South Central Fireworks

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Anthony Gring, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Anthony Gring

Anthony Gring Silver Supporting Member

Mrs. G and I accepted an invitation to visit her good friend in from OKC and her son/ daughter in law in Los Angeles for 4th.
    They live in South Central on 4th St. near Crenshaw / Exposition Blvd.
    Had great BBQ , met neighbors , good times !

Had no idea what was to unfold.

It began around 8 and went past 11.

I call it " Fireworks 360 "

It was every direction and massive.

These were not the Red Devil assortment pack variety.

Serious High Grade Professional Pyrotechnic Explosives.

Never seen anything like it. Our friends said " Like this every year "

A whole lot of people spent a whole lot of money and blew that money up all night !

Hope we get invited back next year !

2. oakfloor

oakfloor Member

Talk about blowing your money..Used to have a guy in my town who would tie a huge M-1000 or something to a helium balloon with a long fuse..would go up a ways and make a one Hella big bang. Scary loud.

84superchamp likes this.
  3. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

My neighbor does this and spends several thousand every year. He’s got it but it’s still a bit vulgar imho.

4. 70 Mach 1

70 Mach 1 Supporting Member

I hate fireworks

Hack Prophet and S. F. Sorrow like this.
  5. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

I would often work at the Angels 4th of July game when it fell during a homestead. Driving home afterwards on the 105 was better than the show at the ballpark.

Okay not really but it was pretty strong. Not that far behind the regular weekly fireworks show at Angels or Dodger games.

The 105 btw was the Speed freeway, for you Sandra Bullock fans.

84superchamp likes this.
  6. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

There is a similar firework but don't know what it's called, one of my sons always brought several to our "private show": they go up on a rocket and then one loud flash and bang (eh, boom), always rattled the windows.

7. harmonicator

harmonicator Member

Residential street fireworks are pretty ridiculous IMO. July 5th, streets look trashed, air quality is that much worse (where I live), great night to get your drive-by's knocked out, pets are psychologically tortured, ugh...fires??? ya think? "Huh huh, uuugh today we get to play with fire!!! Hold my Buuur."

Go to the beach or a lake, let the pros handle it. Or visit a national park, Ft. McHenry or something.

Over-the-hill-and-out :wave

8. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

In case anyone is wondering, fireworks are actually illegal in the city of Los Angeles, which is where the OP was. In some other cities around there, they are legal and can be purchased, usually from the trailers that get set up leading up to the 4th. But I don't think the bigger ones are legal to buy anywhere. There is of course an underground.

Not a law and order post, just the facts. Or, to quote a famous LAPD detective, "just the facts, Ma'am."

9. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

They are in Arizona. When we had the 4th of July air superiority wars in Venice, we'd take a pickup truck down the 10 with a mattress and some boxes in the back, cross the border into AZ, load up the boxes with 3' tall rockets, Roman candles, bricks of Black Cats and a hundred or so M-100s until we found a source for seal bombs aka seal control explosives and cruise back across the border.

If they asked at the agricultural inspection station, we were helping a friend move from AZ to California. Worked every time. Then we'd blow the whole shebang off on the 4th. The LAPD grounded their copters and didn't really patrol the hood. There was a group of vatos about three blocks down who always had a bunch of similar fireworks and they'd light off three rockets, so we'd answer back with four and this went on until midnight. The whole hood would be out in the streets oooing and ahhing and applauding. It was epic...

Baxtercat, gght and chrisr777 like this.
  10. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

We go to the top of a parking garage at a local mall where we can see pretty much the whole Valley. Not as epic this year as last, but still a see of fire.

Peteyvee likes this.
  11. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

Fireworks don't do anything for me but I'm not going to complain about others having fun. Ziggy doesn't seem to be bothered so it's a non issue here.

Back in the day there were "Cherry Bombs" which were pretty powerful and loud. There also was a barrel shaped thing about as powerful as a cherry bomb but you could throw them in the water and they would explode just like their namesake "Depth Charges". I haven't seen either of these around, I wounder if they are so dangerous they banned them?

el capitan likes this.
  12. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Member

One of my brothers has a lake house in NC - some of his neighbors put on an absolutely incredible fireworks show trying to outdo each other.

Peteyvee likes this.
  13. hellbender

hellbender Member

Beavis said it best

14. Jollyb

Jollyb Silver Supporting Member

I usually spend about $100. I have a "source" and get 70% off. This year after the first tube it started a brush fire. Things were really hot and dry.

Scary ****.......we were able to get a hose to it and put it out . Luckily no neighbors saw it. Could have been bad.

Just packed it in. Its rained everyday since .......but I dont want to be that guy blowing stuff up after the 4th.

Had a good kegger but no fireworks this year. Just Fire. Lol.

15. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched

I'm on top of a hill with miles of visibility in a few directions, it's non-stop after dark until early am on the 5th. One of my dogs can't handle it, but at least I have a basement for him to retreat to