get into the technical details don't have to.

I think sharing in the Source Audio community is at an all time high, I'll be excited to see the ripple effects work with new products and see what creative minds can do with the tools you give them.

IAm MI, Nakoa and rsmith601 like this.
  15. jquanmusic

jquanmusic Member

In the studio last night talking about how awesome and terrible the Enzo is. This sounds like it solves all of my problems. I can't wait!

Nakoa and rsmith601 like this.
  16. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

Definitely my only "absolutely certain" gear purchase of 2019. Only downside is it will require investment in a second Hub, since I'm full up. That's kind of a drag, since I will also run out of board space when I add this upcoming pedal, so the other extra Hub slots may not be useful.

The board is a Terra, so it's not getting any bigger!

17. Tri Pedal Reviews

Tri Pedal Reviews Member

Got a pic?

18. schizo910

schizo910 Member

19. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

Not a recent one. I'll try to snap one in the next few days. I like to do that periodically for insurance reasons, anyway.

20. Gregmon79

Gregmon79 Member

Well damn, this is exciting. This could be a bassists dream come true.