Source for 1/4" PLAIN maple big enough to use for guitar face?

Dave Locher

Where is a good source for a 1/4" thick piece of plain maple at least 14x18"?

I am a newb! I have built exactly one guitar from scratch, with my woodworker brother-in-law's help. It came out pretty good. I'm getting ready to build a body using construction similar to a Telecaster Thinline. I want to use maple for the top and maybe for the back as well. I'm thinking 1/4" thick. I want plain maple because I plan to paint the guitar.
For my first guitar I bought a flamed maple board and we sliced and bookmatched and planed down to 1/4" it but that was a pain I'd prefer to skip for this one since I'm just going to paint it once it's all together. When I look online all I see is flamed and quilted maple. I just want some straight, dry, boring plain maple!

Dave Weir

Platinum Supporting Member
It’s not a thickness most lumberyards would stock. I think for most wood workers thicknessing is pretty normal and not a big deal. But some of the lumberyards have equipment and and will plane it for you.
American Specialty Hardwood let’s me custom order sizes not on the website.
laura@americanspecialtyhardwoods.com
Home Depot sells 1/4” maple, but it’s not very wide, maybe 6” or so.

Dave Locher

Thanks!
Am I better off buying a 14" wide piece of maple and shaving it down to 1/4", or buying 1/4" thick maple and joining it to get the width I need for the top?
My BIL knows woodworking well but he builds furniture and knows zero about guitars. I do not know if one-piece vs two-piece would make a difference on a semi-hollow electric?

Dave Weir

Platinum Supporting Member
I think you are going to have trouble finding 14" wide Maple. Especially anything close to 1/4".
I'd say if you can find something 7" wide 1/4" thick and join it that would be your best bet.
The most efficient thing would be find some 3/4" and resaw and plane to 1/4".
Most acoustic guitars or solid bodies with Maple tops are two piece.
This was some 3/4" Lacewood that we resawed and book matched.

sondich

Hi Dave,

We just milled some solid 7/16” x 14” Maple. From a paint perspective, not having a glue line helps. However, from a construction perspective, a 2 pc top is more likely to lay flatter
Ymmv

antvas1963

I think you are going to have trouble finding 14" wide Maple. Especially anything close to 1/4".
I'd say if you can find something 7" wide 1/4" thick and join it that would be your best bet.
The most efficient thing would be find some 3/4" and resaw and plane to 1/4".
Most acoustic guitars or solid bodies with Maple tops are two piece.
This was some 3/4" Lacewood that we resawed and book matched.
Wow, that top is beautiful!

Trending Topics