Southern Virginia - North Carolina Guitar Stores

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by pgurlea, Feb 24, 2009.

1. pgurlea

pgurlea Shallow Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I thought this had been covered but I could not find enough data to keep me from asking. My son and I are taking a road trip this weekend to visit Fat Sound Guitars and Indoor Storm. I am driving from Northern, VA and I’ll pick him up in Williamsburg. What music stores for guitar and bass do you recommend we check out in Southern, VA & North Carolina?
    Thanks,
    Paul

2. fretless

fretless Silver Supporting Member

Alpha Music in Virgina Beach. It's a big store for a "mom and pop". They've been around for over 20 years. Huge selection of the average brands, but they always carry some "booteek" lines, especially with amps. Overall their selection caters more for the seasoned player and less for the student/teenager (it aint Guitar Center). Guitar wise they always have a fair amount of Fender custom shop stuff, which is notable. Lots of Top Hat, Dr. Z, they also have the new Suhr amps. Great pedal selection as well (some booteek there as well). You should check their website as well. Very good staff who know their stuff.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  3. whitehall

whitehall Member

Yep, Alpha, and the GC a couple of miles away on the same road is really good for a GC. Say hi to Ron, the luthier there. Otherwise , there ain't squat. Oh , there's Moes Music also on Va bch blvd. But it ain't much.

4. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

If you make it to Eastern NC you HAVE to check out Greenville guitars...:hide..... Legendary

5. pgurlea

Alpha and GC. Got it thanks.
    Paul

6. rickmebe

rickmebe Member

Since you'll be in the Raleigh/Durham area you might want to check out Sound Pure. They have a boutique guitar and amp showroom. You'll need to call ahead and make an appointment.

http://www.soundpure.com/index.jsp

7. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

If you DO stop by GC, please say hello.:BEER

8. Stike

Stike Member

That place is nice. Have them give you directions to The Federal, great place to eat.

9. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

You'll love Fat Sound Guitars and Indoor Storm. Two killer shops!

I need to check out Sound Pure myself!

10. klatuu

klatuu Member

I was in fatsound a couple of weeks ago and they didn't have a lot of inventory........

11. Taller

Taller Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    Never thought I'd see the day when a query like this wouldn't include Audio Light and Musical in Norfolk. They used to be the shizzle, but alas how the mighty have fallen. Last time I was in there I felt ashamed for what once was.
    :cry:
    Yup, Alpha and GC are your best bets.

12. urbanhiker

urbanhiker Member

Is Harry's Guitar Shop in Raleigh still kickin'?

13. 73171

73171 Member

urbanhiker wrote:
    Is Harry's Guitar Shop in Raleigh still kickin'?

YES! Harry's always has a nice selection of Taylors and Martins....and they usually have 3-4 James Goodalls, too. They often get clean Silverface Fender amps on consignment.

http://www.harrysguitarshop.com/

It's dangerous for my wallet..I work only 1.5 miles from Harry's !

14. Mark Ray

Mark Ray The RockTrain Gold Supporting Member

Big ups for Indoor Storm!

Mark

15. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

yes, AL&M used to be quite good. for awhile i was thinking that they were downsizing to a new location. i know that the old location is history as there is realty sign there and no activity. not sure if they are still around here tucked in to a smaller store. if anyone knows, do tell...

edit: looks like they have also moved to VB blvd:
    [​IMG]

PHONE...
    (757) 853-2424

STORE HOURS...
    MONDAY - SATURDAY: 10am - 6pm
    SUNDAY: CLOSED

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION...
    5957 E. Virginia Beach Blvd.
    Norfolk, VA 23502

they have a website up now. might be worth checkingout.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  16. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

Al&M is ok (too far a drive for me, Im right near Alpha)...Alpha has a good selection (Jazzmasters, Jaguars, RWs, plenty of GIbsons) they have some great amps (VOX, Dr Z etc ) some pedals (Addrock they carry) plus all the MXR and EH pedals...They also have a used section. Guitar Center is what it is...thats pretty much it for VB

17. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

AL&M used to be such a great store. Andersons, Bogner...all kinds of good stuff. I really miss A&E music too. It was my second home when I was a teenager. They had a great, friendly vibe that was and still is what I think a music store should have.

18. rslowr

rslowr Member

just NORTH of Williamsburg on rt 17, just across the bridge in Gloucester, is Winter Sound. They have a sweet acoustic room -- lots of Taylors, but other stuff as well (I bought my Martin there). A good spread of new and used amps, and always some interesting used electrics. All players' stuff. Good atmosphere too.

you could pop over there on the way to VB and Alpha.

19. pgurlea

You got it jazzandmetal dude.
    Thanks,
    Paul

20. rybass

rybass Member

If you are near Greensboro NC Don's Music and the Music Barn. Don's has a nice little collection of odds and ends including a brown face deluxe and a few second hand gems. Also Don's has there original shop in Burlington but I have never been so I can't speak for the inventory but Don's crew are some of the nicest guys, not the most knowledge but willing to let you take anything for a spin.

If you are near Concord; Mullis Music has a tremendous collection of used and vintage and is also an Orange and G&L dealer. Great guys too.