Sovtek MIG 50..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by codyprang, Sep 3, 2008.

1. codyprang

codyprang Member

Just got one of these and I think it's awesome. I'm not a huge fan of modding amps, but this one has a master volume mod (thank god). I don't like the cheap plastic knobs and switches. I feel like the EQ doesn't really do as much as I'd like it to do. But overall, this amp is awesome, especially when you can crank it at about 1 o clock, using both inputs. It's so inexpensive too!

The guy that had it before me put KT66's in and took the 6L6's out. I'm not too terribly familiar with the differences in tubes, as far as the difference in sound goes. What kind of affect does this have on the amp? I'm pretty sure the pot for my 'Mid' knob is broken, haha.

2. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

You could order up some nice new pots and jacks to beef up the amp a bit.

KT-66's are the tubes found in jtm-45 and jtm45/100.

Taken from the Tube Store:
    "[FONT=arial, helvetica]What is a KT type of tube?

The KT series of tubes was developed by MO-Valve aka Genalex in response to Mullard’s development of the pentode. In a pentode a fifth element, the suppressor grid was added to reduce secondary emissions and ensure maximum electron transfer from the cathode to the plate. The kinkless tetrode (KT) tube was developed with beam forming plates to channel that electron flow and avoid infringing on Mullard’s patent. That is a very simplified answer but the difference is important. Pentodes tie the suppressor grid to a pin on the socket. In an EL34 this is pin 1. In most guitar amp applications this pin is externally jumpered to the cathode, in this case pin 8. The KT series of tubes ties the beam forming plates internally to the cathode and pin 1 is unused. The ratings between KT tubes and pentodes are similar. In America this type of tube was referred to as a beam tetrode. This includes the 6L6 and 6V6 as common examples, although they are often referred to incorrectly as pentodes. Do a search on the web and you will find weeks worth of reading as to what people think is the better design or what sounds better. The KT66 and 6L6GC are kissin’ cousins but the similarity ends there. The same holds true for the EL34 and the KT77."

I think Eric Clapton (Bluesbreakers) and Hendrix (jtm 45/100) when I think of kt66 tubes.

dk
    [/FONT]

3. codyprang

codyprang Member

Hey, that's really cool. Do you have any idea where I can get new pots and how hard it would be to replace the existing ones?

Thanks

4. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

Shouldn't be too hard to swap the pots on the Mig as many peope did that anyway.... pots, swithces and jacks were a usual mod.

BTW, I borrowed a friends MIG 50 for a while when I had a '68 Plexi at home as well. The Mig was damn close. Its a great amp. Plug into it and use a Hot Plate or other attenuator and rock on, the overdirve in these things are as good as a great plexi or Bassman.

5. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

too bad it was modded. they sound great as is