sovtek mig 50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Glass Onion, May 2, 2008.

1. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Toneful truth seeker. Gold Supporting Member

Does it sound as good as I remember. I had one when I was 19 (33 now). I remember a great pedal platform and a really good clean amp. I am I just being nostalgic or is it as good as I recollect. I have a THD Univalve and am looking for a good solid AB style amp fro loud rock.:BEER

2. MilkNCereal

MilkNCereal Member

I have a Mig50h and it is very cool. I got it for $180 at GC last year. It has awesome marshall crunch and fender cleans with the roll of the volume knob. Have you seen the transformer on that? It takes up half the chassis!

-Ryan

3. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I played through one a few years back. Sounded great. Very Fender Bassman like tone. I'd like to hear it again now.

4. southpawmax

southpawmax Member

The one I heard was practically JCM 800 tone! Admittedly it was a punk band and cranked, but there were no pedals.

5. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

I got the 30, one of the first in the US. It is super clean, huge bottom end from the insane gigantoid Soviet-era tranny in there, and hard to overdrive, thus makes the perfect mule for pedals.

6. Stratophile

Stratophile Member

What a great amp. A friend of mine has one and you can easily get a million tones out of that thing. All usable. Very much an underrated forgotten about amp.

7. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Saw one at the Dallas Guitar Show two weeks ago and it brought back a flood of memories. Very cool, solid amp.

8. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

They claim to have copied the Bassman circuit, complete with a bright/clean (Fendery) and dark, slightly overdriven input (Marshally). Basically how my 30 works. A very nice amp, and built to withstand a nuclear holocaust. They'll still be around when cockroaches with mullets are shredding and pinching harmonics on em.

9. wyatt

wyatt Member

The original Mig 50 (not the Midget and not the 50H, which were different circuits) was designed by Tony Bruno and is very much a solid-state-rectified Tweed Bassman/JTM-45 with the tone stack values smack right in the middle.

Of course, the most famous defect was an underpowered output transformer on the first year or two which often blew.

10. donkers

donkers Member

i had the tube midget mig 50h and it was an awesome amp. if i got the chance to pick another one up i'd be all over it.

11. Jay-

Jay- Member

I have the mig 60.
    I get fender cleans and kick ass Marshall take the paint off the walls.
    Using it as a studio amp.

I use three tube screamers and can pretty much dial in any tone I can think of. Its far to loud to play with out a few TS-808. One as a booster, one for gain and another I use for sustain. Also use a boss CS-3.

It does OK with no effects but yes its just to loud that way,

Tame mine with tube screamers!
    Also I have a noise gate as its pretty grainy with so many effects but at this point I'm getting "Radio" tone like vintage classic rock. Just dead nails it for me.

How close is this to a boutique amp? I'm having an all wood case built.
    Hell sure looks like a boutique amp and has all the features of one. (no features)

One thing to note I'm told the Mig 50 is not point to point but the Mig 60 is?
    The Mig 60 is the good one but are more money. The mig 100 is way to loud.

I love this amp!!!

Not sure if it helps you but a link to the high gain input.
    http://www.box.net/shared/ectqpd1444

Yes its all Mig 60 and a mic with single coils! And TS-808.
    You can get any tone.

Yes its punk sounding amp but goes to country and clean.

I think this amp KICKS with blues and classic tone!

EDIT: Im sorry its not for sell!

12. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I am so happy to see this thread; I did a bunch of gigs in Russia last year and they provided the amp; an old Mig-50.

I wanted to take that head home so bad.. It was awesome sounding with a P-90 Les Paul. Classic Rock tones abundant!

13. Jay-

Jay- Member

Wow all you wanted was the amp?
    When I went there all I wanted was a russian woman to take home!

14. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

Wow, they must have cheaped out on the tranny on the 50. My 30 tranny is looks like something the Krell would have built.

15. groovy daddy

groovy daddy Member

Here today-gone tomorrow. Those things were a good amp for the money.