Sovtek Mig 100. What tubes should I buy?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by old-crony, Aug 22, 2006.

1. old-crony

old-crony Member

Ive never had to buy tubes before. but now is the time, and I want the best tone possible. So I come to you guys for answers. Its a Sovtek Mig 100, right now it has Sovtek brand tubes in it. I can post more details tonight if requested. I play a Fender Jazzmaster & a PRS Santana SE. I want a good clean fat tone. Thanks

2. Reeek

Reeek Member

I doubt they are still available in matched quads but it sounds like you would be well suited with a matched quad of JAN Philips 7581A's.

Mike at www.kcanostubes.com used to have them but I think his stock is depleting.

I'm sure you'll get many more replies regarding new production tubes. I'm just not experienced with those.

Good luck!

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

New stuff - JJ's

4. rooster

rooster Member

Agreed. With the crappy sounding OT's on the Sovtek amps, it's not worth the price of old-stock tubes. That's my opinion, of course, YMMV.

rooster.

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I'd go with upgraded new production tubes. The Tung Sol Reissue 12AX7s are quite toneful as are the Groove Tubes 6L6GEs or SED 6l6GCs.

The 7581As (thank's Reek) are gone, probably forever.