1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Vendor Source Audio C4 Synth Project

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rsmith601, Feb 16, 2018.

1. 4b454e

4b454e Supporting Member

I think the Report function is the best bet.
    Also, the Ignore function can serve as a preventive measure.

Hofnarr likes this.
  2. HipUncle

HipUncle Supporting Member

It would really make responding to someone else unwieldy. For example, imagine trying to respond to one point of a 12 paragraph post.

In any event, you can't change what the person actually wrote, and the quote feature always points back to that.

Not Orange, Hofnarr and 4b454e like this.
  3. Hofnarr

Hofnarr Member

Well, ignoring somebody won't prevent them from mangling your words, it will just prevent you from knowing it happened, right? (I've never used the ignore function, so perhaps I'm wrong).

4b454e likes this.
  4. Hofnarr

Hofnarr Member

Good point, but I wasn't talking about the ability to quote snippets of somebody's post rather than the entire thing. That's definitely a useful function; in fact, I'm using it right now. I was criticizing the ability to change somebody's words when quoting them.

5. HipUncle

HipUncle Supporting Member

In a world where I have to choose between free-form editing of a quote that might be abused, vs. having to quote entire messages un-edited, I'll go with the free-form editing.

I may have changed your words, but I'm the one who looks ridiculous for doing it!

Not Orange, frisco, Hofnarr and 2 others like this.
  6. Adamixoye

Adamixoye Member

Well, as other have pointed out, being able to snip quotes is very important.

Secondly, there are non-malicious edits that can be made for comedy's sake.

This.

Hofnarr, 4b454e and HipUncle like this.
  7. 4b454e

4b454e Supporting Member

Ah, that’s very true. But if some jackalope mangles your words and you never see it, did it really happen?
    :crazy

Hofnarr likes this.
  8. bigEbeer

bigEbeer Member

That’s really cool. One of those things I never new I needed until I heard it. Hope the Spectrum can do it. If not, I’m gonna have to get the Sonuus.

AmmoniteII likes this.
  9. Hofnarr

Hofnarr Member

Yes, and as I specified, my problem isn't with snip quoting, it's with changing the actual wording of somebody's post.

True, and I'm all for comedy.

Nice!

In any case, I don't want to interrupt this thread more than I already have. I guess the issue just bothers me on a fundamental level, and I felt compelled to vent about it. That's all for me ... if I do post here again, it will have to do with SA's new pedal.

10. MitchMarkerink

MitchMarkerink Member

I actually sold my Wahoo past weekend, to pre pre fund the C4. Wahoo is a great tool, but by great I also mean footprint...

11. CrashC317

CrashC317 Member

Considerations for competition goes without saying. I specifically referenced it with my comments that the Filter pedal with special filter features, the app, and community presets would still rise above any of the competition in this arena of price and size.

This is where proper, scientifically-approached customer feedback surveys would be useful. That's the only way to get an accurate view of how comparative feature sets will sell. Combine that with internal lessons learned from the TS/Ventris vs. Lunar/Mercury models. Combine it with unit sales gleaned from competitors.

This thread is the opposite of proper, scientifically-approached customer feedback surveys. It's dominated by regulars -- power-users clamoring for yet more features with zero consideration for how it'd impact sales. The other half is people confused by two products doing the same thing. Thank God Roger is a genius at filtering out the noise, keeping the locals feeling warm and fuzzy, while still cranking out top-shelf products.

FWIW, you're one of the few people in this thread I'd guess has marketed more than their kid's girl scout cookies. The power users don't seem to get that they aren't normal AND they have zero marketing experience. They don't seem to get that sometimes a simpler product sells more to simpler customers. In reality their opinions, devoid of the reality of a sales floor, are about as useful as a comment card at Arby's. They should stick to calling out new feature ideas, telling their friends about SA, and creating presets SA can't afford to create internally.

12. fitzo

fitzo Greybeard Silver Supporting Member

Reception of even good ideas is frequently sabotaged by the delivery.

frisco, gibs5000 and Hofnarr like this.
  13. jquanmusic

jquanmusic Member

14. Hofnarr

Hofnarr Member

From now on, we all need to take a proper, scientific approach.

Perhaps many of us didn't realize that this is what was expected, but now that it's been made crystal clear, with no room for interpretation, we no longer have any excuses for continuing in our frivolity.

15. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

There’s not much left of that poor horse to beat

[​IMG]

16. CrashC317

CrashC317 Member

I don't want to hear about dead horses when I'm getting alerts and posts calling me by name, along with snarky, hypocritical comments by Marty and Ammon who were fueling the discussion with insults and pointless drama about dumb quote brackets. *gasp* The horror! Give me a break.

Suck it up. It's an internet forum.

17. jquanmusic

jquanmusic Member

If you don't want to hear about dead horses I suggest you stop beating the crap out of them.

ChrisVereb and gibs5000 like this.
  18. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

While I was in the middle of my career at Analog Devices, I became one of the company experts at "Concept Engineering", which was pioneered by a visiting Japanese professor at MIT in the 1980s. This is the fuzzy-front and of product development where features and product ideas are formed. One of the key aspects of "CE" is the identification and engagement with a group of "Lead Users" whose needs tend for foreshadow the rest of the market. During this period I also studied the technology adoption curve called "Crossing the Chasm" by Geoffrey Moore, that explores why some technologies catch on and others do not. I see this community as a place where we can engage openly and effectively with lead users and brainstorm about the future of effect pedals. Yes, there is some sorting, filtering, and course correction that is essential to the process so that the technology we noodle on here can have a chance to "cross the chasm" and become adopted more broadly. One thing is for sure. Developing products in isolation is super high risk, especially when the product development team is comprised of people who are very comfortable with complexity!

19. bigEbeer

bigEbeer Member

[​IMG]

So how about those pedals?

vbrans, HipUncle, LionVerse and 2 others like this.
  20. Flip362

Flip362 Member

You might want to fix the spelling?

I had to go back to the very beginning because I was getting confused about the point of this thread. This is a place where we could make suggestions that would improve a product. Where we could say what was important to us or not about the c4 project.

We obviously don’t actually get to make any decisions about the end project. That is all on Roger and the SA gentlemen. We are all obviously going to try to ask for features that we would want as power users or regular joes. That’s part of being human. If someone asks me for what I would want in a pedal, I’m going to tell them. If they can make it that way amazing, if not, then oh well. My job is to vote with my $$$. Do I buy the pedal or not. I don’t really care is Gibs doesn’t like it or if Ammon likes it or not. What matters is if I like it (to me).

As a young professional, especially as a musician and a teacher, if I have ever learned anything it is that you cannot please everyone. However you can do something most people will like and still take a lot of crap for it.

I already understand that I am a living advertisement for SA. I am not an average Joe. I want this pedal to be deep enough for me, but also simple enough for everyone else... I care more about me though... #selfishhuman

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019