Soursound - Custom amp for Isaac Brock of Modest Mouse (*lots of pics*)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by infiniteposse, May 22, 2008.

1. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

So a friend of mine in Portland, Bryan Sours, has been building amps for a number of years now and has really come into his own. His latest creation is a MKII of an amp he built some time ago for Isaac Brock of Modest Mouse. Isaac's been touring with the MKI version of the amp, which was loosely based on a Fender Super Six, but then Bryan's design moved away from that and really became it's own amp.

Here's the basic spec's of the amp:

- Tubes - 4x6L6's, 2x12AT7, 3x12AX7
    - 100 watts
    - Fully independent/parallel reverb circuit
    - 4x10 (Weber 10a150's) partial open back cab & 2x10 sealed cab loaded with Weber British Ceramics
    - Fully hand-wired and meticulously finished
    - External bias points on rear of amp
    - At Isaac's request, Bryan used a Brand to burn the Soursound logo into the wood of both this amp and the MKI. Really cool look.

The amp just got finished up today and is then off to Japan for a tour tomorrow. Bryan's amp are basically getting picked up by a lot of local Indie bands at the moment and his build quality is second to none, so I thought you guys might get a kick out of seeing his handiwork.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's Bryan's website if anyone's curious about check out more of his work. He also does repair locally and works on all of my amps. Good people: http://soursound.com/

2. riker4208

riker4208 Member

thanks for the tip....looks like he's really upped his game since leaving old town. His style seemed cramped by that place. Seems like he's grooving now. Time to go talk to him.

3. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

Yeah, his repair work is top notch as well. The shop also has Jeremy doing cabinets in-house (custom work as well as Bryan's amps) and also Brian Watson doing guitar repairs, so they've got the bases covered for sure.

4. 6AM

6AM Supporting Member

Real nice looking amp.

5. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Member

Is Soursound going to build an amp for Johnny Marr too?

6. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

Beauzooka - Nothing specific in the works, but Mr. Marr's certainly come in contact with much of Bryan's handiwork. I do believe Bryan has spoken to him on occasions about the idea, but I'm uncertain about specifics.

Johnny did recently play through a Super Reverb that Bryan overhauled for Isaac and was evidently very impressed with the amp, and this is a man who knows his Super Reverbs... Bryan was stoked:)

7. Blunder

Blunder Supporting Member

Bryan is a good guy. I've been happy with his work as well. Glad to see he is getting more exposure.
    I talked with him a few months ago about a custom amp. I put that idea on the back burner but this thread is starting to make me think about that again.:stir

8. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

Tom: No formal plans for a smaller amp as Bryan is building to order at the moment. He's done some smaller amps though and they sound good. He's not down to any kind of "stock" models though as it's all been custom work.

Pics of the rear as requested:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. thomasf

thomasf Guest

Saw them two nights ago, amp sounded amazing.