source for yellow astron caps?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by brad347, May 17, 2006.

1. brad347

brad347 Member

You guys will probably wince at this one but I finally had a .02uf coupling cap start leaking DC in my '61 super.

I loved the tone of this amp so I want to put another yellow astron in. Please don't think i'm stupid! Anyone know of a source for NOS/UOS paper/oil caps (astron preferred)?

2. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

Not stupid at all but why not try a Mallory 150 and see if you can tell the difference.It can't hurt.I'll see if I have an Astron pull laying around while your trying.

3. brad347

brad347 Member

Thanks. I was debating whether to try a mallory 150 as you suggest, or spring for the Jensen paper-in-oil cap. Those are kinda pricey at around 10 bucks apiece though. Thanks for looking for me... if you have a good pull i'll gladly pay you for it, just name yr price.

4. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

Checked it out and all I have left are .05uf Astrons.I'd try a Mallory 150 and see what you think.

5. brad347

brad347 Member

Okay. In the meantime another guy from another message board offered to send me a NOS soviet paper/oil cap in the correct value so I'll try that and the 150 and see which I like better.

Thanks for looking

bw

6. TNO

TNO Member

The Mallory 150s are good but the Sozos are noticeably clearer-sounding.

7. redtoploader

redtoploader Member

I have .047's but no .02s.