Source Audio Nemesis vs Strymon El Capistan

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BintyTwanger77, Feb 27, 2016.

1. BintyTwanger77

BintyTwanger77 Member

I've copied & pasted this from my comment in another thread of fandom for one of these delays: thought it would be obviously less biased taking it away from that thread...

I have space on my other Nano+ board and I was thinking either a Nemesis or an El Capistan. On the board already I have

Dr Scientist Cleanness>Rat 2>Red Panda Particle>free space>Neunaber Stereo Wet (to which I'll probably add an ExP at some point). All will be powered by an MXR Brick velcro'd underneath.

So how would you fill the space: El Capistan or Nemesis, and why?

Thanks all.

2. Eliguitar

Eliguitar Member

It really depends on your needs. The El Cap has been my main delay for a few years and I got a Nemesis last December. The Nemesis has a lot more options and great sounding delays, presets, etc
    The El Cap can save 1 preset with favorite switch and it's just a tape sound.
    I've been using the nemesis on most of my gigs since I got it. It's great to have all the different delay types and presets in a smal enclosure. However, for straight tape sounds I think the El Cap sounds better. It also has a spring reverb that can add some depth.

You can't really go wrong with either. Just figure you what your needs are and pick the one that will cover most of them.

3. dickjonesify

dickjonesify Member

Exact same experience. Do you only need a great, lush tape delay with a little spring? Or do you want more?

Needing more than two settings was the ONLY thing that made me keep looking for delays. The El Capistan is pretty amazing. The Nemesis is taking care of business, though.

Eliguitar likes this.
  4. BobFostec

BobFostec Member

how is the multi head on the nemesis compared to the el cap ?

5. deadlands

deadlands Member

It's trickier in the sense that you have to set up your multi-head timings and the app is necessary to get it set up if you run mono. but you get so much more flexibility with the Nemesis. You choice the timing, level and whether or not feedback is taken from the second head.

I'd say it's not clear whether the El Cap sounds better to me. In many ways I prefer the Nemesis tape sounds. i struggled to get my El Cap to sit right in the mix, it felt like the first repeat was always a little soft, but the Nemesis seems to have a wider area where the first repeat is nice and prominent. You also get a fantastic modulation section on each tape mode where you can set time modulation AND wow and flutter. It can do infinite-ish repeats before oscillation much better than any delay I've played. So many cool things the Nemesis can do and most importantly it sounds really good.

These are just some things and the extensive expression and control options that have me enjoying the Nemesis more than my El Cap.

6. panosy

panosy Member

also interested about that, any opinions? Mainly I am interested in the addition of the reverse and 2-3 presets easily available.. Though the nemesis has some other very interesting sounds too.. But how is the actual quality of the algorithms? And how does it sit in a real-life gig?

7. panosy

panosy Member

Also the modulation on the demos didn't sound so great to me, any comments on that? Then again I still have in mind the Diamond Memory Lane modulation.. why did I ever sell that pedal..

8. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

the audio quality is fantastic. I grabbed the Nemesis on a whim and i've been thrilled with each of the algorithms. Using the app gives full control over all of them, which i love, and allows me to create delay sounds i could only dream of in the past. The reverse sounds really really good- my favorite reverse delay was the Line 6 Echo Park set to tape and the Nemesis blew that out of the water for me. Multi-tap reverse is a lot of fun to mess with as well :)

i've loved the modulation so far, but keep in mind you can tweak it even more to your liking within the app. Every delay engine is customizable and you can add different modulation types to delays that wouldn't normally have it (i.e. adding tape 'wow and flutter' to a digital delay, or adding flanger to a tape delay, etc).

Speaking to the thread in general, and having owned both pedals in question i'll also echo @Eliguitar and @dickjonesify... it really depends on what you need. The El Cap sounds fantastic, but i ended up selling it because i spent tons of time tweaking and finding sounds i loved, but had no way of saving more than 2 (pedal settings and favorite switch). With the Nemesis i actually prefer the tape sounds a bit more (YMMV) and having the ability to set and recall multiple presets is a big win for me. I also love that i've been able to get every other delay sound that i love out of the pedal (recreated the DD5 bright repeats for my .8th stuff, someone made a stellar DMM preset in the app, and the previously mentioned reverse delay stuff). The cherry on top for me was really the way the Source Audio guys have been interacting with the customers, sending out software updates (1 so far, with plans for more, including additional delay engines beyond the initial 24), and how they've taken user input into play with app and pedal development. Strymon makes absolutely top-notch gear (i've got a Flint on my board) but the Source Audio wins out for me.

All that to say, i really think you'd be happy with either of them, so long as you pick the one that fits your needs the best. :cheers

hdahs143 and Ivo like this.