Southbay Ampworks Major Crunch - KILLS!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by datguytim, Jul 26, 2008.

1. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Just got back from the Scumback/WCR Tonefest at Tone Merchants, and I am officially RUINED!!!!! Aside from being one of the coolest cats out there (you too Wagner!), the Major Crunch (and lower wattage Captain Crunch) is by far the most killer "Marshall-esqe" amplifier I've heard yet. I can't believe this thing! 3 levels of rich, organic, classic tone that cleans up UNBELIEVABLY with your guitar's volume knob on ANY of the 3 modes. I'm sure the Scumback speakers have something to do with it (none of the crappy shrill artifacts that most of us have had to endure with most celestial types), but you really have to hear & play one of these amps to truly understand what's up here. Even the "10 watt" Captain Crunch 1x12 combo is loud enough to cut most gigs - I went crazy with this one in the blast room for about 15 minutes & walked out a changed man. Then heard the Major Crunch with twice the power - :dude Forget it! Gotta have one!

2. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

the 'bag has that effect on most folks...

3. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I was there when Tim walked out of the testing room. He just kept shaking his head (in a good way) after playing through the capn'

4. da-boogieman

da-boogieman Member

Maybe a year ago, I don't recall, I had just built my latest amp; a Metro JTM45. It sounded great but the Avatar Helltones (?) I was using were not quite there for the tone I was looking for. Since I live near Jim, he invited me to stop over and pick up a pair of his G12H30s. Long story short is he insisted on firing up his Crunch amp, which just happened to be using the same 2 speakers ( a 55 and 75Hz) I was getting. I've never been the same. As good as my Metro amp build was after some Udo tweaks, it was *not* as nice as Jim's amp IMO. It really needs to be heard then it can be appreciated.

I've gone in other directions since then or I'd be Gassing for one myself!

5. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

Some killer, killer sounds can be found in those amps. IHMO, it's all about the Nuke...

:AOK

6. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Wow...The Crunch amps are back!!! HHHHUUUUMMMMMM.......I've been waiting......

7. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

+1
    Jim just happened to bring the crunch to the Thursday night jam at the Crest this week, I told him he had the best tone there, and it wasn't even close. He sounded 10 times better on the stage at Tone Merchants today, great sounding amp.

8. Ricky_Rockhardo

Ricky_Rockhardo Member

Jim is great to deal with and not a bad guitar player, either. I have his 55/75 combo in an Avatar Vintage that kills. Saw him rippin' once with his Fool SG through the Major Crunch and it indeed was very nice.

9. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Wonder how either amp would compare to a Reinhardt 18? For me, so far, that's the "gold standard" of Marshall tone. That is, except for the Bluesbreaker...Louis Electric has that covered. But, curious if anyone that heard the Crunch amps has also heard the Reinhardt 18 and how they compare?

Tom

10. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Tom, I have a client who has both the Reinhardt 18 and a Capt Crunch. The Reinhardt is just a hair louder than the Capt Crunch, maybe 5-10% when both are on full volume with similar speakers.

The Major Crunch is a good 25-35% louder than the Capt Crunch in side by side tests, though, and has a bit more depth to it since it has four power tubes versus the two in the Capt. Crunch.

I've had my amp line sort of on hiatus since going through a couple of local amp repair men who got too busy with their schedules to build them, and due to keeping up with the Scumback business, but I'm ready to get back into building them. I have parts for 9 amps here already, so the only real problem is sectioning off the time to build them. I hope to get started on that in the next few weeks now that some things have settled down in other areas of my life.

I'm glad the amps met with such unbridled enthusiasm yesterday, and I will probably be leaving a Major Crunch and Capt Crunch amp at Tone Merchants if they don't mind, along with a couple of 4x12 cabs with Scumbacks in them for people to try out as well.

I only have one or two combo chassis leftover from the original 10 I got four years ago, so that's all that will be made before I switch over to just heads. There is one Capt Crunch for sale, the tweed one pictured on the website. The owner just has way too many amps and he's downsizing so his significant other doesn't throw him out of the house! He has quite a collection and she's tired of seeing a 5 bedroom house with 3 bedrooms (plus a separate 10x15 ft building in the back yard) filled with amps. So he had to cut back somewhere. LOL The client is asking $1800 for the Capt Crunch combo and it's in 9.5 of 10 condition and sounds right.

I hope everyone got their fill of Hebrew National hot dogs and Tecate beers yesterday, and thanks to everyone attending, including my backup band with Dan Malouin on bass, and Jake Jacobs on drums, with guitarists Billy Yates and Jeff Jourard stepping up to play some as well.

There's two hours of DV tape of the playing so when I get that transferred and uploaded to youtube I'll post a link or two.

Thanks again to everyone who attended the event! We had a lot of fun.

11. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the run down on the "Crunch Amps". Sound like KILLER amps. I'd definitely be in the market for one if I hadn't just bought the Tremblelux from Lou. Still, I'm looking forward to hearing more about them.
    By the way, I'm about ready to install the M75 in the Tremblelux. Can't wait to hear it.

Tom

12. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

13. PhaTz

PhaTz Member

The first time I heard the Major Crunch amp.. I knew I had to have one. I am still the proud owner of a Dr Foot Constructed MAJOR CRUNCH combo 212 Rawk Box ! Its Class A presence and breakup raises the bar for other Class A amps.. I can't wait for Jim to License the Design to someone artful enough to bring this amp back into production because I would really dig on having two of these dudes in stereo !