Source Audio Reflex expression pedal. Anyone own one?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jguss, Mar 11, 2016.

1. jguss

jguss Member

I'm looking at the Source Audio Reflex as an alternative to the Mission Expressionator. I'd like to be able to control other pedals separately and have the Reflex retain the last value for the treadle after I've switched to controlling a new pedal. The demo I've seen shows the Reflex simultaneously controlling a few pedals at once, but doesn't make it clear whether I can provide individual control over other connected pedals while keeping those pedals active. The problem, of course is that what you do for one, you do to them all. I know there is some level of programmability and preset recall, but not sure how that's done, unless it's through midi, which means I need a midi controller to control my expression pedal. It's possible to do this, but an Expressionator just seems a little bit cleaner. Thoughts?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  2. jguss

jguss Member

3. playguitar6789

playguitar6789 Supporting Member

I'm interested in this as well...

4. LionVerse

LionVerse Silver Supporting Member

5. Ruiner

Ruiner Member

The Reflex is midi capable and i THINK what you're asking can be done but i'm not going to say with certainty so we'll let @rsmith601 answer that.

6. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

Sorry. Too many threads on TGP and TalkBass this weekend!

Yes, so Reflex can do this. You basically need to set up presets where certain things are active and certain things are not. When you change presets, the output can hold the last value for the output which is no longer active. Changing presets can be done manually via the knob and select button, but sending a MIDI PC message is the cleanest for live performance.

Hope this helps!

7. vbrans

vbrans Member

I've had both. The Reflex can do anything the Expressionator does and much more.

gibs5000 likes this.
  8. ttk

ttk Member

hello @rsmith601 ,

How is it possible to edit the user waveform with the Reflex?
    Is there any software available? even a beta version?

Thanks, I am eagerly waiting for this and I think I am not the only one, am I?

9. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

The Reflex economics are very poor for us. It was expensive to create and we cannot sell enough to justify investing more money into the product. There is a reason it's such a unique and awesome product with no competition: other companies figured out it's not economical viable.
    We have stopped shipping them to international distributors. When the current stock is sold, there will be no more.
    Our engineering team really wanted to do this product. I said OK, because I want Source Audio to be an engineering driven company and not a marketing driven company. On Ventris Nemesis and some other products, this strategy has worked well. On Reflex, it did not.

FbIsNotE and Imerkat like this.
  10. ttk

ttk Member

I understand,

But I thought maybe the software part was ready already?

11. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

The software would require another investment of $5K to $10K. If we could ship it easily, we would do that for sure!

12. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

I’m hopeful that one day SA will have the time and resources to at least give the reflex owners an editor like was planned originally. One of my early ideas for the reflex was to use the custom tapers to create a pattern trem type sound for my vertigo (think goatkeeper), as the trance trem only has one pattern on it. I could use the reflex to control the vertigos volume to bypass the LFO and then create the time fluctuations with the reflex. Maybe SA can create additional trance trem engines with different patterns in the future?

Meantime, I’m gonna mod mine and replace the mute switch with a TRS footswitch, then connect it to my soleman and program it to bypass pedals via CC, so I can create a wah type on/off switching scheme. While I’m thinking of it, @theluckyjackson have you guys ever played around with the one series pedals parametric eq and frequencies to create a pseudo wah? Thinking the reflex plus my mod would make this doable for sure, just haven’t experimented with it enough to find any real good wah sounds.

vbrans likes this.
  13. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

90% of the time I want to be engineering driven. I also need to be sure we stay around. Many great companies killed themselves with innovation that only a few people paid money for.

We have some ideas for how to create a Reflex-like product in the future. Too early to share!

oscarzoso, vbrans, LSMFT6 and 3 others like this.
  14. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

So what your saying is maybe 5 years down the road I’ll be replacing my reflex :)

vbrans likes this.
  15. FbIsNotE

FbIsNotE Member

I know it caused you great pain and so I'm here to say "Thank you!" to you and the team once again for taking the risk and making the Reflex. I know it's not much, but hopefully it will go a little way to taking the sting out of the experience. Reflex makes my board possible!

I will be first in line to buy whatever this new attempt you are hinting at is.

ubenjammin2, ttk, 4b454e and 2 others like this.
  16. 4b454e

4b454e Supporting Member

Whose mod?! :bounce
    Kidding, yours is different...enough :beer

Have you tried sweeping the voice parameters on whichever drive box you have to try to get a wah effect?

17. Sloppyslim

Sloppyslim Member

open source it ?

18. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

It would be faster for us to create it ourselves. Someone would need to document everything for this to work. Nice idea, however!

19. guy8string

guy8string Supporting Member

Dang. I just discovered this pedal—realized I needed it—and now it’s gone. Maybe I am in the minority (based upon your market analysis), but I would have paid more than your asking price for an expression controller this useful.

FbIsNotE likes this.
  20. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

They still have some available.

https://www.sourceaudiostore.net

LSMFT6 likes this.