source for 80's chinese 12AX7 ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dazco, Feb 29, 2012.

1. dazco

dazco Member

Anyone know where i can get some NOS (NEW old stock, not used but test well) chinese 12AX&'s from the 80's era? These are the chinese with the square foil getter.

2. Tonesmiths

Tonesmiths Member

Shuguang still makes those. Thetubestore.com has them

3. psychodave

psychodave Senior Member

just42dave on Rigt-Talk usually has some.

I love the specific square getter Chinese preamp tubes. I have around 50 of them :dude They sell for a premium since people know they (generally) sound better than the C9's.

4. dazco

dazco Member

Thanks. "just42dave on Rigt-Talk" ? Is this a forum member or does he have a ebay store or what?
    Whats crazy is i've been using them since the 80's and nothing else i try seems as good to me. Yet until they stopped making them and they became hard to find, people always said they are crap ! Literally just about every time i saw them mentioned it was in a bad light, and i could never understand that because i always felt they were the best. now that they're scarce and "NOS", it seems people now think they are the holy grail ! LOL!

I still have a dozen or so, but they are all used and i want a new set to use to A/B test my old ones so i can see when they are worn to the point of tone loss.

5. psychodave

psychodave Senior Member

Rig-talk.com Forum member just42dave. He usually has some. I have 100's of NOS tubes and I still rank the C8's (square foil getter) as some of the best. I think they sell for $15-$20 a pop these days.

6. dazco

dazco Member

Ok, well anyone know of a online retailer with them?