Source Audio Kingmaker Problem

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Gonkboy, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Gonkboy

Gonkboy Member

I bought a SA Kingmaker recently and everything was working fine. I saved some sounds then I put it on my pedalboard, ready for practice on Thursday and a show on Saturday.

Today I decided to upgrade the firmware, so I downloaded the Neuro app on my Mac and updated the pedal. It seemed to go fine.
    But then I hooked up my guitar to my rig, put the Kingmaker back on my board, and the Kingmaker wasn't working. The clean signal goes through fine, but when I turn it on and off there is no difference in sound. It's as if the effect is not working at all.
    I have used the app on my phone to try a factory reset, but nothing changed. Still just the clean signal and no effect.

Has anyone else experienced this? If this had been at a show, I would be up poop creek without a paddle/pedal.

2. Gonkboy

Gonkboy Member

Update

I went back to the Neuro app updated the hardware again, and it started working again. Hooray!
    So, I started loading in my presets for practice on Thursday. Everything was going well. I was checking everything was working fine from output 1 and output 2. Everything was fine.
    So then I saved all the presets, unplugged the power, plugged it back in to double check annnnddddd

nothing out of output 2.

Thinking of going back to my muff so I don't have to deal with the stress.

strang likes this.
  3. Gonkboy

Gonkboy Member

I thought I would continue the story of my experiences with the Kingmaker.

I got it working again, heaven knows how. Updating again, trying to save presets, hoping it won't brick it again...

I would not recommend this pedal to anyone. The idea is good, but in practical applications it is not up to an acceptable level.

Here's some more problems I'm having:

The app doesn't work sometimes. I just tried to send a community preset to the pedal and.... nothing. Womp womp! Jokes on me (again).

So I go back to the online manual. The app is totally different. In the app there are community presets. I want to check the controls/settings for the presets before I send them to the pedal, but I can't.
    So I go back to my own presets to check their controls/setting, and surprise. I can't see their settings either.

At this point it's like someone is playing a cruel joke on me.

4. fitzo

fitzo Greybeard Silver Supporting Member

How are you powering it?

Gonkboy likes this.
  5. jquanmusic

jquanmusic Member

Gonkboy likes this.
  6. Gonkboy

Gonkboy Member

Fitzo - i'm powering it with a Strymon power supply.

Jquanmusic - I hope so. It's disappointing seeing them post on other threads but not on here.

7. fitzo

I have had problems with my Kingmaker twice. Both times it has been my Strymon Zuma and the way it powers up all the pedals at once. Sort of bizarre and hard to imagine, what with all that current, but true. It causes some kind of boot error.
    I recommend that before you just blow it off to try it with the supplied wall wart. It might not work out for you logistically, but if it does work on that standalone supply, you'll at least get to see what the pedal is like when it's right.
    Another point is, if it doesn't power properly, it can f with the comms with the Mac app, too.

It's a fun pedal when it's working, frustrating when it's not, I agree. Try that other power supply just for grins. You might be surprised like I was. Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Gonkboy and jamester like this.
  8. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

I've been having some strange issues revolving around my SA Vertigo, and the one constant is my Zuma power supply.

Still investigating, but I just came to this realization earlier and now I see this thread...

Gonkboy likes this.
  9. Gonkboy

Gonkboy Member

Hi Fitzo,

Thanks for the reply and info. Your kind and understanding tone is appreciated. I will try it with the provided wall wart.

Logistically, long term, that probably won't be what I'm looking for. You mentioned that though. Maybe we've been through some of the same experiences with the pedal. :)

fitzo likes this.
  10. fitzo

I have a Vertigo, a Nemesis, and a Ventris all running off the Zuma on the same board that the Kingmaker has issues. There has never been a startup issue with any of those three, just the Kingmaker. After discovering the problem, I ran it off a wall wart for a few months. I went back to the Zuma and within a week it was having the screwy behavior again. Back to wall wart, happy as a lark and it's been that way since. Go figure.

Personal opinion with absolutely no sound knowledge to say it :), I think that once in a while their hardware has an issue with the start up execution, and it is due to having power requirements for proper booting that are at the high end of normal engineering tolerances and greater than what the other pedals require. Isolated or not, these multi-supplies have some switching delays, sag, whatever the hell the electro-nerds would call it that a single wall wart doesn't.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    jamester, rsmith601 and Gonkboy like this.
  11. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

The switch mode power supplies coming out lately (namely zuma) slowly ramp up there power, the DSP in the small box pedals expect to see all there power at once, thus causing a boot error. We may have a possible solution via firmware, but we still have to go back and fix this for all the one series small box pedals. The supplied adapter, or a different power supply would be your best bet in the meantime.

12. fitzo

Gonkboy, you're welcome. Having been there and pulled hair out over it, I sympathized immediately.
    I hope that power supply is your answer. If it isn't, send it back. It's not every SA pedal that has the issue.
    And, it is a very fine pedal when it's working right. Great fuzzes, and the parametric eq and noise gate makes 'em all the better.

Gonkboy likes this.
  13. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

I jump in on things where I know the correct response. I am best with new pedals where I am very actively involved with Jesse on the feature set and how it all works. As the pedals get released, I kind of forget lots of things. That is why it is so awesome to have @Gibs210 @npappas @theluckyjackson as well as long term SA users like @LionVerse and @fitzo to help me do a better job at all of this. Right now I am hyper-focused on the EQ2 feature set, NAMM, and keeping Source Audio running day in and day out. If I am quiet on certain matters.....that is why!

LionVerse, fitzo and jquanmusic like this.
  14. Gonkboy

Gonkboy Member

Here's a question for you:

When using the mobile Neuro app is it possible to view the settings for each preset?
    I know it is possible in the desktop app, but I can't see it in the mobile app.

15. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

The Neuro Mobile App is ONE WAY COMMUNICATION. There is no ability to read back from the pedal. It is like a remote control on a TV set. The only way to read back from the pedal is with the Neuro Desktop.

Gonkboy likes this.
  16. Gonkboy

Gonkboy Member

Okay.
    What about the community presets or presets saved in my library. Is there any way to look at the presets before i send them to the pedal?

17. fitzo

I don’t use the mobile but have it loaded on an iPad.
    When “Browse” is selected off the first screen, a new screen comes up where Library, Factory, etc, can be chosen.
    I see icons and names come up. Took me a moment to figure out, but drag left from the right side and a menu appears with edit, burn, etc. You then get the edit screens for those presets. Sneaky little sucker. :)
    You see any of that?

Gonkboy likes this.
  18. Gonkboy

Gonkboy Member

Fitzo - I do see it. Brilliant!
    You're a real star. Thanks for taking the time to help me.

fitzo likes this.
  19. LionVerse

LionVerse Supporting Member

Swipe left on the community preset in the list and hit the edit button :aok

Dang @fitzo beat me to it... :cool:

fitzo likes this.
  20. fitzo

You’re most welcome. It is my pleasure. SA stuff comes with a learning curve; but it’s all been worth it, for me at least.
    Hope you can get the other issue fixed with the wall wart.
    Please post, success or fail.

Gonkboy likes this.