• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Source for Schaller strap lock nuts?

buddastrat

This oddball size nut is driving me nuts, I posted this here before but no one knew. It's also used on many import guitar jack repairs. I am looking for this size nut. I've tried so many metric and US sizes. I've finally figured out that it seems to be same size as the Schaller strap lock, nut size, the hex nut that holds the piece on the strap. So a clue to the puzzle.

Sellers on ebay are asking ridiculous prices because these are hard to find.

Anyone have a lead or a size for me to go by?

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
allparts has the nut & washer set, but it's kinda pricey.

and yeah, those schaller lock nuts are in a bizarrely exotic size, nothing else ever fits.

whoismarykelly

Oh look! This is a thing I can change!
Another good reason to switch to Dunlop Dual Design locks.
Im sure you have more experience than I on this subject but I find the quality of the Schaller part and design, down to the screws included with the buttons, to be vastly superior to the Dunlop. I have had the low quality screw on the Dunlop snap off on multiple occasions before I switched to Schaller on everything. Im also more confident in the combination lock/U channel system of the Schaller compared to the tiny ball-bearing system of the Dunlop. The battle between the two designs seems to be unending though. I do prefer the strap mount clip design of the Dunlop a little over the nut system of the schaller but I've honestly never had the nut come loose on my Schaller-equipped straps.

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
I stock the Allparts even though they are more than you'd like to pay. Actually, about 12 years ago I figured out that a cool strap was the same price as a set of straplocks, so I just started semi-permanently bolting a strap with a big washer to my guitars.

buddastrat

Not really even about strap locks. I need this hex nut for a lot of cheap jacks on the import guitars. I can never fix the jack for a customer and have to change a whole jack, and then they'll think I'm overcharging them or something. Over a dumb nut.

whoismarykelly

Not really even about strap locks. I need this hex nut for a lot of cheap jacks on the import guitars. I can never fix the jack for a customer and have to change a whole jack, and then they'll think I'm overcharging them or something. Over a dumb nut.
How much do you charge for removing two screws, unsoldering two wires, and then dropping a new high quality $1 Switchcraft jack into a guitar? I would replace the part in every single case and it would probably only be a $10 job max. If the customer complains tell them to not lose their parts next time. Obviously you cant say that but this isn't exactly a high dollar job.

buddastrat

How much do you charge for removing two screws, unsoldering two wires, and then dropping a new high quality $1 Switchcraft jack into a guitar? I would replace the part in every single case and it would probably only be a $10 job max. If the customer complains tell them to not lose their parts next time. Obviously you cant say that but this isn't exactly a high dollar job.
That's what I'm saying. Think of it from a customer's POV, they know all that's needed is a nut, and even tho' I explain, and charge a few bucks for my time/parts They will question. Because it is pretty hard for them to believe I can't just put on a simple, ordinary hex nut. Much easier to put the nut on, while they wait and they are happy and come back.

BTW, telling them if they don't like, to not lose the part, would be a way to lose a customer. Nobody wants to lose that. Shi# happens, be nice.

I'll buy some of those to have on hand. Thanks for those links guys.

whoismarykelly

That's what I'm saying. Think of it from a customer's POV, they know all that's needed is a nut, and even tho' I explain, and charge a few bucks for my time/parts They will question. Because it is pretty hard for them to believe I can't just put on a simple, ordinary hex nut. Much easier to put the nut on, while they wait and they are happy and come back.

BTW, telling them if they don't like, to not lose the part, would be a way to lose a customer. Nobody wants to lose that. Shi# happens, be nice.

I'll buy some of those to have on hand. Thanks for those links guys.
Like I said I obviously wouldn't tell the customer to not lose their parts next time but as a customer I know that Ill have to pay for repair/replacement if I lose parts to my guitar. Getting the customer to buy into the idea of the better part would just be standard for me rather than pursuing a specialty part for the purpose of providing a 25 cent repair instead of a $10 one. Those import jacks are so cheap you could probably buy them in bulk just to get the nuts off of them.

walterw

I've never known the schaller nuts to fit import jacks, the jacks are usually well smaller.

I've accumulated a few drawers full of random import nuts, all of which seem to be different from each other, much less the schaller stuff.

A few seconds of rifling through there saves the day often enough.

Also, most of these cheap jacks tend to have a second nut behind the jack plate; you can just steal that one and use it in front.

Last edited:

Terry McInturff

40th Anniversary of guitar building!
Im sure you have more experience than I on this subject but I find the quality of the Schaller part and design, down to the screws included with the buttons, to be vastly superior to the Dunlop. I have had the low quality screw on the Dunlop snap off on multiple occasions before I switched to Schaller on everything. Im also more confident in the combination lock/U channel system of the Schaller compared to the tiny ball-bearing system of the Dunlop. The battle between the two designs seems to be unending though. I do prefer the strap mount clip design of the Dunlop a little over the nut system of the schaller but I've honestly never had the nut come loose on my Schaller-equipped straps.

I respect your experience 100%! My experience differs; Ive dropped guitars with the Schaller (Im pretty active at times) but never ever with the Dunlop. Ive never broken a Dunlop screw. Ive installed Dual Designs on over 3600 TCM's, no breaks, and they have been good on all my stage guitars since 1995, that is many many shows. My objection to the Dunlops is that they can get squeeky and need a little lube once in awhile. But in my experience, they are very safe.

It is possible that the modern screws from Dunlop have changed; Im currently working on a bag of 2000 that I got some years back.

walterw

the dunlops bug me mostly because they make the strap hang so far out from the body.

the design certainly seems sound, especially the way they can't come unscrewed from the strap the way schallers all too often can if you don't loc-tite that nut upon installation.

buddastrat

Like I said I obviously wouldn't tell the customer to not lose their parts next time but as a customer I know that Ill have to pay for repair/replacement if I lose parts to my guitar. Getting the customer to buy into the idea of the better part would just be standard for me rather than pursuing a specialty part for the purpose of providing a 25 cent repair instead of a $10 one. Those import jacks are so cheap you could probably buy them in bulk just to get the nuts off of them.
LOL. It's not like all import jacks use the same nuts. I'd have no idea which ones.. That would not be smart to order a bunch of jacks and hope I can use the nut!

I like things simple and easy. I ordered some of those nuts that Tonemeister linked too. Problem solved, I'll be able to fix students guitars fast and get on with business. Instead of having to change the jack and charge them when it's a cheap guitar. Even the cheap jacks work for years. Plus, now I have nuts for Schaller locks for some customers. Simple, and smart. Thank you tonemeister!

walterw

you wanna find a busy shop, the tech will have buckets full of 'em, if you have the jack with you they can probably find one that fits; otherwise good luck, they're all annoyingly different from each other.

(and i just checked this today, schaller straplock nuts aren't even close to any of them, that's a blind alley. most import jack nuts won't even fit over the little plunger knob, much less thread onto the straplock.)

if you're at the point of trying to order something to ship, just buy a proper switchcraft #11 jack for two bucks and put that in instead, it's a significant reliability upgrade.

Weldaar

Get yourself some Locktite thread locker (the blue one) apply some to the nut and it will never come off unless you really want it to.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom