Source Audio Pedals/Hub/Reflex Question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BuckshotJenkins, Apr 15, 2016.

1. BuckshotJenkins

BuckshotJenkins Silver Supporting Member

I have a quick question for the Source Audio folks or those who, like me, have a few of their great pedals. I'm really looking forward to buying the Sole Mate, the Neuro Hub and a Reflex controller to go along with my Vertigo Tremolo, Nemesis Delay and my Mercury Flanger. I know that through the Hub approximately 128 sounds can be programmed to be recalled by MIDI. My question is: since the Mercury can share sounds from the phaser and the chorus, is there a real reason to buy another pedal if the one can be used to produce 128 sounds?

I'm pretty sure I want the Lunar Phaser anyway, but with the exciting possibility of the Reflex pedal controlling the three I already have, it seems like that would be the perfect number to have set up on a pedalboard.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

There are 2 reasons why one might want to have 2 different One Series modulators on your board at one time. 1) in some cases the top level knobs are labeled slightly different. I think this impacts the Gemini and the Aftershock only. 2) if you want to stack the modulators. The distortions support internal stacking when in mono.

The Hub allows expression control of all parameters on all connected pedals via one single simple expression pedal.

The Hub is a really simple and powerful way to create a really smart pedal board!

Anacharsis likes this.
  3. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

How necessary do you feel the reflex is when using the hub? I was pretty set on getting the reflex in the future, but it seems that SA is taking over my board to the point that the only expression pedal compatible effects I'd have, would all be SA pedals. So using the hub would seem to mitigate the need of the reflex to me, unless I'd use other brands where the multiple expression jacks and presets would be useful on the reflex. Make sense?

4. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

Others can comment, but Reflex is more about controlling non SA pedals, or creating complex control waveforms, etc. For run of the mill expression control of a group of SA pedals, Hub seems right to me.

gibs5000 likes this.
  5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The Hub isn't able to store "engines" for the pedals, though, right? So if you want a total of more than 6 sounds on an individual type of effect (phase/flange/chorus for example) you'd need to have two pedals to have access to 12 engines, two at any given time?

6. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

If you only had a Hub and a Lunar, you could have 128 modulation effects. Think of it as an Orbital Modulator with 128 presets. The Hub does not care about toggle switches.

It it were me, I would have one one modulator, one Vertigo, one dirt, one delay, one reverb, and one envelope filter, Hub, exp pedal, and a simple midi footswitche. Small and powerful!

7. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

That's real close to what I'm planning on doing!

8. aman74

aman74 Member

If buying one One Series mod pedal I thought the Gemini would actually be the easiest to manage using to control other effects as it has depth and mix? What would you suggest?

9. aman74

aman74 Member

I'm confused...how does the Hub work as an expression pedal? Or you're saying just use any ordinary expression pedal with it?

Any way to use a reflex to send an LFO to basically make a trem effect?

I have a Reflex, but haven't used it yet and wondering if I'm gonna really need it as my other mod may end up being Source Audio as well.

Off topic...multiwave pro isn't Hub compatible, but Soundblox2 version is correct?

10. theluckyjackson

theluckyjackson Silver Supporting Member

Regarding your first question, yes, I would recommend the Gemini Chorus to handle your Phaser and Flanger duties - I think the Gemini's control panel has the most universally useful set of controls. The only thing you'll want to do is make sure that you set the DELAY times in the Neuro App for the Flanger effects to a position that sounds good to you.

You can connect an expression pedal to the Hub and use it to control the expression duties of all the Soundblox 2 and One Series pedals connected to the Hub.

You can send LFO signals with the Reflex, but it depends which pedal you're using as to whether or not you can create a tremolo effect with it. If there is a OUTPUT control on the pedal, than yes, you could create a tremolo effect. FYI, none of the One Series Modulation pedals have a knob assigned to OUTPUT, but you can create a tremolo effect in the Neuro App with any of the Modulation pedals and assign a normal expression signal to the SPEED knob. There is an OUTPUT control on the Soundblox 2 Multiwave Distortion ( I noticed that you were thinking about that pedal as well), so you would be able to create a tremolo effect with a Reflex LFO and the Multiwave.

Here is a clip I created using the Mercury Flanger as a tremolo:

It certainly won't be a bad thing to use a Reflex. As you mentioned earlier, it's nice to be able to send LFO messages. And if you ever add another non-Source Audio pedal that has and expression input - you'll have it covered. But to your point, for straight expression control of the Source Audio pedals, you'll only need to send a single expression cable to the Hub to control all the connected Soundblox 2 and One Series pedals.

Correct.

aman74 likes this.